Francis Poulenc

Started by Boris_G, July 16, 2007, 12:01:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

I want to an extend an apology to San Antone for my negative tone in regards to the Violin Sonata. I think this is a wonderful work and it's full of emotional suspense. I'm not really sure why I didn't respond to it before or even why I came to my harsh conclusion about it, but, I was wrong, and I'm proud to say I was wrong.

San Antone

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 18, 2019, 10:40:23 AM
I want to an extend an apology to San Antone for my negative tone in regards to the Violin Sonata. I think this is a wonderful work and it's full of emotional suspense. I'm not really sure why I didn't respond to it before or even why I came to my harsh conclusion about it, but, I was wrong, and I'm proud to say I was wrong.

Thanks, but there was no need for an apology, at least not to me.   ;)    All is well.  I am happy that you have found something in the violin sonata to enjoy, I've always thought it was one of his more interesting works.

8)

Mirror Image

Quote from: San Antone on December 18, 2019, 11:34:58 AM
Thanks, but there was no need for an apology, at least not to me.   ;)    All is well.  I am happy that you have found something in the violin sonata to enjoy, I've always thought it was one of his more interesting works.

8)

Well, I feel bad for arguing with you about it, but, yes, I'm quite enjoying it now. There does seem to be a bit of that give-and-take in this work that make the late sonatas so ear-fetching. I'm not sure why Poulenc wrote off these string sonatas, but I think highly of both them.

vers la flamme

^Interesting reading about these Poulenc chamber works. I think I might pick up that Tharaud/Naxos disc that includes the violin sonata – unless there is a better recording out there...? I've been enjoying the piano works of Poulenc (as played by Pascal Rogé, primarily) as well as the Baudo disc that MI previously mentioned in this thread, but I am less up-to-date on his chamber music. Poulenc was a great composer. When I first heard his music I thought I'd discovered the French Prokofiev. But I now see there are more sides to him than that.

P.S. Does anyone else enjoy the C major Novelette as much as I do? I have a CD with a very old recording of Vladimir Horowitz performing it along with other works of Poulenc, Debussy, Prokofiev and Kabalevsky, and it seriously blew me away when I first heard it. Extremely beautiful, brief piano piece.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vers la flamme on December 18, 2019, 03:12:13 PM
^Interesting reading about these Poulenc chamber works. I think I might pick up that Tharaud/Naxos disc that includes the violin sonata – unless there is a better recording out there...? I've been enjoying the piano works of Poulenc (as played by Pascal Rogé, primarily) as well as the Baudo disc that MI previously mentioned in this thread, but I am less up-to-date on his chamber music. Poulenc was a great composer. When I first heard his music I thought I'd discovered the French Prokofiev. But I now see there are more sides to him than that.

P.S. Does anyone else enjoy the C major Novelette as much as I do? I have a CD with a very old recording of Vladimir Horowitz performing it along with other works of Poulenc, Debussy, Prokofiev and Kabalevsky, and it seriously blew me away when I first heard it. Extremely beautiful, brief piano piece.

Yes, that entire Tharaud series on Naxos is excellent and worth looking into. I'm not sure if I'd say these chamber music performance are any better than the ones I've heard from Rogé on Decca or in the Erato (formally EMI) Œuvres complètes box set, but they have certainly convinced me of Poulenc's greatness or, at least, made me appreciate his music even more. Another yes to the Novelettes. A beautiful suite of piano miniatures.

Maestro267

Listening to Les Animaux modèles for the first time...my oh my, this is stunningly beautiful music! Right from the off. Wonderfully scored as well for a decent-sized orchestra, with all sections well represented.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Maestro267 on December 20, 2019, 03:18:24 AM
Listening to Les Animaux modèles for the first time...my oh my, this is stunningly beautiful music! Right from the off. Wonderfully scored as well for a decent-sized orchestra, with all sections well represented.

Yes, that's fantastic work! I need to revisit it at some point.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Nice complete piano works set, including transcribed works. Gray's performance is lyrical and majestic. There is warmness and love in his playing.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on December 16, 2019, 03:00:35 PM
Am I the only person who finds the Concert Champêtre amazing? Poulenc at his quirkiest methinks.

I revisited Les Biches the other day and I was underwhelmed. It's like if Poulenc forced the music to be witty, but without much success IMO. It got tiresome after some minutes.

I like Concert Champetre too. I want to mention 2 recordings- (relatively) old and new one. The Hickox set is not well-known, but the City of London Sinfonia and soloists present very artistic renditions. While the piano concerto is played a little slower, the performance is majestic and atmospheric. Champetre sounds cute, elegant and lively. I've never heard this orchestra except this recording, but their performance is versatile and refined.

The Bebbington/Latham-Koenig album was released only few month ago. The pianist performs the Concerto and the Champetre very well. Interestingly, the Champetre is played with piano rather than harpsichord. I think the song sounds pretty good. Even David Hurwitz, notorious critic on the GMG, liked it. As for my opinion, however, while the materials in the album are well-played, the music lacks nuance and color overall. It is a fine performance, but I would give A minus or B plus. Nonetheless, the album has been well-received by critics, and many people may find the album excellent.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on August 04, 2020, 05:36:38 AM
I like Concert Champetre too. I want to mention 2 recordings- (relatively) old and new one. The Hickox set is not well-known, but the City of London Sinfonia and soloists present very artistic renditions. While the piano concerto is played a little slower, the performance is majestic and atmospheric. Champetre sounds cute, elegant and lively. I've never heard this orchestra except this recording, but their performance is versatile and refined.

The Bebbington/Latham-Koenig album was released only few month ago. The pianist performs the Concerto and the Champetre very well. Interestingly, the Champetre is played with piano rather than harpsichord. I think the song sounds pretty good. Even David Hurwitz, notorious critic on the GMG, liked it. As for my opinion, however, while the materials in the album are well-played, the music lacks nuance and color overall. It is a fine performance, but I would give A minus or B plus. Nonetheless, the album has been well-received by critics, and many people may find the album excellent.

I've wanted to hear the Champêtre in its piano version. That recording looks like the best option.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Some other piano boxes. The Roge box is popular, and the performance is relaxed and lyrical. It is not bad, but it is often slow, flat, and an old style. Eric Parkin generally plays faster than anybody discussed here. I like some of his renditions while I don't like others. Sometimes, some passages fail to shine due to the rapid execution. I like Paul Crossley, but I think that this box is average, if not poor. The music lacks color and uniqueness. The Le Sage set sounds very good. The music is vibrant, colorful and thrilling. The recording sound is very good though personally I would want the left hand side louder. The box includes the well-regarded piano concerti recording with Deneve. Overall, I like the Le Sage set and Antony Gray set I mentioned above.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Herman

The last few days I have been listening a lot to some of Poulenc's chamber music. The sonatas for Clarinet and for Oboe, which are the last pieces he composed, I believe. There are two youtube videos from Radio France, with the soloists from the Philharmonique, Nicolas Baldeyrou and Olivier Doise. Those performances are really top grade.

A piece I had not known for several decades is L'invitation au Chateau, for piano, violin and clarinet. It's from 1947 and on the lighter side, with two waltzes and a tango. Quite enjoyable.

ritter

Quote from: Herman on January 10, 2021, 03:03:38 AM
A piece I had not known for several decades is L'invitation au Chateau, for piano, violin and clarinet. It's from 1947 and on the lighter side, with two waltzes and a tango. Quite enjoyable.
I listened to that not too long ago. It's the incidental music to a play by Jean Anouilh (whose work I'll start exploring sometime soon). I enjoyed L'Invitation au Château.

Herman

Yeah, I know. I believe Anouilh's instruction was that it should not sound "like music".

Mirror Image

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on October 09, 2020, 06:43:18 AM
Some other piano boxes. The Roge box is popular, and the performance is relaxed and lyrical. It is not bad, but it is often slow, flat, and an old style. Eric Parkin generally plays faster than anybody discussed here. I like some of his renditions while I don't like others. Sometimes, some passages fail to shine due to the rapid execution. I like Paul Crossley, but I think that this box is average, if not poor. The music lacks color and uniqueness. The Le Sage set sounds very good. The music is vibrant, colorful and thrilling. The recording sound is very good though personally I would want the left hand side louder. The box includes the well-regarded piano concerti recording with Deneve. Overall, I like the Le Sage set and Antony Gray set I mentioned above.

My go-to pianist in the solo piano works is Gabriel Tacchino. He's done for these works what Aldo Ciccolini has done for Satie.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 14, 2021, 08:26:44 PM
My go-to pianist in the solo piano works is Gabriel Tacchino. He's done for these works what Aldo Ciccolini has done for Satie.

Yes, his disc sounds very good.

Symphonic Addict

Today this was playing here at home. No wonder if it's considered Poulenc's magnum opus. The music is very lyrical and tinged with much drama at once. The historic facts that inspired it are tragic, and Poulenc really succeeded at portraying them in music. The result is nothing short of exceptional IMO.

The recording and performance were up to the expectations as well.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on May 26, 2021, 05:33:20 PM

Today this was playing here at home. No wonder if it's considered Poulenc's magnum opus. The music is very lyrical and tinged with much drama at once. The historic facts that inspired it are tragic, and Poulenc really succeeded at portraying them in music. The result is nothing short of exceptional IMO.

The recording and performance were up to the expectations as well.

Look at us, Cesar. We're turning into opera snobs! ;) ;D But, seriously, this is a fine opera and gorgeous. I need to revisit it. I remember liking the Nagano performance, but I don't have anything to compare it to as it's the only one I've heard.

T. D.

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 26, 2021, 05:57:49 PM
Look at us, Cesar. We're turning into opera snobs! ;) ;D But, seriously, this is a fine opera and gorgeous. I need to revisit it. I remember liking the Nagano performance, but I don't have anything to compare it to as it's the only one I've heard.

For some reason, I thought you owned the Poulenc EMI Oeuvres complètes box...That has a 1958 recording with Théâtre National de l'Opéra de Paris, cond. Pierre Dervaux.
[That's the only recording I own, though I've seen it live. With very few exceptions, I just don't have the budget or shelf space to go for multiple recordings of operas.]