Francis Poulenc

Started by Boris_G, July 16, 2007, 12:01:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 26, 2021, 05:57:49 PM
Look at us, Cesar. We're turning into opera snobs! ;) ;D But, seriously, this is a fine opera and gorgeous. I need to revisit it. I remember liking the Nagano performance, but I don't have anything to compare it to as it's the only one I've heard.

Certainly, there are many outstanding operas that I shouldn't miss. I'm tempted to follow with Schreker. In spite of it's not my favorite form, I'm appreciating operas more and more. This one by Poulenc has proved to be worth listening.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: T. D. on May 26, 2021, 06:28:02 PM
For some reason, I thought you owned the Poulenc EMI Oeuvres complètes box...That has a 1958 recording with Théâtre National de l'Opéra de Paris, cond. Pierre Dervaux.
[That's the only recording I own, though I've seen it live. With very few exceptions, I just don't have the budget or shelf space to go for multiple recordings of operas.]

Ah yes, I do own that set, T. D., but I haven't listened to that Dervaux recording. I owned the Nagano previously and have only listened to that one.

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on May 26, 2021, 05:33:20 PM

Today this was playing here at home. No wonder if it's considered Poulenc's magnum opus. The music is very lyrical and tinged with much drama at once. The historic facts that inspired it are tragic, and Poulenc really succeeded at portraying them in music. The result is nothing short of exceptional IMO.

The recording and performance were up to the expectations as well.

+1 A masterpiece. Poulenc is undoubtedly one of the greatest composers of vocal music ever. His writing for the voice is so natural and lyrical, without any recourse to conventional operatic histrionics.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

SonicMan46

Poulenc - any new recommendations?  Just perused this 16 page or so thread and was surprised not to find a post from me!  I've been a fan of Poulenc and Satie (kind of think of them together?) for decades - currently I own the three 5-disc boxes below top row (all mentioned in these pages and generally well received) and a Rutter recording that includes the Gloria; also the Gloria & Stabat Mater are on the 5th disc of the Dutoit box.

Just looked on Amazon USA and saw a number of other multi-disc selections, just put in 4 below in the bottom row; the Naxos offering looks like a re-release of the box I own, but has there been any re-mastering?  The second LARGE box seems to contain a LOT of vocal works which many posting in this thread enjoy, but just not up my alley.  There appear to be other piano offerings but I've always enjoyed Rogé.  Finally the Nash Ensemble is on 2 discs so doubt that it is 'complete' - but any thoughts would be appreciated.  Thanks - Dave :)

MusicTurner

Quote from: kyjo on May 27, 2021, 07:11:12 AM
+1 A masterpiece. Poulenc is undoubtedly one of the greatest composers of vocal music ever. His writing for the voice is so natural and lyrical, without any recourse to conventional operatic histrionics.

I think this recording is better, with more sense of the 'symphonic' aspect of the work, and better sound, than the old Dervauc on EMi.

MusicTurner

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 20, 2022, 11:21:35 AM
Poulenc - any new recommendations?  Just perused this 16 page or so thread and was surprised not to find a post from me!  I've been a fan of Poulenc and Satie (kind of think of them together?) for decades - currently I own the three 5-disc boxes below top row (all mentioned in these pages and generally well received) and a Rutter recording that includes the Gloria; also the Gloria & Stabat Mater are on the 5th disc of the Dutoit box.

Just looked on Amazon USA and saw a number of other multi-disc selections, just put in 4 below in the bottom row; the Naxos offering looks like a re-release of the box I own, but has there been any re-mastering?  The second LARGE box seems to contain a LOT of vocal works which many posting in this thread enjoy, but just not up my alley.  There appear to be other piano offerings but I've always enjoyed Rogé.  Finally the Nash Ensemble is on 2 discs so doubt that it is 'complete' - but any thoughts would be appreciated.  Thanks - Dave :)

I own the EMI complete works box, plus parts of most of the others, some of which are perhaps more inspiring musically. If you're not a completist, the two Roge sets might be the best start. The Naxos chamber music is also good and tends to be better than on EMI also, I think. I prefer Roge in the piano works to the EMI as well, but don't have his complete set.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Poulenc - any new recommendations?

The Eric Parkin/Chandos is excellent. Also the discs below are vg.

SonicMan46

Quote from: MusicTurner on May 20, 2022, 11:46:34 AM
I own the EMI complete works box, plus parts of most of the others, some of which are perhaps more inspiring musically. If you're not a completist, the two Roge sets might be the best start. The Naxos chamber music is also good and tends to be better than on EMI also, I think. I prefer Roge in the piano works to the EMI as well, but don't have his complete set.

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on May 20, 2022, 01:09:57 PM
The Eric Parkin/Chandos is excellent. Also the discs below are vg.

Thanks Guys for the comments - since I've been culling Poulenc for years, these 3 boxes in my collection obviously have satisfied, BUT a possible replacement/addition for Rogé piques my interest - have been looking at reviews and Parkin is not well received by the Fanfare critics and Gray reviews are almost non-existent (found one - see attachment) - BUT Gray is 5-discs and not cheap - I'll be interested in others' impressions of Gray's performances and will look for a less expensive option.  Thanks again!  Dave :)

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 20, 2022, 01:53:55 PM
Thanks Guys for the comments - since I've been culling Poulenc for years, these 3 boxes in my collection obviously have satisfied, BUT a possible replacement/addition for Rogé piques my interest - have been looking at reviews and Parkin is not well received by the Fanfare critics and Gray reviews are almost non-existent (found one - see attachment) - BUT Gray is 5-discs and not cheap - I'll be interested in others' impressions of Gray's performances and will look for a less expensive option.  Thanks again!  Dave :)

Sounds very democratic!  ;D

SonicMan46

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on May 20, 2022, 02:17:51 PM
Sounds very democratic!  ;D

8)  - as Karl would respond chortle - Dave  :laugh:

Mirror Image

The Naxos chamber music box set, the Dutoit orchestral/concertos/choral set on Decca, the Complete set from Erato (originally released on EMI), James Conlon's two disc traversal of the concerti on Erato and Kent Nagano's recording of Dialogues des Carmélites is all I have ripped to my computer of Poulenc's music (I own many more recordings of course) and I'm quite content with this.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

I don't know what critics say, but this is very good as well.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on May 22, 2022, 06:36:20 AM
I don't know what critics say, but this is very good as well.

Thanks DBK - put together a LONG Spotify playlist w/ Gray, Parkin, & Le Sage - listened to about 3 of 5 Gray discs, he's good but Rogé still pleases, plus the 'used' OOP boxes are not priced attractively.  I don't like the Parkin reviews so may not even listen to him.  NOW, Le Sage is in my collection, e.g. his Schumann piano box, so I'll soon give him a listen but again OOP 'used' and not cheap - hoping to find 'something' at BRO but no luck.  Dave :)

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 22, 2022, 07:34:16 AM
Thanks DBK - put together a LONG Spotify playlist w/ Gray, Parkin, & Le Sage - listened to about 3 of 5 Gray discs, he's good but Rogé still pleases, plus the 'used' OOP boxes are not priced attractively.  I don't like the Parkin reviews so may not even listen to him.  NOW, Le Sage is in my collection, e.g. his Schumann piano box, so I'll soon give him a listen but again OOP 'used' and not cheap - hoping to find 'something' at BRO but no luck.  Dave :)

Sounds like no need to buy a physical box of Le Sage now. Please enjoy his performance via Spotify. Please give Eric Parkin a fair chance without a preconceived idea, imho.