Francis Poulenc

Started by Boris_G, July 16, 2007, 12:01:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandra

I love Poulenc's choral works!

There's an amazing, high quality, complete recording available on YouTube. Watching it totally made my Sunday evening!

http://youtu.be/Z44NHxRLZM8
"Pay no attention to what the critics say... Remember, a statue has never been set up in honor of a critic!" - J. Sibelius

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Sandra on August 21, 2011, 10:38:21 PM
I love Poulenc's choral works!

There's an amazing, high quality, complete recording available on YouTube. Watching it totally made my Sunday evening!

http://youtu.be/Z44NHxRLZM8

Love it! Thanks for the post, Sandra.

Poulenc is a one of a kind, anyone who can compose Sonata for Clarinet & piano, Concerto for Organ, strings & timpani, and Mass in G major in the same lifetime has my ears.
Here is my current favorite Poulenc disc...

[asin]B00303WQ2Y[/asin]

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on August 22, 2011, 04:36:34 AMPoulenc is a one of a kind, anyone who can compose Sonata for Clarinet & piano, Concerto for Organ, strings & timpani, and Mass in G major in the same lifetime has my ears.

Poulenc is still neglected amongst classical listeners. I hardly ever see him programmed in concerts or at least by my local orchestra: the Atlanta Symphony. A few of my favorite Poulenc works are Oboe Sonata, Stabat Mater, Gloria, Concerto for Two Pianos, and Concerto for Organ, Strings, and Percussion. Even though I've known and listened to Poulenc's music for years, I'm still in the process of discovering it.

AllegroVivace

Even when he was alive, he was never very popular. I'm a afraid it had something to do with his charisma. I read lots of composer biographies and Poulenc didn't come across as an interesting man. He was a great musician and a genius composer but he didn't have the kind of idiosyncrasies that such great individuals usually have. Perhaps because of this he lost some important connections that might have secured a wider recognition for him.

One thing I feel isn't discussed often is Poulenc's creative approach to orchestration - especially in works involving choirs as well (Stabat Mater, Gloria). The balance is very delicate and smooth.
Richard

Mirror Image

Quote from: AllegroVivace on August 23, 2011, 02:45:34 PM
Even when he was alive, he was never very popular. I'm a afraid it had something to do with his charisma. I read lots of composer biographies and Poulenc didn't come across as an interesting man. He was a great musician and a genius composer but he didn't have the kind of idiosyncrasies that such great individuals usually have. Perhaps because of this he lost some important connections that might have secured a wider recognition for him.

One thing I feel isn't discussed often is Poulenc's creative approach to orchestration - especially in works involving choirs as well (Stabat Mater, Gloria). The balance is very delicate and smooth.

He learned orchestration from none other than Charles Koechlin. So he learned the right way. ;)

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 23, 2011, 08:58:28 AM
...by my local orchestra: the Atlanta Symphony.

I see we will be neighbors soon.  :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on August 23, 2011, 04:20:37 PM
I see we will be neighbors soon.  :)

You're moving to Atlanta?

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 23, 2011, 04:21:53 PM
You're moving to Atlanta?

As soon as my home in Richmond, VA sells...which might be never the way things are going. But I'm excited for the move, I really like Atlanta.

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on August 23, 2011, 04:25:06 PM
As soon as my home in Richmond, VA sells...which might be never the way things are going. But I'm excited for the move, I really like Atlanta.

I'm not a fan of large cities, which why I don't live in Atlanta, but 40 miles away from it. :) The traffic in Atlanta is horrendous.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 23, 2011, 04:27:13 PM
I'm not a fan of large cities, which why I don't live in Atlanta, but 40 miles away from it. :) The traffic in Atlanta is horrendous.

I like being near large cities, mainly for the culture and arts it provides, but we plan on living outside of the city, preferably south. We like quiet living.  :)
The Richmond Symphony is a good symphony for what it offers, which is one concert series a month with decent programs. But I miss being near a major orchestra, I grew up in New Jersey, and through high school and college I would take the train to see the Philadelphia Orchestra and the New York Phil. often, so I became spoiled early on.

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on August 23, 2011, 05:16:39 PM
I like being near large cities, mainly for the culture and arts it provides, but we plan on living outside of the city, preferably south. We like quiet living.  :)
The Richmond Symphony is a good symphony for what it offers, which is one concert series a month with decent programs. But I miss being near a major orchestra, I grew up in New Jersey, and through high school and college I would take the train to see the Philadelphia Orchestra and the New York Phil. often, so I became spoiled early on.

One doesn't need a large city to view art my friend. Take a walk on a nature trail. Go visit an aquarium. Art is all around us. Atlanta isn't exactly a place I think cultivates art. Anyway, that's another topic for another day...BACK TO POULENC!

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 23, 2011, 06:08:00 PM
One doesn't need a large city to view art my friend. Take a walk on a nature trail. Go visit an aquarium. Art is all around us. Atlanta isn't exactly a place I think cultivates art. Anyway, that's another topic for another day...BACK TO POULENC!

Speaking of me wanting to live south of the city...this conversantion just went south.  :P ;D

But you're right, MI...BACK TO POULENC!

Madiel

Goodness me. No-one's mentioned Poulenc for a year?

I've just been reacquainting myself with the disc I have of piano music for the first time in... ahem, nearly 3 years.  And there's some wonderful stuff.  I've just found myself being particularly taken with the Intermezzo in A flat major.

It's Pascal Roge.  Fairly sure that the 5-disc version of Roge's performances (including 2-piano music and chamber music) is going to win out in my current laborious decision-making process for buying some box sets.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

snyprrr

Quote from: orfeo on September 09, 2012, 02:17:35 AM
Goodness me. No-one's mentioned Poulenc for a year?

I've just been reacquainting myself with the disc I have of piano music for the first time in... ahem, nearly 3 years.  And there's some wonderful stuff.  I've just found myself being particularly taken with the Intermezzo in A flat major.

It's Pascal Roge.  Fairly sure that the 5-disc version of Roge's performances (including 2-piano music and chamber music) is going to win out in my current laborious decision-making process for buying some box sets.

I just discovered the Sinfonietta, very nice neoclassicism.

TheGSMoeller

Speaking of Sinfonietta, this is a superb recording by Ronald Corp and The New London Orchestra, also featuring Aubade, one of my favorite from Poulenc...

...has become one of my most listened to Poulenc discs.

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on September 09, 2012, 07:40:49 AM
Speaking of Sinfonietta, this is a superb recording by Ronald Corp and The New London Orchestra, also featuring Aubade, one of my favorite from Poulenc...

...has become one of my most listened to Poulenc discs.

Do own the Dutoit set of Poulenc, Greg? This is an essential acquisition for the Poulenc fan IMHO.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 10, 2012, 09:41:28 PM
Do own the Dutoit set of Poulenc, Greg? This is an essential acquisition for the Poulenc fan IMHO.

I do. And I agree. 

Add the Naxos chamber music series and one could easily own all of Poulenc's major instrumental works.

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on September 11, 2012, 02:59:05 AM
I do. And I agree. 

Add the Naxos chamber music series and one could easily own all of Poulenc's major instrumental works.

Yes, I own that Naxos chamber box as well. :) Fine music.

Madiel

Ack. Everyone stop telling me how wonderful the Naxos chamber music is when I'm about to buy the Roge piano/chamber box set!
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: orfeo on September 11, 2012, 04:36:53 AM
Ack. Everyone stop telling me how wonderful the Naxos chamber music is when I'm about to buy the Roge piano/chamber box set!

Just depends if you want more piano or chamber music. I think the Roge only has one chamber disc.