Francis Poulenc

Started by Boris_G, July 16, 2007, 12:01:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snyprrr

What are your thoughts about a Poulenc String Quartet? I thought it would be four short movements, a Mozart SQ reduced to ten minutes, with a minute-scherzo and a haunting Nocturne flanked by two rather humorous and heroic outer movements.

Madiel

I am loving Poulenc the chamber music composer.  The trio for oboe, bassoon and piano is a total delight. Amongst his earlier works, this is currently a standout.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

kyjo

In Poulenc's chamber oeuvre, nothing beats the cello and clarinet sonatas IMO. They're sublime works shot through a vein of nostalgia and filled with Poulenc's fresh lyricism.

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on November 25, 2013, 11:31:06 AM
In Poulenc's chamber oeuvre, nothing beats the cello and clarinet sonatas IMO. They're sublime works shot through a vein of nostalgia and filled with Poulenc's fresh lyricism.

I think the Oboe Sonata is just as sublime as those works, Kyle. There's many gems in Poulenc's chamber oeuvre.

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 25, 2013, 11:31:59 AM
I think the Oboe Sonata is just as sublime as those works, Kyle. There's many gems in Poulenc's chamber oeuvre.

Yeah, I knew there was one wind sonata I was forgetting......

North Star

The Flute Sonata is certainly up there with the other sonatas, too.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on November 25, 2013, 11:41:06 AM
Yeah, I knew there was one wind sonata I was forgetting......

Well his whole chamber oeuvre is worth hearing. Lovely music.

Madiel

Well, I finally got to the end of the Pascal Roge box.  I saved the Oboe Sonata until last. Beautiful. Reminds me why I learnt the oboe in high school.

I already jumped back to 'the beginning', this time being chronological. I suspect I'm going to want to explore more of this composer.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: sanantonio on February 13, 2014, 02:31:31 PM
I had dropped this into my Shopping Cart back before it was available.  I am now listening to the Stabat Mater ~

[asin]B00ENZUULC[/asin]

Patricia Petibon is very good in this music.

I believe you that Petibon is very good, but became a bit skeptical about Järvi so I never dropped this one in my cart. Am I wrong?

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: sanantonio on February 13, 2014, 03:37:23 PM
This is a promo clip but does contain some nice excerpts.  I don't think Parvi should concern you, the orchestra sounds really good, maybe a bit muscular for Poulenc and because he hears the music with some irony, something he thinks Poulenc wrote into it - his is not an overly religious interpretation.

https://www.youtube.com/v/c1TGfYiiEE0

If you have access to MOG, or Spotify, the entire CD can be found there.

I like it.

Most of my Järvi experiences seem to find him preferring speedy interpretations, and muscular is a possible spot on description (a former Cincinnati Symphony musician told me how the timpanist was always breaking mallets because of Jarvi).
Spotify it is. Thank you, SA.

Brian

Do Spotify it, Greg. I got it and have only listened to the Gloria, and that only once. But at the end of my listen the thought which occurred to me was, "Huh. I guess I don't like this piece as much as I thought." Luckily I also grabbed Dutoit before my Great CD Buying Embargo of 2014, so some time soon when it's convenient I will compare them side-by-side and figure out what is really going on.

Mirror Image

Quote from: sanantonio on February 13, 2014, 05:47:28 PM
I have to say now that I've listened to the whole CD, it is a very mixed bag.  Some sections, mainly the solo movements featuring Petibon are nicely done.  But in some places, Jarvi does not convey the style I expect for Poulenc.  Steely, rushed in places and in a couple of spots during the Stabat Mater, verging on ugly.  It is strange, some parts, e.g. the chorus, and in places the orchestra, sound beautiful.  But then something will happen to destroy the mood entirely.

Disappointing since I was very much looking forward to this recording.

I listened on MOG before buying, and am glad I did.

Thanks for taking one for the team, SA. That Jarvi recording looked interesting, but I then realized that Jarvi isn't quite known for his interpretations of French music, so I let it pass right by me. :)

Moving onto another topic, I've been enjoying Poulenc's chamber music immensely for a couple of years now and I really think everyone should get that Naxos set. Such authoritative performances. A work that caught my ear today was Rapsodie Negre, which I had heard once before but didn't remeber much about it. What an atmospheric piece.

Ken B

Quote from: kyjo on November 25, 2013, 11:31:06 AM

I was very surprised when i first heard his chamber music how ardent it was. The orchestral and piano music is more detached and cool.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Ken B on February 24, 2014, 01:24:47 PMI was very surprised when i first heard his chamber music how ardent it was. The orchestral and piano music is more detached and cool.

The chamber music is definitely more intimate, as one would expect considering the instrumentation. I love the orchestral and chamber music equally, because they offer a glimpse a composer who was in some kind of constant rotation. I'm thinking of picking up a book on Poulenc pretty soon.

To my fellow Poulenc fans, what would you say are Poulenc's top 5 masterpieces and why?

Brian

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 24, 2014, 02:01:41 PM
To my fellow Poulenc fans, what would you say are Poulenc's top 5 masterpieces and why?

I don't have a clue, but the first Poulenc I heard was the flute sonata played by an acquaintance at Rice so I still have much love for that. May have heard the bassoon sonata at that time, too.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on February 24, 2014, 07:35:27 PM
I don't have a clue, but the first Poulenc I heard was the flute sonata played by an acquaintance at Rice so I still have much love for that. May have heard the bassoon sonata at that time, too.

Ah yes, the beautiful Flute Sonata. As I mentioned to you, Brian, if you don't own a box of the chamber works, then do try to acquire one. You won't be sorry. Personally, I'd go for the Naxos set. Nothing but high quality performances throughout. Since you have a subscription to NML, you could definitely sample a lot of the performances. Would be interested in reading your thoughts.

Brian

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 24, 2014, 07:52:35 PM
Ah yes, the beautiful Flute Sonata. As I mentioned to you, Brian, if you don't own a box of the chamber works, then do try to acquire one. You won't be sorry. Personally, I'd go for the Naxos set. Nothing but high quality performances throughout. Since you have a subscription to NML, you could definitely sample a lot of the performances. Would be interested in reading your thoughts.

In 2010 (not 2011 as I posted elsewhere), Lethe posted on this board that NaxosDirect was having a pricing bug in its webshop. As a result, I got two copies each of the "British Symphonies" (25 CDs), "British Orchestral Music" (25 CDs), and "Spanish Classics" (25 CDs) box sets, and the complete Poulenc chamber music, all $2.99 per box. Gave the duplicate copies to a friend. The super-est duper-est cheap bargain in GMG history by far.  :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on February 24, 2014, 08:01:06 PM
In 2010 (not 2011 as I posted elsewhere), Lethe posted on this board that NaxosDirect was having a pricing bug in its webshop. As a result, I got two copies each of the "British Symphonies" (25 CDs), "British Orchestral Music" (25 CDs), and "Spanish Classics" (25 CDs) box sets, and the complete Poulenc chamber music, all $2.99 per box. Gave the duplicate copies to a friend. The super-est duper-est cheap bargain in GMG history by far.  :)

Yep, I just read that unbelievable price you paid for the Poulenc set. I wish more online retailers would have pricing glitches. >:D But, anyway, I shouldn't complain as I got a good deal on the set, too. I believe I paid around $14 for the set. Nothing to scoff at at all.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 24, 2014, 02:01:41 PM
To my fellow Poulenc fans, what would you say are Poulenc's top 5 6 masterpieces and why?

Figure Humaine
Concert Champetre
Sonata for Two Pianos
Aubade
Mass in G
Organ Concerto

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on February 24, 2014, 08:04:12 PM
Figure Humaine
Concert Champetre
Sonata for Two Pianos
Aubade
Mass in G
Organ Concerto

The only work I haven't heard from your list is Figure Humaine. Will change this at some point.