Hello!

Started by kyjo, July 16, 2013, 06:56:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on July 23, 2013, 08:34:58 PM
Maybe my affection for Romantic music will lessen as I age as well-we shall see! As to the Three Russian Songs, ArkivMusic only lists 12 recordings :o

Sculthorpe is a fascinating composer, if not one of my very favorites. It is very difficult for composers these days to develop and individual voice, but Sculthorpe manages to never sound like anyone else. His music isn't neoromantic, neoclassical, dodecaphonic or avant-garde. It doesn't belong to any established "school" of compositional style. I often compare Sculthorpe to the great Icelandic original Jon Leifs in not only the regard that both of their music is very unique, but because their music strongly evokes the ruggedness and wildness of their homelands in a decidedly non-"picture postcard" manner. Also, both composers (Sculthorpe more so than Leifs) have eschewed traditional forms (symphony, concerto, string quartet etc.) in favor of single-movement, descriptive pieces.

I love Scriabin's music and I've always wished he had written more orchestral pieces! Ever since I heard the finale of his Symphony no. 2, I've never been able to dislodge it from my memory! The Decca 3-CD set containing most of the orchestral works conducted by Ashkenazy is one of the most-played items in my collection. Do you know the Muti renditions of the symphonies? They have received praise in many circles but I have not heard them.

Sculthorpe is definitely in a class of his own. I wouldn't say he turned his back completely on the classical forms as he's written 17 or 18 SQs already and has also written a Requiem. But his earthy tone poems are something else. Great works. I listened to Mangrove twice in a row last night. Really love that work as well as Kakadu, Earth Cry, Memento mori, the Sun Music series, Piano Concerto, Lament for String Orchestra, Nourlangie, Cello Dreaming, Quamby, and the list goes on. Certainly a singular compositional voice. Kudos for mentioning Leifs. Many months ago, he was my avatar. :)

I highly recommend Muti's Scriabin symphony set. Some of the most intense and passionate performances on record IMHO. You will not be disappointed. The set has received high marks for a reason. Ashkenazy, by comparison, is tame and doesn't drive the music hard enough.

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 24, 2013, 05:57:44 PM
Sculthorpe is definitely in a class of his own. I wouldn't say he turned his back completely on the classical forms as he's written 17 or 18 SQs already and has also written a Requiem. But his earthy tone poems are something else. Great works. I listened to Mangrove twice in a row last night. Really love that work as well as Kakadu, Earth Cry, Memento mori, the Sun Music series, Piano Concerto, Lament for String Orchestra, Nourlangie, Cello Dreaming, Quamby, and the list goes on. Certainly a singular compositional voice. Kudos for mentioning Leifs. Many months ago, he was my avatar. :)

I highly recommend Muti's Scriabin symphony set. Some of the most intense and passionate performances on record IMHO. You will not be disappointed. The set has received high marks for a reason. Ashkenazy, by comparison, is tame and doesn't drive the music hard enough.

Wow! I wasn't aware Sculthorpe had composed so many string quartets! Thanks for your feedback on the Muti set. That's definitely going on my want list! BTW Golovschin and the Moscow SO on Naxos deliver surprisingly competitive renditions of The Divine Poem and The Poem of Ecstacy. What they lack somewhat in polish they more than make up for in their red-blooded, unmistakably Slavic intensity.

springrite

Quote from: kyjo on July 17, 2013, 08:57:20 AM
Thank you as well, Brewski :) I don't know how I forgot to include that Bruckner is one of my favorite composers. He would probably rank right behind Shostakovich on my list. Some other little-known composers who have impressed me deeply are Nikolai Myaskovsky, Eduard Tubin and Kalevi Aho.

P.S. This forum is HUGE! :o

No composer is "little known" here at GMG. Everyone has his (or her) following. The Havergal Brian thread alone is over 280 pages long! So you are right at home here.

You've got to try some Henning...
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

springrite

Quote from: vandermolen on July 23, 2013, 10:56:18 AM
Miaskovsky also rates very high. Today I listened to his 13th String Quartet not realising how great it was.

I regret not having the complete quartets, as I am one or two CDs short of that. They are indeed great stuff!

kyjo

Quote from: springrite on July 24, 2013, 08:08:55 PM
No composer is "little known" here at GMG. Everyone has his (or her) following. The Havergal Brian thread alone is over 280 pages long! So you are right at home here.

You've got to try some Henning...

I meant little-known to the "average" classical music admirer, not to the comparatively small fraction that includes the members of this forum that are somehow able to sustain a thread about a generally little-known composer to 288 pages ;D Not every single composer that has ever lived has been discussed here, of course. Therefore, some composers are little-known even to GMG :o

Where can Karl Henning's music be heard?

springrite

Where are you located, Kyjo? From the name I am guessing near my knack of the woods, maybe Japan or Korea? If so we need more discussions on composers other than Isang Yun and Takemitsu.

Henning music... scores are easier to come by (see Henningmusik thread) but if you ever decide to pay a visit to Boston...

kyjo

Quote from: springrite on July 24, 2013, 08:29:19 PM
Where are you located, Kyjo? From the name I am guessing near my knack of the woods, maybe Japan or Korea?

No, I am located in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. My username does sound rather Japanese/Korean, though ;D