Your Pile

Started by Pat B, July 17, 2013, 06:01:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parsifal

Quote from: jut1972 on July 29, 2013, 11:16:04 AMAs a kid I would listen to some albums 100's of times over and over.. now most stuff is lucky if it gets to a third spin.  That's why I need to stop buying, not because of the money, but because I am not giving them the attention they deserve.

Same here.  I doesn't strike me as a problem if I get a recording of a familiar piece and only listen once or twice.  But a lot of what I purchase is music totally new to me and the urgency of listening to the next new thing deprives me of the time needed to get really familiar with the new music.

jut1972

My CD buying addiction summed up perfectly. 
Well I hope our collective weakness has made PatB feel better, this is like a self help group.

My name is Jut and I can't stop buying CDs...

Pat B

Quote from: jut1972 on July 29, 2013, 11:36:41 AM
My CD buying addiction summed up perfectly. 
Well I hope our collective weakness has made PatB feel better, this is like a self help group.

My name is Jut and I can't stop buying CDs...

That's funny but true. What you mentioned about giving them attention is exactly my concern. It's hard to love a disc when I've only listened to it once or twice (or not at all).

My goals are:
1. Do more repeat listening
2. If there is a problem with a newly-bought disc, be able to let the seller know within a reasonable amount of time (10 days is typical for my local stores)
3. Eventually listen to all of the big boxes

Putting those together I think I want to keep my pile mostly in single digits. Right now it's down to 15.5.

Just counting them up in the first place was a startling revelation ("the first step is admitting that you have a problem"). Since then, I haven't stopped buying, but I have slowed down (and I have avoided more big boxes).

pencils

I have given up worrying about it. I am accumulating music far more quickly than I will ever hear.

I admit I have a problem. I could have far more dangerous problems.

Willow Pattern

Theres about 50-100 in my pile at the moment - its taking me 2 years to get around to listening to some stuff!

springrite

Quote from: Conor on August 03, 2013, 12:21:04 AM
Theres about 50-100 in my pile at the moment - its taking me 2 years to get around to listening to some stuff!

That makes us all highly motivated for a long life!

Help! I have no pile left!

Am I kicked out of the group?  :o
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Opus106

Quote from: springrite on August 03, 2013, 12:55:39 AM

Come, join the dark side, helpless one. >:D
Regards,
Navneeth

Willow Pattern

Pat B

No. We need good role models. :laugh:

I've gotten mine down to 10* and while also doing a lot of non-pile listening the past few days. :)

But, a handful more are on their way.

The new erato

Quote from: Pat B on August 04, 2013, 09:28:59 AM

I've gotten mine down to 10*
Is that ten feet or ten yards?

springrite

That makes us all highly motivated for a long life!

Check that. I realize that I still have the MERCURY BOX to go, as well as a little less than 100 CDRs from various sources.

So I am good with the membership.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Pat B

Quote from: The new erato on August 04, 2013, 09:32:59 AM
Is that ten feet or ten yards?

10 x 1.2 mm. :)

Actually I put the asterisk there because I'm not counting several big boxes where I have listened to what I bought them for. But eventually I want to listen to all of them. A detail that probably no one cares about.  :-[

Down to 9 now as I just listened to the last disc of the Fretwork "Music for Viols" set.