Great Places to buy Used Classical CD's outside of NYC in NY/NJ

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 06:04:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

I'd like to ask some of my New York neighbors about great places to buy used CD's outside of New York City. Say upstate or in New Jersey. Something within reasonable driving distance from Manhattan. I have been to Princeton Record Exchange and would like to know about stores with that amount of classical inventory or (hopefully) more. 

Thanks, I am hoping to go on Saturday, so I appreciate any help!

Bunny

Quote from: George on April 06, 2007, 06:04:21 AM
I'd like to ask some of my New York neighbors about great places to buy used CD's outside of New York City. Say upstate or in New Jersey. Something within reasonable driving distance from Manhattan. I have been to Princeton Record Exchange and would like to know about stores with that amount of classical inventory or (hopefully) more. 

Thanks, I am hoping to go on Saturday, so I appreciate any help!

What's Princeton RE like?  I've always wanted to go but haven't had the time on weekends when I have access to the car.

George

Quote from: Bunny on April 06, 2007, 08:10:39 AM
What's Princeton RE like?  I've always wanted to go but haven't had the time on weekends when I have access to the car.

Lots of budget and some regular stuff, but IMO a dissapointment because they only dedicate about 10% of the store to Classical. I found 2 or 3 OOP things so it was worth going, but the website made it look like they have TONS of stuff. Of course they do have TONS, but most of it isn't Classical.  :-[

I'd say its worth the trip every other month or so. 

Bunny

Quote from: George on April 06, 2007, 08:14:05 AM
Lots of budget and some regular stuff, but IMO a dissapointment because they only dedicate about 10% of the store to Classical. I found 2 or 3 OOP things so it was worth going, but the website made it look like they have TONS of stuff. Of course they do have TONS, but most of it isn't Classical.  :-[

I'd say its worth the trip every other month or so. 

Well, there's always Academy Records on 18th Street. 

George

Quote from: Bunny on April 06, 2007, 06:02:04 PM
Well, there's always Academy Records on 18th Street. 

Of course, I'm asking about outside of NYC though.

Bunny

Quote from: George on April 06, 2007, 06:04:46 PM

There's a place in Vermont -- Norbeck, Peters & Ford; telephone  (800) 654-5302.  I've never been there, but they will help you over the phone.  They've never had anything I've been interested in as they specialize mostly in lps and I think they have a website now. 

Lilas Pastia

And if you miss the last exit in Vermont, you'll end up north of the Border :D. Montreal has dozens of used cd stores, many of which have a sizable and very eclectic classical section.

SimonGodders

Fine Records, George Street, Hove, Brighton.

Great selection of new and used and two of the campest shop assistants you'll ever meet. Like a pair of Jhn Inman's (RIP)

:D

George

Quote from: SimonGodders on April 07, 2007, 12:35:20 AM
Fine Records, George Street, Hove, Brighton.

Great selection of new and used and two of the campest shop assistants you'll ever meet. Like a pair of Jhn Inman's (RIP)

:D

As soon as they build a bridge, I'm there.  ::)

George

Quote from: George on April 06, 2007, 06:04:46 PM

...but within New jersey or New York.  ::)

Bunny

Quote from: George on April 07, 2007, 05:20:41 AM
...but within New jersey or New York.  ::)

~George, if I can use the phone afaic, it's next door to me. ;D

SimonGodders

Or do use the Music and Video Exchange in Notting Hill, but their trade in prices are not often that great.... :-\

Bunny

Quote from: SimonGodders on April 07, 2007, 11:44:30 AM
Or do use the Music and Video Exchange in Notting Hill, but their trade in prices are not often that great.... :-\

As soon as they build that bridge I'm really there! ;)