Charles Tournemire 1870-1939

Started by vandermolen, October 28, 2007, 01:46:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: foxandpeng on June 20, 2024, 03:51:15 AMMore Tournemire is always welcome...

I wish a new complete cycle of his symphonies in more authoritative performances (especially regarding Nos. 1, 2 and 4) would be recorded instead of that organ work, or choral works that haven't seen the light of day yet.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

foxandpeng

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on June 20, 2024, 10:14:39 AMI wish a new complete cycle of his symphonies in more authoritative performances (especially regarding Nos. 1, 2 and 4) would be recorded instead of that organ work, or choral works that haven't seen the light of day yet.

Completely agree. Hurray for any Tournemire, but his symphonies first and foremost.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Mandryka

There's too much music in the world really. Tournemire's sequence of Préludes-Poèmes  is another example of the imaginative, the satisfying and the undeservedly neglected. This is Georges Delvallée's recording - he's a well known Tournemite. There's another recording by Lise Boucher. It is very different and no less satisfying, in a different way (softer.)

The music is like nothing else that I know  - I wonder if anyone would disagree with that, I'm maybe not that familiar with French keyboard music from his milieu.

Just saw that Wikipedia asserts "Tournemire a également composé pour le piano, ainsi son cycle de Douze préludes-poèmes op. 58, dans la lignée d'Alexandre Scriabine, Claude Debussy et Maurice Ravel." Maybe.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen