Author Topic: Langgaard's Lyre  (Read 89003 times)

Offline J.Z. Herrenberg

• Veteran member
  • William Havergal Brian, symphonist (1876-1972)
    • JZH Text Services
  • Currently Listening to:
    Bruckner, Wagner, Brian, Bax, Dyson, Delius...
Re: Langgaard's Lyre
« Reply #640 on: November 01, 2020, 03:09:26 AM »
Many thanks for the link. Will be listening later today!
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Offline Symphonic Addict

• Veteran member
« Reply #641 on: November 01, 2020, 07:01:27 AM »
Nice to find a Korean, broadcasted performance of Langgaard's complete 1st Symphony, with a huge orchestra, passionate playing, an enthusiastic conductor knowing the score by heart, and a raving applause at the end ....  :)

Well done, Rued.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MatX5qo9V74

Oh, thank you!!! It will be fascinating to see the huge orchestra playing this epic piece.
«Music is liquid architecture; architecture is frozen music.»

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Offline Maestro267

• Veteran member
    Myaskovsky, Schnittke, Pettersson and others
« Reply #642 on: November 01, 2020, 08:22:38 AM »
Oh, it's back up! That's fantastic! It was on Youtube a while ago, and that performance is what introduced me to said symphony and got me to buy a recording of it.

Offline Symphonic Addict

• Veteran member
« Reply #643 on: January 26, 2021, 05:04:22 PM »
I wonder if the Vienna Philharmonic will continue the series of symphonies. The next natural step should be the 4th Symphony, which I consider one of his most cohesive creations. But to be honest, his recording of the 6th lacks power, and things don't move well. Järvi on Chandos understood better the score. He achieved to hold a taut reading with precise playing, whose result is a thrilling symphonic journey.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #644 on: January 26, 2021, 11:16:58 PM »
I wonder if the Vienna Philharmonic will continue the series of symphonies. The next natural step should be the 4th Symphony, which I consider one of his most cohesive creations. But to be honest, his recording of the 6th lacks power, and things don't move well. Järvi on Chandos understood better the score. He achieved to hold a taut reading with precise playing, whose result is a thrilling symphonic journey.

I hope so. No.4 is my favourite - a great work.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline Symphonic Addict

• Veteran member
« Reply #645 on: March 31, 2021, 04:47:28 PM »

This work had been intriguing me for quite some time. Today was the day to find out. Eminently meditative, pensive, with an important religious gravitas. The quirky Langgaard is absent here. I can't say I enjoyed it as much as I wanted. I'm not too keen on solemn or quiet organ music, and this work has lots of that. The length also helped against it.

Offline J.Z. Herrenberg

• Veteran member
  • William Havergal Brian, symphonist (1876-1972)
    • JZH Text Services
    Bruckner, Wagner, Brian, Bax, Dyson, Delius...
« Reply #646 on: April 01, 2021, 01:36:02 AM »
I really love this piece, and if it were an hour longer, I wouldn't say No... I like the quirky Langgaard just as much, by the way. Perhaps being religious myself is a help.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato