Josef Bohuslav Foerster(1859-1951)

Started by Dundonnell, February 19, 2008, 06:36:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Løvfald

Foerster may not be a 1st tier composer, but he certainly composed some charming pieces. The string quartets are very nice, all of them. The symphonies 1 & 2 are good enough (the best of them is the No. 4 as far as I'm concerned). Don't remember if I've ever heard the piano trios. The piano music is completely unknown to me.
As we acquire knowledge, things do not become more comprehensible, but more mysterious.

Albert Schweitzer

Scion7

Yes, count me as a fan, also.  I personally think he is more successful with chamber and piano works, than with his symphonies.  The concertos are nice.-
(Bruckner's) is the career of a poor village boy ... The one and only really surprising thing about him was that after completing his career as an organist he suddenly began to compose music with a range of vision which in such a man would appear quite incongruous.

calyptorhynchus

I acquired the symphonies box set, and I was listening to it when I had a very peculiar experience. I started with No.5 and although the MDG sound was very good no matter how loudly I turned it up I had the feeling that the music wasn't being assertive enough and seemed like it was the background to something else.
Is No.5 like this? Or are they all like this?

vandermolen

Quote from: Løvfald on February 15, 2020, 11:24:04 AMFoerster may not be a 1st tier composer, but he certainly composed some charming pieces. The string quartets are very nice, all of them. The symphonies 1 & 2 are good enough (the best of them is the No. 4 as far as I'm concerned). Don't remember if I've ever heard the piano trios. The piano music is completely unknown to me.
I like Cyrano de Bergerac as well.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).