The Music Room > Composer Discussion

Vaughan Williams's Veranda

<< < (3/1111) > >>

MishaK:

--- Quote from: Harry on April 12, 2007, 08:33:47 AM ---You are kidding me right?
Are you saying its without this irritating narration?
Then indeed it is a great one.
Heard some fragments from the 5th & 6th symphonies.
Awesome!

--- End quote ---

Yes, Haitink's Antartica is without narration. Boult has the traditionally used poems that RVW put in the original score. Leppard (Indianapolis SO) has a very fine recording with an alternative narration of excerpts from Scott's diaries, which I think works better. Allegedly, Leppard discussed this idea with RVW personally.

Harry:

--- Quote from: O Mensch on April 12, 2007, 08:38:15 AM ---Yes, Haitink's Antartica is without narration. Boult has the traditionally used poems that RVW put in the original score. Leppard (Indianapolis SO) has a very fine recording with an alternative narration of excerpts from Scott's diaries, which I think works better. Allegedly, Leppard discussed this idea with RVW personally.

--- End quote ---

Well I will give it a spin tonight.
Thanks for this wonderful news.

karlhenning:
The only Haitink I've heard is the Pastoral and the Fourth, and it is mighty good.

The superscripts to the five movements of the Sinfonia antartica are entirely absent from the Handley.  They are included on the Kees Bakels disc, but clumped together at the end, so they are easily avoided  8)

BachQ:
My fave is No. 8 in d minor . . . . . . .

karlhenning:
(That was unexpected)

:D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version