Vaughan Williams's Veranda

Started by karlhenning, April 12, 2007, 06:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: madaboutmahler on December 30, 2013, 10:31:28 AM
Starting my first proper exploration into Vaughan Williams' world. For so long, I have only known the 5th and 6th symphonies (plus various other well known pieces), so I am so excited to be going through this cycle..

[asin]B0002RUAFQ[/asin]

As I'm writing this, the Sea Symphony is coming to a close, and I have one word: WOW. Incredible stuff, there are so so many magical moments in this magnificent piece that are truly stunning and very moving. Such an evocative, spellbinding work. I look forward to a second listen but will continue my journey with the 2nd next in the new year. :)

The Haitink version is best of all in my view. It alerted me to the greatness of a work which had largely passed me by for forty years.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Karl Henning

Very agreeable to know, Jeffrey!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 30, 2013, 12:36:01 PM
Thumbs up! My favorite section of A Sea Symphony is The Explorers. Do give this section another listen at some point. Absolutely spellbinding.

I do remember that section being particularly mesmerizing! Great work, I was moved by much of it. Spellbinding ending as well with the juxtaposed chords between high and low.....

Jeffrey, I thought the performance was particularly great too, (even though I haven't heard any others!!), but I'm very excited to hear the rest of the cycle. :)
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

vandermolen

Quote from: madaboutmahler on December 31, 2013, 05:08:43 AM
I do remember that section being particularly mesmerizing! Great work, I was moved by much of it. Spellbinding ending as well with the juxtaposed chords between high and low.....

Jeffrey, I thought the performance was particularly great too, (even though I haven't heard any others!!), but I'm very excited to hear the rest of the cycle. :)

It's a great cycle Daniel and recently reissued on Warner. Happy New Year to you.

madaboutmahler

Just finished listening to the 2nd symphony now.. wow.... so many moments of remarkable beauty. The second movement in particular was absolutely breathtaking in power and haunting gorgeousness. Tear-inducing.. The opening of the whole work was just stunning as well, and the ending of the symphony was spellbinding. Wonderful.  :'( 0:)

And now onto the Tallis Fantasia on the same disc.. :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Mirror Image

Excellent, Daniel! Glad to hear you're enjoying RVW so much. Obviously he's an absolute favorite composer of mine.

In related RVW news for myself, I revisited Flos Campi again a few nights ago and absolutely loved every minute of it. Such an atmospheric work with such an unusual sound. Written for viola, small chorus, and small orchestra. The last moments of the work are absolute heaven.

Brahmsian

Quote from: madaboutmahler on January 01, 2014, 06:04:29 AM
Just finished listening to the 2nd symphony now.. wow.... so many moments of remarkable beauty. The second movement in particular was absolutely breathtaking in power and haunting gorgeousness. Tear-inducing.. The opening of the whole work was just stunning as well, and the ending of the symphony was spellbinding. Wonderful.  :'( 0:)

Glad to hear you are enjoying RVW, Daniel.  :)  The Tallis Fantasia is one of my favourites!  Look forward to your thoughts on Symphony No. 5 (my current favourite), and Symphony No. 6 (my first original favourite RVW symphony).

Happy listening!  :)

vandermolen

Quote from: madaboutmahler on January 01, 2014, 06:04:29 AM

Don't forget to listen to the original 1913 version of 'A London Symphony' on Chandos. I would be interested to hear your views on the sections which VW excised, especially the magical, poetic section just before the end. For me it is the most moving section of the Symphony and I feel sorry that he removed it in 1936.
[asin]B00005B54X[/asin]

madaboutmahler

Quote from: ChamberNut on January 01, 2014, 06:34:12 AM
Glad to hear you are enjoying RVW, Daniel.  :)  The Tallis Fantasia is one of my favourites!  Look forward to your thoughts on Symphony No. 5 (my current favourite), and Symphony No. 6 (my first original favourite RVW symphony).

Happy listening!  :)

Such a beautiful piece, Ray! And 5 and 6 happen to be the ones I already know, and love VERY much! I look forward to listening to them again. :)

Quote from: vandermolen on January 02, 2014, 08:55:44 AM
Don't forget to listen to the original 1913 version of 'A London Symphony' on Chandos. I would be interested to hear your views on the sections which VW excised, especially the magical, poetic section just before the end. For me it is the most moving section of the Symphony and I feel sorry that he removed it in 1936.
[asin]B00005B54X[/asin]
Ah yes, I was reading about this. It always shocks and intrigues me when I read of how a composers revise their works with such cuts.. Would be very interested to hear this!

Am currently listening to the 3rd symphony and it's just coming to a close. Absolutely gorgeous piece, constant beauty running throughout. A true work of nature and peace. Love the sense of impressionism, and what stunning harmony this involves. Absolutely love this piece and am very excited to listen to it again.  0:)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Mirror Image

Quote from: madaboutmahler on January 04, 2014, 08:43:52 AM

Am currently listening to the 3rd symphony and it's just coming to a close. Absolutely gorgeous piece, constant beauty running throughout. A true work of nature and peace. Love the sense of impressionism, and what stunning harmony this involves. Absolutely love this piece and am very excited to listen to it again.  0:)

I couldn't agree more, Daniel. Of course, I've heard this symphony times than I can count. It's certainly one of RVW's masterworks. The last movement is especially moving with the wordless soprano floating ethereally on top of that gorgeous musical canvas.

calyptorhynchus

Re the two versions of the London Symphomy, I found when I first heard the original version that both versions work equally well. This is one of those rare cases of a composer revising and neither improving nor making worse; I think it simply depends whether you want to hear a 40 minute symphony or a 50 minute one. The longer version doesn't drag and has some beautiful extra episodes, but the shorter version still works and isn't ruined by missing these episodes.
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

Karl Henning

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on January 04, 2014, 11:56:05 PM
Re the two versions of the London Symphomy, I found when I first heard the original version that both versions work equally well. This is one of those rare cases of a composer revising and neither improving nor making worse; I think it simply depends whether you want to hear a 40 minute symphony or a 50 minute one. The longer version doesn't drag and has some beautiful extra episodes, but the shorter version still works and isn't ruined by missing these episodes.

+1
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

madaboutmahler

My first listen to the 4th is just coming to an end.. Wow, what a contrast to the first three. Absolutely incredible piece, so full of aggressive energy. The ending of the first movement seemed to be the only peaceful moment in the work, and even then it's fighting against anguish... The destructive motif that runs through the work is absolutely demonstrative until that final devastating thud in the finale. An extremely thrilling, powerful and moving piece. Feeling pretty much in awe at the moment at such a masterpiece..
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Brahmsian

Quote from: madaboutmahler on January 05, 2014, 06:20:22 AM
My first listen to the 4th is just coming to an end.. Wow, what a contrast to the first three. Absolutely incredible piece, so full of aggressive energy. The ending of the first movement seemed to be the only peaceful moment in the work, and even then it's fighting against anguish... The destructive motif that runs through the work is absolutely demonstrative until that final devastating thud in the finale. An extremely thrilling, powerful and moving piece. Feeling pretty much in awe at the moment at such a masterpiece..

It is quite a fierce, aggresive symphony Daniel.  I agree!  Quite a contrast to the first 3.  :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: madaboutmahler on January 05, 2014, 06:20:22 AM

Yes, Daniel. The 4th is a masterpiece IMHO. You should hear Bernstein conduct this symphony. Truly an explosive performance. 8)

vandermolen

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on January 04, 2014, 11:56:05 PM

I very much agree with this balanced assessment.  Having said that the only section of the 1913 version which I always miss when I listen to the 1936 version is the magical episode just before the Epilogue. As Michael Kennedy said, it's removal brings in the Epilogue rather too quickly. In that sense I am delighted to have the Cincinnati version under Eugene Goossens which is based on a 1920 set of parts, which retained two crucial episodes which were later ( mistakenly in my view ) jettisoned.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 05, 2014, 06:48:11 AM
Yes, Daniel. The 4th is a masterpiece IMHO. You should hear Bernstein conduct this symphony. Truly an explosive performance. 8)

Oh yes and also the version by Paavo Berglund which was the No. 1 choice for BBC Record Review's 'Building a Library' it is coupled with his equally fine recording of Symphony No. 6 and Alexander Gibson's underrated recording of Symphony No. 5.
[asin]B0018OAP2U[/asin]

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on January 05, 2014, 11:59:06 AM
Oh yes and also the version by Paavo Berglund which was the No. 1 choice for BBC Record Review's 'Building a Library' it is coupled with his equally fine recording of Symphony No. 6 and Alexander Gibson's underrated recording of Symphony No. 5.

A damn fine performance as well no doubt. I need to revisit this one actually and Berglund's 6th while I'm at it. Thanks for the reminder, Jeffrey. 8)

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 05, 2014, 12:00:17 PM
A damn fine performance as well no doubt. I need to revisit this one actually and Berglund's 6th while I'm at it. Thanks for the reminder, Jeffrey. 8)

My pleasure John! I have now posted a waspy image of the CD (a great CD, I think) above.