Vaughan Williams's Veranda

Started by karlhenning, April 12, 2007, 06:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: Roasted Swan on July 17, 2019, 08:18:52 AM
Not a chance its the original version - that was released one-time only by the RVW estate to make the Hickox recording.  I would be surprised if internationally any version except the "standard" revision was played - in part because of availability of the orchestral parts.......

I'm not familiar with the various versions of the piece. Which is the one most commonly played?
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Biffo

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on July 17, 2019, 08:25:13 AM
I'm not familiar with the various versions of the piece. Which is the one most commonly played?

The revised score of 1933 (published 1936) is most commonly played, and until fairly  recently, the only version played. RVW considered further revision in 1951 but decided the work was 'beyond mending'

The original 1913-14 version was recorded by Richard Hickox in 2007, more recently the 1920 version was recorded by Martyn Brabbins.

vandermolen

Quote from: Biffo on July 17, 2019, 08:38:29 AM
The revised score of 1933 (published 1936) is most commonly played, and until fairly  recently, the only version played. RVW considered further revision in 1951 but decided the work was 'beyond mending'

The original 1913-14 version was recorded by Richard Hickox in 2007, more recently the 1920 version was recorded by Martyn Brabbins.
I like the Brabbins releases more than those of Manze and Elder (although Elder's A Pastoral Symphony is excellent). I hope that the 1920 version gets performed in Chicago. I don't listen to the 1936 version anymore as my enjoyment is undermined by the missing section in the Epilogue.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on July 17, 2019, 06:34:01 AM
I've got this concert coming up on Saturday:

Grant Park Orchestra
Martyn Brabbins, conductor
Stephen Hough, pianist
MacMillan: Stomp
Beethoven: Piano Concerto No. 3
Vaughan Williams: Symphony No. 2 "A London Symphony"

Well the performance of this turned out great, and it's a good thing I went Saturday instead of Friday. This review details the problems of the Friday performance, which were thankfully absent when I was there:

https://chicagoclassicalreview.com/2019/07/brabbins-grant-park-orchestra-master-heat-humidity-and-helicopters-with-rewarding-program/

The orchestra played superbly throughout. If they were a regular orchestra instead of a summer one playing outside, I think they'd be recognized as one of the major American orchestras. I think they really nailed the piece, with some great ensemble as well as solo work.

And Hough was terrific in the Beethoven, too.

I've now heard 4 of the 9 VW symphonies live. I think that's pretty good for this side of the ocean.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

vandermolen

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on July 21, 2019, 01:52:10 PM
Well the performance of this turned out great, and it's a good thing I went Saturday instead of Friday. This review details the problems of the Friday performance, which were thankfully absent when I was there:

https://chicagoclassicalreview.com/2019/07/brabbins-grant-park-orchestra-master-heat-humidity-and-helicopters-with-rewarding-program/

The orchestra played superbly throughout. If they were a regular orchestra instead of a summer one playing outside, I think they'd be recognized as one of the major American orchestras. I think they really nailed the piece, with some great ensemble as well as solo work.

I've now heard 4 of the 9 VW symphonies live. I think that's pretty good for this side of the ocean.
Interesting review. Thanks for posting it.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Karl Henning

Nice!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Christo

So far, I scored 5, here in the Netherlands (Nos. 2, 3, 4, 5 and 7) but only the Fourth and Antartica by professional orchestras.  ::)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

vandermolen

I think I've heard them all live  0:)
But that is hardly surprising living in the UK and being brought up in London in walking distance from the Albert Hall. In particular I was fortunate to hear Boult conduct several of them live. I suspect that I've only heard A Sea Symphony and Sinfonia Antartica live once. Possibly No.8 as well - on VW's 100th birthday (12/10/1972) at RFH London (Boult). I was also at the first performance of the 1913 version of A Lonon Symphony since. c.1920.

kyjo

Excellent! It's always great to hear about a VW symphony being played by an American orchestra. I still have yet to see one live...
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Oates

Quote from: kyjo on July 22, 2019, 09:03:14 PM
Excellent! It's always great to hear about a VW symphony being played by an American orchestra. I still have yet to see one live...

It's actually great to hear a VW symphony by a British orchestra as well - a fact that seems to have evaded the programmers of the BBC Proms this year...

vandermolen

Last year's Proms performance of 'A London Symphony' (Manze, 1936 version) features as part of the cover CD for the September issue of BBC Music Magazine together with Elgar's Cello Concerto.

Here's a rather interesting short article I came across online on Vaughan Williams's Symphony No.6:
http://www.classical-music.com/article/guide-vaughan-williamss-symphony-no-6

vers la flamme

I just listened to Ralph Vaughan Williams' 3rd, Pastoral symphony, not for the first time, but like never before it struck me as so awe-inspiringly beautiful, such a heart breaking testament to peace, the likes of which has probably not been achieved before or since in any music. Particularly the fourth movement, which completely blew me away. I did not expect that I'd be in such a receptive space for this music, so it kind of caught me off guard. Anyway, well worth a listen. This was the great André Previn/London Symphony recording. I have a hard time believing that this performance could be topped.

I think this great work has something in common with Ravel's Le Tombeau de Couperin. Of course, both composers were veterans of the Great War, and these pieces are somewhat reflections of their experiences.

Anyway, the Pastoral is the only RVW symphony that I've heard. If I like this one, which others might I appreciate? I'm listening now to the Sea Symphony, which is quite good, I think, but not quite hitting me in the same way.

vandermolen

Quote from: vers la flamme on August 18, 2019, 03:26:16 PM
I just listened to Ralph Vaughan Williams' 3rd, Pastoral symphony, not for the first time, but like never before it struck me as so awe-inspiringly beautiful, such a heart breaking testament to peace, the likes of which has probably not been achieved before or since in any music. Particularly the fourth movement, which completely blew me away. I did not expect that I'd be in such a receptive space for this music, so it kind of caught me off guard. Anyway, well worth a listen. This was the great André Previn/London Symphony recording. I have a hard time believing that this performance could be topped.

I think this great work has something in common with Ravel's Le Tombeau de Couperin. Of course, both composers were veterans of the Great War, and these pieces are somewhat reflections of their experiences.

Anyway, the Pastoral is the only RVW symphony that I've heard. If I like this one, which others might I appreciate? I'm listening now to the Sea Symphony, which is quite good, I think, but not quite hitting me in the same way.
I think that Previn LSO version is the greatest recording of the work. I suspect that Symphony No.5 might appeal to you as well and you can't go wrong with Previn's LSO recording.

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: vandermolen on August 18, 2019, 03:33:27 PM
I think that Previn LSO version is the greatest recording of the work. I suspect that Symphony No.5 might appeal to you as well and you can't go wrong with Previn's LSO recording.

Yes! It's quite likely the best recording of the 5th. I love it.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on August 18, 2019, 06:55:26 PM
Yes! It's quite likely the best recording of the 5th. I love it.

Another vote for No.5 and Previn.  I think the Pastoral is one of RVW's true masterpieces.  Alongside it the Mass in G minor is similarly contemplative and of course the rapture of the Tallis Fantasia is without equal.

Christo

Also good to know that of the 33 recordings of No. 5 that I could find, three are by Previn, who came back to it in 1988 and 1995. I made a comparison of the timings of the four movements:

Previn / LSO 1971               12.53            05.17            12.19            11.18
Previn / RPO 1988               12.30            05.14            12.57            09.55
Previn / SO Curtis 1995       12.43            05.24            12.08            10.21
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Christo on August 18, 2019, 11:13:28 PM
Also good to know that of the 33 recordings of No. 5 that I could find, three are by Previn, who came back to it in 1988 and 1995. I made a comparison of the timings of the four movements:

Previn / LSO 1971               12.53            05.17            12.19            11.18
Previn / RPO 1988               12.30            05.14            12.57            09.55
Previn / SO Curtis 1995       12.43            05.24            12.08            10.21

I don't know the last of those 3 - I do know the other two.  The RPO version is good.... and can be picked up as a twofer with Previn's No.2 remake very cheaply.... but I'd go for the earlier LSO version every time.  Previn really "got" RVW and of course back in the 70's RCA were using Decca engineers/equipment for their UK recordings and it was at the Kingsway Hall (I'm pretty sure it was there!) so the whole package of performance and technical presentation is top drawer.

I reckon that Previn's laconic humour - honed on Hollywood soundstages - chimed perfectly with British musicians so apart from any musical insights and brilliance he might have undoubtedly brought he was liked as a person and for UK orchestras that goes a long way.....

vers la flamme

Seems like he was almost an honorary Englishman, or at least that's how it comes across in this music!

Listening to the 4th symphony now from the same CD. The opening always catches me off guard. Definitely a very different kind of work, but I like it. I am thinking about going for the complete set by Previn with the LSO, as it can be had very cheaply on RCA. I'll check out his 5th symphony and see what I think.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: vers la flamme on August 19, 2019, 02:36:40 AM
Seems like he was almost an honorary Englishman, or at least that's how it comes across in this music!

Listening to the 4th symphony now from the same CD. The opening always catches me off guard. Definitely a very different kind of work, but I like it. I am thinking about going for the complete set by Previn with the LSO, as it can be had very cheaply on RCA. I'll check out his 5th symphony and see what I think.

you won't go wrong with that set at whatever price.  The expressive range/changes across the 9 symphonies is very marked but I have to say I think they are all rather wonderful ... I hope you enjoy them too

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on August 19, 2019, 02:55:19 AM
you won't go wrong with that set at whatever price.  The expressive range/changes across the 9 symphonies is very marked but I have to say I think they are all rather wonderful ... I hope you enjoy them too
+1
There, you see, we are agreeing again!
:)