Vaughan Williams's Veranda

Started by karlhenning, April 12, 2007, 06:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Biffo on June 27, 2020, 12:04:05 AM
I received my copy yesterday but haven't had a chance to listen to it yet. I am encouraged by your review. As it is a live performance I am hoping the Finale will be audible, as it is in Barbirolli's Bavarian recording.
I really look forward to your opinion. The Epilogue is very quiet at the start, as in Boult's Decca recording, although it seemed to get louder as it progresses - but maybe that was in my imagination.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

calyptorhynchus

I don't know why I didn't do this ages ago, as I am both a VW fan and an Aristophanes fan, but I recently borrowed the Mark Elder complete Wasps recording.
What a hoot, the modern English version that is performed on these disks is pretty good shortened version of the original (unless the Cambridge Greek performance was also shortened there must have been a lot more speech to music than in this performance).
What struck me most was the quality of the music (I'm surprised VW took so much effort over a production that probably only had a few performances, he would've been paid much for it if he was paid anything for it).
The music we're familiar with from the Overture shows itself to be absolutely breathtakingly plastic and able to be turned to every conceivable mood and purpose in the Chorus's numbers.
You would be right in thinking that the music doesn't have much to do with Greece, but VW does capture one nuance of the original extremely well in his use of the music, that big march, which shows that although Aristophanes views the chorus of old soldiers who served as jurors in show trials put on by the populist leader Cleon, as political pawns, he is still very concerned about the welfare of those soldiers, and respects how they have created the Athens that he knew, whilst at the same time being betrayed by those populist leaders. I found this very entertaining and moving production.
Onwards to Sir John in Love, which I haven't listen to for ages!
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

vandermolen

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on July 18, 2020, 08:36:32 PM
I don't know why I didn't do this ages ago, as I am both a VW fan and an Aristophanes fan, but I recently borrowed the Mark Elder complete Wasps recording.
What a hoot, the modern English version that is performed on these disks is pretty good shortened version of the original (unless the Cambridge Greek performance was also shortened there must have been a lot more speech to music than in this performance).
What struck me most was the quality of the music (I'm surprised VW took so much effort over a production that probably only had a few performances, he would've been paid much for it if he was paid anything for it).
The music we're familiar with from the Overture shows itself to be absolutely breathtakingly plastic and able to be turned to every conceivable mood and purpose in the Chorus's numbers.
You would be right in thinking that the music doesn't have much to do with Greece, but VW does capture one nuance of the original extremely well in his use of the music, that big march, which shows that although Aristophanes views the chorus of old soldiers who served as jurors in show trials put on by the populist leader Cleon, as political pawns, he is still very concerned about the welfare of those soldiers, and respects how they have created the Athens that he knew, whilst at the same time being betrayed by those populist leaders. I found this very entertaining and moving production.
Onwards to Sir John in Love, which I haven't listen to for ages!
Very interesting indeed. I've always been rather put off The Wasps by the Overture, which is one of my least favourite works by VW, although I seem to have hundreds of recording of it coupled with works that I prefer. I do, however, recall an interesting LP where the Suite, rather than just the Overture, was coupled with the Double Piano Concerto on LP. I shall look out for the Elder CD. However 'Sir John in Love' might be going too far for me!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

calyptorhynchus

Just rereading the booklet to Sir John in Love now. I'm reminded by it that VW wrote SJiL, Riders to the Sea and the Poisoned Kiss all within a few years of each other! What a (prolific) genius.
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

vandermolen

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on July 19, 2020, 12:37:30 AM
Just rereading the booklet to Sir John in Love now. I'm reminded by it that VW wrote SJiL, Riders to the Sea and the Poisoned Kiss all within a few years of each other! What a (prolific) genius.
Riders to the Sea is one of the few operas that I enjoy and I was fortunate enough to see a semi-staged performance of it in London a few years ago. I find it to be a moving and memorable work.

relm1

Quote from: vandermolen on July 19, 2020, 12:45:08 AM
Riders to the Sea is one of the few operas that I enjoy and I was fortunate enough to see a semi-staged performance of it in London a few years ago. I find it to be a moving and memorable work.

I love it too.  A very desolate piece which reeks of isolation.  Also a nice companion to Flos Campi which I think was also my CD.  What do you think of Pilgrims Progress?

vandermolen

Quote from: relm1 on July 19, 2020, 05:05:03 AM
I love it too.  A very desolate piece which reeks of isolation.  Also a nice companion to Flos Campi which I think was also my CD.  What do you think of Pilgrims Progress?
Possibly VW's greatest work. Seeing it on stage was an incredible experience.

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on July 18, 2020, 11:00:41 PM
Very interesting indeed. I've always been rather put off The Wasps by the Overture, which is one of my least favourite works by VW, although I seem to have hundreds of recording of it coupled with works that I prefer. I do, however, recall an interesting LP where the Suite, rather than just the Overture, was coupled with the Double Piano Concerto on LP. I shall look out for the Elder CD. However 'Sir John in Love' might be going too far for me!

I have that LP Jeffrey, Sir Adrian with LPO. I have no idea where "Aristophanic" Suite comes from. You mention the coupling, a good friend talks of the PC in glowing terms, especially the Romanza. I have not seen RVW as a concerto composer but giving the PC a go. It does complicate matters slightly that there is a version for one and two pianos.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on July 20, 2020, 08:37:02 AM
I have that LP Jeffrey, Sir Adrian with LPO. I have no idea where "Aristophanic" Suite comes from. You mention the coupling, a good friend talks of the PC in glowing terms, especially the Romanza. I have not seen RVW as a concerto composer but giving the PC a go. It does complicate matters slightly that there is a version for one and two pianos.
Here's the LP Lol. I really like the two piano version, especially in this recording:

Although I bought the Boult EMI LP boxed set when I was still at school it didn't include the Piano Concerto so I took the lower one out of the record library. I much prefer the coupling and that great cover image:

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on July 20, 2020, 09:08:58 AM
Here's the LP Lol. I really like the two piano version, especially in this recording:

Although I bought the Boult EMI LP boxed set when I was still at school it didn't include the Piano Concerto so I took the lower one out of the record library. I much prefer the coupling and that great cover image:

Again you are hitting my wallet, Jeffrey! Inexplicably I have the Boult 8th on Decca (stereo) but not the later EMI, not sure how I have missed that. I have three recordings of the PC, two on LP and one CD. I have listened to the Piers Lane/Handley CD a couple of times and feel something is missing (possibly recording), in fact preferring the Delius PC. I did not think the other coupling of Finzi's Eclogue is particularly inspired either. I plan to give Howard Shelly a spin this evening.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on July 21, 2020, 07:33:07 AM
Again you are hitting my wallet, Jeffrey! Inexplicably I have the Boult 8th on Decca (stereo) but not the later EMI, not sure how I have missed that. I have three recordings of the PC, two on LP and one CD. I have listened to the Piers Lane/Handley CD a couple of times and feel something is missing (possibly recording), in fact preferring the Delius PC. I did not think the other coupling of Finzi's Eclogue is particularly inspired either. I plan to give Howard Shelly a spin this evening.
Will be curious as to how you like the Lyrita one Irons.  I have it, but it's on CD.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on July 21, 2020, 07:33:07 AM
I have the Foulds on CD and LP. The LP of the Dynamic Triptych is the one that I played to my wife when we were going out and that she was singularly unimpressed with (a sign of things to come  ::)) commenting, sarcastically, 'Well, it certainly is very dynamic!' The Boult Decca version of Symphony No.8 was the only one recorded in stereo (No.9 wasn't recorded by Decca) - the last in the series of symphonies 1-8.

vers la flamme

I've been listening to the RVW Piano Concerto lately; it's awesome. One of my favorites of his. Reminds me a bit of Ravel's two concertos for piano. I have the Lane/Handley/Liverpool recording. I suspect it may not be the best choice out there, but it's perfectly fine I think. I just don't like the couplings as much (Delius and Finzi).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vers la flamme on July 21, 2020, 02:43:43 PM
I've been listening to the RVW Piano Concerto lately; it's awesome. One of my favorites of his. Reminds me a bit of Ravel's two concertos for piano. I have the Lane/Handley/Liverpool recording. I suspect it may not be the best choice out there, but it's perfectly fine I think. I just don't like the couplings as much (Delius and Finzi).

I prefer the version for two pianos, which, if you haven't heard it, you should definitely check it out. The Boult recording with Vronsky and Babin is my favorite performance of the work. There was another very fine performance on Virgin classics with Menuhin and Markham/Broadway. You can't go wrong with either of these performances. I liked the version for one piano, but once I heard the one for two pianos, I never really had any desire of going back.

vers la flamme

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 21, 2020, 02:52:03 PM
I prefer the version for two pianos, which, if you haven't heard it, you should definitely check it out. The Boult recording with Vronsky and Babin is my favorite performance of the work. There was another very fine performance on Virgin classics with Menuhin and Markham/Broadway. You can't go wrong with either of these performances. I liked the version for one piano, but once I heard the one for two pianos, I never really had any desire of going back.

Coupled with Job, another work I've been meaning to pick up. Nice. I will have to check that recording out.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vers la flamme on July 21, 2020, 03:01:26 PM
Coupled with Job, another work I've been meaning to pick up. Nice. I will have to check that recording out.

Score! Will be interested to know what you think of Job and the Concerto for Two Pianos.

vandermolen

Quote from: vers la flamme on July 21, 2020, 03:01:26 PM
Totally agree with John/MI on this one. The Boult/Vronsky/Babin version of the Concerto for Two Pianos is the one to have in my opinion. Also the CD with the PC coupled with Boult's final recording of 'Job' means, IMO, that you get the best recordings of both works. Boult recorded the work ('Job') four times as it is dedicated to him plus there is a live recording from the VW Centenary Concert in 1972, attended by my 17 year old self. I agree that the PC is one of VW's finest work and incredibly underrated. I like the version of the Piano Concerto on Naxos as well.
I discovered the PC originally from this great LP:

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 21, 2020, 09:40:53 AM
Will be curious as to how you like the Lyrita one Irons.  I have it, but it's on CD.

PD

More by accident then design I have carried out a mini-survey of the piano(s) concerto. Goes without saying my views are purely subjective and not commenting on the musical merits or otherwise of each performance. I was not engaged with the Piers Lane as much as I should be and think this may be down to the recording which is slightly opaque. "Job" from the same source is outstanding in this regard - you never can tell. With Handley again, but this time Howard Shelley as soloist, the Lyrita recording is dynamic which gives the performance more edge, this concerto is inherently dynamic and requires a recording to match. I am struck by the influence of Ravel in the slow movement played by Shelley. I agree with vers la Flamme with regard to the Cadenza in the finale which is a highlight of this concerto.
Moving over to two pianos I was immediately struck how right this version. I usually hold first is best, but not in this case. Why this should be so I have no idea but Boult, Joseph Cooper and others who advised RVW certainty imparted good advice recognising the effect of two pianos in this work. A quite rare event in musical history doubling up in this way and fascinating how it came about.   

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on July 23, 2020, 03:55:19 AM
More by accident then design I have carried out a mini-survey of the piano(s) concerto. Goes without saying my views are purely subjective and not commenting on the musical merits or otherwise of each performance. I was not engaged with the Piers Lane as much as I should be and think this may be down to the recording which is slightly opaque. "Job" from the same source is outstanding in this regard - you never can tell. With Handley again, but this time Howard Shelley as soloist, the Lyrita recording is dynamic which gives the performance more edge, this concerto is inherently dynamic and requires a recording to match. I am struck by the influence of Ravel in the slow movement played by Shelley. I agree with vers la Flamme with regard to the Cadenza in the finale which is a highlight of this concerto.
Moving over to two pianos I was immediately struck how right this version. I usually hold first is best, but not in this case. Why this should be so I have no idea but Boult, Joseph Cooper and others who advised RVW certainty imparted good advice recognising the effect of two pianos in this work. A quite rare event in musical history doubling up in this way and fascinating how it came about.
Thank you for your thoughts Irons!  :)  I'll try and find a copy of the two-pianos version.

Best,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 23, 2020, 04:55:25 AM
Thank you for your thoughts Irons!  :)  I'll try and find a copy of the two-pianos version.

Best,

PD

I've done some high-level international research on your behalf PD (by checking the Amazon.com site  ;D) and can confirm that you can pick up a second-hand copy of the Vronsky/Babin/Boult performance of the Concerto for Two Pianos for under $6.00. Furthermore it's coupled with one of the greatest performances of 'Job' (LSO with the dedicatee, Boult). Why does Amazon.com just have a 'Music' section while Amazon UK has both a 'CD' and 'Classical Music' option?
https://www.amazon.com/Job-Concerto-Two-Pianos-Orchestra/dp/B00002DDY9/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Vaughan+Williams+concerto+for+two+pianos&qid=1595510103&s=music&sr=1-1