Author Topic: Vaughan Williams's Veranda  (Read 661739 times)

Offline Pohjolas Daughter

• Veteran member
Re: Vaughan Williams's Veranda
« Reply #4620 on: July 23, 2020, 10:36:44 AM »
Thank you Jeffrey.  That was awfully sweet of you to do so!   :)

Best wishes,

PD

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Claude Debussy (1862 - 1918)
  • Currently Listening to:
    ...Brume au-dessus de l'eau...
« Reply #4621 on: July 23, 2020, 11:10:50 AM »
I've done some high-level international research on your behalf PD (by checking the Amazon.com site  ;D) and can confirm that you can pick up a second-hand copy of the Vronsky/Babin/Boult performance of the Concerto for Two Pianos for under $6.00. Furthermore it's coupled with one of the greatest performances of 'Job' (LSO with the dedicatee, Boult). Why does Amazon.com just have a 'Music' section while Amazon UK has both a 'CD' and 'Classical Music' option?
https://www.amazon.com/Job-Concerto-Two-Pianos-Orchestra/dp/B00002DDY9/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Vaughan+Williams+concerto+for+two+pianos&qid=1595510103&s=music&sr=1-1

Amazon US’s site is atrocious and, furthermore, so it their listings for CDs and LPs. Like, for example, you have multiple listings for the same recording or when you go to one of their listings the reviews for the item are for the wrong recording. ::) Then there are all the dead links or wrong links. It’s one colossal mess. How I’ve been able to navigate their site since 1998 is beyond me.
“Works of art create rules; rules do not create works of art.” - Claude Debussy

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #4622 on: July 23, 2020, 10:32:16 PM »
Thank you Jeffrey.  That was awfully sweet of you to do so!   :)

Best wishes,

PD
Not at all PD! It was my pleasure  :)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #4623 on: July 29, 2020, 08:21:50 PM »
Here's a review of the newly released CD of Barbirolli conducting Symphony No.6 at Barbirolli's 70th birthday concert. I agree with the review and especially the comparison with Barbirolli's Orfeo recording of the same work with the Bavarian RSO. I too prefer the Hallé version overall but the slower pace of the Bavarian orchestra in the finale/epilogue works better. My overall favourite version is Boult with the LPO on Decca and in comparison with that the Hallé version sounds rushed. David Hurwitz likes the Abravanel/Utah recording on Vanguard and I totally agree with him that it's a great disc.

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2020/Jul/Barbirolli_70th_SJB1098.htm
[/img]

Here is Mr Hurwitz's interesting video in praise of Maurice Abravanel. His discussion of the VW disc is about half way through:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fTTWHBcWn2E
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 08:36:28 PM by vandermolen »
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #4624 on: July 31, 2020, 04:13:56 AM »
From WAYLTN thread.
Vaughan Williams: Violin Sonata
Good to have another recording of one of my very favourite chamber works and not just by Vaughan Williams.
However, I have to say that I'm slightly disappointed by the performance which felt rushed and unreflective at the start and then too slow. Maybe I have been spoilt by my familiarity (since LP days - it may have been the first chamber music that I ever bought) of the unmatched IMO performance by the Music Group of London. I may warm to this recording on further plays (it only arrived today) and others may enjoy it more:
Edit: listening to it on my better sound system I realise that the violin is very spotlighted and the piano quite recessed and the recording doesn't have much depth to it. Others may well respond differently so don't be put off.

EDIT: Full marks, however, for the beautifully played and movingly intimate version of 'The Lark Ascending' for Violin and Piano - the highlight of the disc for me.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 05:35:05 AM by vandermolen »

Offline Roasted Swan

« Reply #4625 on: July 31, 2020, 07:07:44 AM »
From WAYLTN thread.
Good to have another recording of one of my very favourite chamber works and not just by Vaughan Williams.
However, I have to say that I'm slightly disappointed by the performance which felt rushed and unreflective at the start and then too slow. Maybe I have been spoilt by my familiarity (since LP days - it may have been the first chamber music that I ever bought) of the unmatched IMO performance by the Music Group of London. I may warm to this recording on further plays (it only arrived today) and others may enjoy it more:
Edit: listening to it on my better sound system I realise that the violin is very spotlighted and the piano quite recessed and the recording doesn't have much depth to it. Others may well respond differently so don't be put off.

EDIT: Full marks, however, for the beautifully played and movingly intimate version of 'The Lark Ascending' for Violin and Piano - the highlight of the disc for me.

Have you heard Lydia Mordkovitch's collection of VW's piano & violin music?  Quite an impressive performance and interesting to have one's pre-conceptions challenged.  It includes the Sonata and 'Lark', but also the 6 Studies, a transcription of the Greensleeves Fantasia and the quite rare "2 Pieces" (Romance & Pastorale) But I like you, have trouble forgetting Hugh Bean!

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #4626 on: July 31, 2020, 07:18:53 AM »
Have you heard Lydia Mordkovitch's collection of VW's piano & violin music?  Quite an impressive performance and interesting to have one's pre-conceptions challenged.  It includes the Sonata and 'Lark', but also the 6 Studies, a transcription of the Greensleeves Fantasia and the quite rare "2 Pieces" (Romance & Pastorale) But I like you, have trouble forgetting Hugh Bean!

It rings a bell but I certainly didn't buy it through Amazon. It looks like a fine CD and I think very highly of her playing. I did enjoy this CD which features the Violin Sonata:

• Veteran member
« Reply #4627 on: July 31, 2020, 07:52:57 AM »
From WAYLTN thread.

Interesting, I hadn't realized that there was a version of for violin and piano of the Lark.  Has it been recorded much?  I see that I do have the Hugh Bean version in my big EMI boxed VW set; however, for me growing up, it was the one with Iona Brown that I first listened to and loved.  Will have to check out the HB recording.  Do you gents like the IB with Sir Neville Marriner and TAOSMITF?

PD

Offline Roasted Swan

« Reply #4628 on: July 31, 2020, 09:35:03 AM »
Interesting, I hadn't realized that there was a version of for violin and piano of the Lark.  Has it been recorded much?  I see that I do have the Hugh Bean version in my big EMI boxed VW set; however, for me growing up, it was the one with Iona Brown that I first listened to and loved.  Will have to check out the HB recording.  Do you gents like the IB with Sir Neville Marriner and TAOSMITF?

PD

Yes for sure Iona Brown's recording is excellent - I can picture the LP cover very clearly - I think it was the first version I bought as an ARGO record (great recordings all).   The Hugh Bean came originally as the coupling of Boult's Symphony No.6 - but I'd bought the Previn set so didn't encounter the Bean until it appeared on a different compilation.  For me he just shades Brown.....

• Veteran member
« Reply #4629 on: July 31, 2020, 09:52:10 AM »
Yes for sure Iona Brown's recording is excellent - I can picture the LP cover very clearly - I think it was the first version I bought as an ARGO record (great recordings all).   The Hugh Bean came originally as the coupling of Boult's Symphony No.6 - but I'd bought the Previn set so didn't encounter the Bean until it appeared on a different compilation.  For me he just shades Brown.....

Nice to hear your background and thoughts on it RS.

I'd LOVE to get ahold of a nice LP copy of the Argo.   :)

PD

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #4630 on: July 31, 2020, 10:46:30 AM »

PD

Now that I've worked out what 'IB' and 'TAOSMITF' mean (I thought the latter had a connection with Taoist philosophy  8)) I can answer your question. That was never my favourite recording of TLA ( :P) I preferred the one with Hugh Bean and Boult conducting. The Violin and Piano version of TLA have been recorded before but the new version is both beautifully played and recorded.

• Veteran member
« Reply #4631 on: July 31, 2020, 11:28:06 AM »
Now that I've worked out what 'IB' and 'TAOSMITF' mean (I thought the latter had a connection with Taoist philosophy  8)) I can answer your question. That was never my favourite recording of TLA ( :P) I preferred the one with Hugh Bean and Boult conducting. The Violin and Piano version of TLA have been recorded before but the new version is both beautifully played and recorded.
heeheeheeheee [I think that you can figure out what that means Jeffrey?  :)  :-*].  I think that I'll leave the HB/B/symphony's name? LSO or??? for Sunday afternoon to listen to.  And, in the meantime, I'll see whether or not I can find on YT an upload of the version for v&p.   ;D

Best wishes,

PD

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #4632 on: July 31, 2020, 11:39:27 AM »
heeheeheeheee [I think that you can figure out what that means Jeffrey?  :)  :-*].  I think that I'll leave the HB/B/symphony's name? LSO or??? for Sunday afternoon to listen to.  And, in the meantime, I'll see whether or not I can find on YT an upload of the version for v&p.   ;D

Best wishes,

PD

Here's a V and P only version (as originally conceived) of TLA PD:
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=lark+ascending+violin+and+piano&&view=detail&mid=89EB07C8561489AB16AE89EB07C8561489AB16AE&&FORM=VRDGAR&ru=%2Fvideos%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dlark%2Bascending%2Bviolin%2Band%2Bpiano%26FORM%3DHDRSC4
Good to see Emma Peel in the front row.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 11:43:07 AM by vandermolen »

• Veteran member
« Reply #4633 on: July 31, 2020, 11:42:32 AM »
TY, J!   ;)

PD

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #4634 on: July 31, 2020, 11:43:38 AM »