The Music Room > Composer Discussion

Vaughan Williams's Veranda

<< < (1048/1053) > >>

k a rl h e nn i ng:

--- Quote from: vandermolen on October 30, 2021, 01:56:13 PM ---'Dark Pastoral' was put together from the surviving sketches for a projected cello concerto:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5tquD727ik

--- End quote ---

As anticipated, a beauty!

Elgarian Redux:

Well, it's been a while. But a few days ago I stumbled across a CD I haven't played for ages, and popped VW's Phantasy Quintet into the player. When I got to the slow movement, and that exquisite tune, my eyes filled with tears and I just heartached my way through to the end. Since then I've played it every day.

For some unaccountable reason I had forgotten completely about this piece, even though I have a vague memory of having discussed it here years ago. It's not that I don't listen to VW: I do. I listened to most of the symphonies recently, and the Wasps, and stuff like that. But not this. How on earth did I ever forget about this?

Anyway, be that all as it may. My reason for resurrecting myself and troubling my old chums at GMG with this news is that maybe you can explain to me why this piece is (relatively) little known, and rarely commented on? Is it musically simplistic in some way that makes it of less interest to people who really understand music? (You'll realise that I don't number myself among them.) What does Karl think, for instance? Am I on my own in finding it utterly adorable? Are there any Old Softies out there like me who reach for the Kleenex when they hear it?

I've just been scouring the web for alternative recordings of it, and have found a few and ordered them (Nash, English String Quartet, and Medici), so my New Year will be flooded with Phantasy Quintetness. That seems like something to perk up 2022.

Merry Christmas to all. I hope you're all OK in these troubled times.

Symphonic Addict:

--- Quote from: Elgarian Redux on December 22, 2021, 12:39:01 PM ---

Well, it's been a while. But a few days ago I stumbled across a CD I haven't played for ages, and popped VW's Phantasy Quintet into the player. When I got to the slow movement, and that exquisite tune, my eyes filled with tears and I just heartached my way through to the end. Since then I've played it every day.

For some unaccountable reason I had forgotten completely about this piece, even though I have a vague memory of having discussed it here years ago. It's not that I don't listen to VW: I do. I listened to most of the symphonies recently, and the Wasps, and stuff like that. But not this. How on earth did I ever forget about this?

Anyway, be that all as it may. My reason for resurrecting myself and troubling my old chums at GMG with this news is that maybe you can explain to me why this piece is (relatively) little known, and rarely commented on? Is it musically simplistic in some way that makes it of less interest to people who really understand music? (You'll realise that I don't number myself among them.) What does Karl think, for instance? Am I on my own in finding it utterly adorable? Are there any Old Softies out there like me who reach for the Kleenex when they hear it?

I've just been scouring the web for alternative recordings of it, and have found a few and ordered them (Nash, English String Quartet, and Medici), so my New Year will be flooded with Phantasy Quintetness. That seems like something to perk up 2022.

--- End quote ---

One of the best Naxos releases regarding Vaughan Williams IMO. Absolutely great music, and that Phantasy Quintet is a delight indeed!

Merry Christmas to you too!

Elgarian Redux:

--- Quote from: Symphonic Addict on December 22, 2021, 12:50:00 PM ---One of the best Naxos releases regarding Vaughan Williams IMO. Absolutely great music, and that Phantasy Quintet is a delight indeed!

Merry Christmas to you too!

--- End quote ---

Oh bless you. There are Two of Us, then!!

You realise of course that I'm not in any sense ignoring the two quartets. They are scrumptious in a truly VW-ish way. But they don't make me burst into tears. That's the thing.

k a rl h e nn i ng:

--- Quote from: Elgarian Redux on December 22, 2021, 12:39:01 PM ---

--- End quote ---

It is just possible that I've neglected the Phantasy Quintet thus far. Clearly this must be remedied!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version