Vaughan Williams's Veranda

Started by karlhenning, April 12, 2007, 06:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elgarian Redux

Quote from: Spotted Horses on December 26, 2021, 11:16:46 PM
The swan theme, inexorably unfolding, suggests unyielding fate to me, while the counter melody suggests a poignant, vulnerable response. My brother described it as "like a memory of childhood" and I think that captures it.

I can empathise with all of this, especially the 'memory of childhood' part, though I wonder if it's a feeling for what childhood could have been, rather than what it actually was. At any rate, always there's a sense of something supremely desirable, yet just beyond grasp - so as you say there's the suggestion of vulnerability in the face of fate. How the trigger for this gets into the music in the first place, though, is quite beyond me.

vandermolen

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on December 22, 2021, 12:10:45 PM
It is just possible that I've neglected the Phantasy Quintet thus far. Clearly this must be remedied!
+1 Am playing it now - a fine work.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

I've just pre-ordered this book (which comes out in June 2022 in UK - great cover photo)). It's in the 'Master Musicians' Series and presumably replaces the (very fine) biography written by the late James Day:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Just received this very nice looking publication (100 pages, including many illustrations), commemorating the 150th Anniversary of the composer's birth in 1872:

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on January 25, 2022, 03:53:55 AM
Just received this very nice looking publication (100 pages, including many illustrations), commemorating the 150th Anniversary of the composer's birth in 1872:

Neat!  Who put it out and what is the CD of?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

relm1

Oh I want this!  A favorite composer of mine.  How to get this?

Irons

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Time to spill the beans Jeffrey!  :D

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Just seen the requests. It's published by 'Choir & Organ'.
Here's the website:

http://www.rhinegold.co.uk/rhinegold-publishing/magazines/choir-organ/

The VW 150th anniversary publication comes up on the front page.

Obviously I'm ordering from the UK but I'm sure that it's possible to get it sent overseas.

The CD freebie consists of extracts from Albion Music CD releases. It has some nice works like the piano piece 'The Lake in the Mountains' included.

It's a one-off publication so you don't need a subscription to order it.

PS
This link seems to take you directly to the order page:

https://www.magsubscriptions.com/vaughan-williams?utm_source=CHO&utm_medium=newsstory&utm_campaign=RVW150

Hope that helps  :)

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 26, 2022, 04:42:27 AM
Thanks! :)

PD

My pleasure PD. I just added another link to my message above.  :)

vandermolen

I've been listening to the accompanying CD tonight with much pleasure.

Karl Henning

Very nice, in a parallel universe I am ordering this 8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vandermolen

vandermolen

Just wanted to say how much I have been enjoying this new release - a piano duet version of the 1920 edition of A London Symphony. I'm really glad that it features the 1920 version, which retains the intensely poetic final sections which the composer later (and mistakenly IMO) excised. Also the piano and organ version of Finzi's beautiful 'Eclogue' is well worth hearing. I've played this CD several times already:

Roasted Swan

Quote from: vandermolen on February 05, 2022, 11:49:37 PM
Just wanted to say how much I have been enjoying this new release - a piano duet version of the 1920 edition of A London Symphony. I'm really glad that it features the 1920 version, which retains the intensely poetic final sections which the composer later (and mistakenly IMO) excised. Also the piano and organ version of Finzi's beautiful 'Eclogue' is well worth hearing. I've played this CD several times already:

I have this CD but have not yet heard it.  I find it interesting that the 1920 version of the symphony was used to produce both the 2 piano and solo piano versions of the work.  As far as I know there isn't a piano reduction of the 1934 final revision.  Whether this was just down to the publishers maximising revenue streams when the work was relatively new I don't know.  Vally Lasker was responsible for the solo piano version - she also did the solo piano version of Job

Here's a nice photo - Vally Lasker is standing behind and between RVW and Holst.....

VW's first wife Adeline is to the left looking at VW, then its Nora Day who taught at St. Pauls and played the 2 piano version of various scores with Lasker and finally Dorothy Longman - one of VW's oldest friends having been a neighbour at Leith Hill Place

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on February 06, 2022, 02:25:09 AM
I have this CD but have not yet heard it.  I find it interesting that the 1920 version of the symphony was used to produce both the 2 piano and solo piano versions of the work.  As far as I know there isn't a piano reduction of the 1934 final revision.  Whether this was just down to the publishers maximising revenue streams when the work was relatively new I don't know.  Vally Lasker was responsible for the solo piano version - she also did the solo piano version of Job

Here's a nice photo - Vally Lasker is standing behind and between RVW and Holst.....

VW's first wife Adeline is to the left looking at VW, then its Nora Day who taught at St. Pauls and played the 2 piano version of various scores with Lasker and finally Dorothy Longman - one of VW's oldest friends having been a neighbour at Leith Hill Place
Interesting photo and thank you for identifying everyone. Adeline looks slightly less stony-faced than usual.

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on February 06, 2022, 04:30:26 AM
Interesting photo and thank you for identifying everyone. Adeline looks slightly less stony-faced than usual.

Obviously the photographer didn't say cheese.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Spotted Horses

Quote from: vandermolen on February 05, 2022, 11:49:37 PM

You're reminding me I have the Hyperion recording of the 1920 version. I decided to prepare for it by listening to the familiar version so I would notice the differences.  I chose the the Barbirolli recording. After listening to the Barbirolli recording, there didn't seem to be a reason to ever listen to another recording of the piece. :)

There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington