The Music Room > Composer Discussion

Vaughan Williams's Veranda

<< < (1111/1171) > >>

Mirror Image:

--- Quote from: vandermolen on May 20, 2022, 09:30:41 PM ---Had to look up 'YMMV'   8)

What do you think of Bryden Thomson's recording of the 5th Symphony John? I consider it to be one of the best.

--- End quote ---

Oh, it's fantastic, Jeffrey, but I love the entire Thomson cycle. It's in my "Top 3" of RVW cycles along with Previn and Boult II.

vandermolen:

--- Quote from: Mirror Image on May 21, 2022, 05:33:40 AM ---Oh, it's fantastic, Jeffrey, but I love the entire Thomson cycle. It's in my "Top 3" of RVW cycles along with Previn and Boult II.

--- End quote ---
Great to know John!  :)

Biffo:
As it seemed to be the current hot topic I listened to Thomson's recording of Symphony No 5. It is a fine performance but the acoustic occasionally seems rather reverberant.

I accumulated the Thomson cycle in piecemeal fashion over a few months and have never listened to it as a cycle. As I recall there are no weak links and some of the performances are excellent. No 4 may be my favourite of the Thomson cycle and my favourite recording of that work though Previn is imprinted on my brain after over 50 years of hearing it.

vandermolen:

--- Quote from: Biffo on May 22, 2022, 12:54:14 AM ---As it seemed to be the current hot topic I listened to Thomson's recording of Symphony No 5. It is a fine performance but the acoustic occasionally seems rather reverberant.

I accumulated the Thomson cycle in piecemeal fashion over a few months and have never listened to it as a cycle. As I recall there are no weak links and some of the performances are excellent. No 4 may be my favourite of the Thomson cycle and my favourite recording of that work though Previn is imprinted on my brain after over 50 years of hearing it.

--- End quote ---
Yes, it was recorded in a church. I rather like the reverberant acoustic which adds atmosphere IMO. Actually I heard Symphony No.5 in a church locally a few weeks ago. The BBC Music Magazine's old 'Top 1000 CDs' featured Thomson's No.6 as their top choice. Tonight I watched a most interesting TV programme about the friendship between Holst and Vaughan Williams (BBC 4 I think). I much preferred it to the rather overblown documentaries on Vaughan Williams and Holst broadcast some years ago ('The Passions of Vaughan Williams' etc). By focusing just on the years before Holst's premature death I think that this programme achieved more and I found it rather moving - a case of 'less is more' I think.

Irons:

--- Quote from: vandermolen on May 22, 2022, 12:26:17 PM ---Yes, it was recorded in a church. I rather like the reverberant acoustic which adds atmosphere IMO. Actually I heard Symphony No.5 in a church locally a few weeks ago. The BBC Music Magazine's old 'Top 1000 CDs' featured Thomson's No.6 as their top choice. Tonight I watched a most interesting TV programme about the friendship between Holst and Vaughan Williams (BBC 4 I think). I much preferred it to the rather overblown documentaries on Vaughan Williams and Holst broadcast some years ago ('The Passions of Vaughan Williams' etc). By focusing just on the years before Holst's premature death I think that this programme achieved more and I found it rather moving - a case of 'less is more' I think.

--- End quote ---

I watched that too. I think I was meant to as flicking through the channels avoiding "Country File" I came across completely by accident. I didn't realise the friendship between Holst and RVW was so deep and strong. Complete opposites in both stature and temperament perhaps music itself was the force that bound them together.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version