Vaughan Williams's Veranda

Started by karlhenning, April 12, 2007, 06:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on August 13, 2022, 01:28:26 PM
Thank you! I haven't listened to enough Vaughan Williams' chamber music to say the String Quartet No.2 is his greatest chamber work, but it is absolutely a marvelous, captivating work and maybe the one I enjoyed more so far. It also sounds more original than the String Quartet No.1 (however composed about 34 years earlier), which instead seems to be very influenced by Ravel's harmonic textures and colour, especially in the first movement, where the similarities with the String Quartet in F major are certainly evident.
I agree. The SQ No.2 has more in common with the 6th Symphony I think.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

JBS

Just popping in here to say I think the performance of Serenade to Music found in the July 2022 BBC Music Magazine CD is among the best I've heard.
It's the original version for 16 soloists.  It was recorded in concert at the 2010 Proms with Donald Runnicles conducting the BBC Symphony Orchestra.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Karl Henning

Quote from: JBS on August 13, 2022, 06:11:28 PM
Just popping in here to say I think the performance of Serenade to Music found in the July 2022 BBC Music Magazine CD is among the best I've heard.
It's the original version for 16 soloists.  It was recorded in concert at the 2010 Proms with Donald Runnicles conducting the BBC Symphony Orchestra.

Nice!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vandermolen

Quote from: JBS on August 13, 2022, 06:11:28 PM
If you look at the letters page you'll find a letter from me which refers to the Serenade to Music (not is a positive way I'm afraid) and a response from the Editor.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

JBS

Quote from: vandermolen on August 14, 2022, 12:48:53 AM
If you look at the letters page you'll find a letter from me which refers to the Serenade to Music (not is a positive way I'm afraid) and a response from the Editor.

[If you hadn't mentioned it, I'd never notice it--I get it primarily for the CD and sometimes never read the magazine itself.]

Well, I think StM is one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever written...but you are right in saying they could have picked something not as famous. They did apparently limit themselves to stuff played in concert at the Proms, which probably limits the possibilities.
But at least they didn't pick The Lark Ascending or something else on that level of popularity.

Karl Henning

Quote from: JBS on August 14, 2022, 05:22:16 PM
[If you hadn't mentioned it, I'd never notice it--I get it primarily for the CD and sometimes never read the magazine itself.]

Well, I think StM is one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever written...

I'm a fan, too.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vandermolen

Quote from: JBS on August 14, 2022, 05:22:16 PM

Well, I think StM is one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever written...but you are right in saying they could have picked something not as famous. They did apparently limit themselves to stuff played in concert at the Proms, which probably limits the possibilities.
But at least they didn't pick The Lark Ascending or something else on that level of popularity.
I like the new BBC MM CD cover disc with Sibelius's 'Tapiola', Bax's 'November Woods' (the latter is clearly influenced by the former and it's interesting to have them together on one CD). Also, 'Bolero' and a work by Dobrinka Tabakova and Anders Hillborg which I look forward to hearing.

JBS

Quote from: vandermolen on August 14, 2022, 10:14:02 PM
I like the new BBC MM CD cover disc with Sibelius's 'Tapiola', Bax's 'November Woods' (the latter is clearly influenced by the former and it's interesting to have them together on one CD). Also, 'Bolero' and a work by Dobrinka Tabakova and Anders Hillborg which I look forward to hearing.

That gets to the USA a month or so after you get. The Proms issue for July is what's on the newstand now in mid-August.

calyptorhynchus

Quote from: vandermolen on August 14, 2022, 10:14:02 PM
Surely November Woods was written before Tapiola was.
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

vandermolen

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on August 15, 2022, 01:23:36 PM
Surely November Woods was written before Tapiola was.
Yes, you are quite right!
Another display of my loud-mouthed ignorance  ::)
Maybe Tapiola was influenced by November Woods  ;D

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on August 15, 2022, 10:26:24 PM

I don't think the last sentence of your post is beyond the realms of possibility, Jeffrey. The two pieces have the same feel about them. When Sibelius accepted to be the first President of the Arnold Bax Society he wrote "I have a great admiration for the music of the English maestro".
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Biffo

Quote from: vandermolen on August 15, 2022, 10:26:24 PM

Perhaps it was something in the air. Compare (and contrast, as exam questions used to say) November Woods (1917) with Delius North Country Sketches (1913-14). Delius isn't quite as stormy but every bit as autumnal.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on August 16, 2022, 03:31:02 AM
I don't think the last sentence of your post is beyond the realms of possibility, Jeffrey. The two pieces have the same feel about them. When Sibelius accepted to be the first President of the Arnold Bax Society he wrote "I have a great admiration for the music of the English maestro".
That's interesting.  I didn't know that he was involved with that society before now.  When was he involved with it?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on August 16, 2022, 03:31:02 AM
Most interesting Lol. I didn't know that. I wonder how 'The Tale the Pine Trees Knew' etc went down in downtown Helsinki!

vandermolen

Quote from: Biffo on August 16, 2022, 05:21:16 AM
Perhaps it was something in the air. Compare (and contrast, as exam questions used to say) November Woods (1917) with Delius North Country Sketches (1913-14). Delius isn't quite as stormy but every bit as autumnal.
Interesting - I like the 'North Country Sketches'.

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 16, 2022, 08:46:56 AM
That's interesting.  I didn't know that he was involved with that society before now.  When was he involved with it?

PD

Digging around for a connection between Sibelius and Bax, as there is I feel a similarity between Tapiola and November Woods, it came up. Oddly Sibelius although obviously an admirer of Bax dedicated a symphony not to him but Bantock. Sibelius was the first President of the Arnold Bax Society, which to be fair is purely a honorary appointment. Letter of acceptance from Sibelius below.   
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on August 17, 2022, 02:44:07 AM
Digging around for a connection between Sibelius and Bax, as there is I feel a similarity between Tapiola and November Woods, it came up. Oddly Sibelius although obviously an admirer of Bax dedicated a symphony not to him but Bantock. Sibelius was the first President of the Arnold Bax Society, which to be fair is purely a honorary appointment. Letter of acceptance from Sibelius below.   
Thanks for the info and the photo!  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on August 17, 2022, 02:44:07 AM
Great stuff!

vandermolen

Four forthcoming releases as we come up to the 150th Anniversary of VW's birth on 12th October 2022: