Vaughan Williams's Veranda

Started by karlhenning, April 12, 2007, 06:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irons

Quote from: Papy Oli on January 12, 2023, 01:19:45 AMHi Lol,

Getty sells that picture and names that middle man as Professor Wordsworth?

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/dr-ralph-vaughan-williams-britains-leading-composer-with-news-photo/2630730

Some nice Boult pictures on that site to boot!

I think it may be G. Wallace Woodworth a Professor of music at Harvard University.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Albion

Quote from: Irons on January 12, 2023, 06:09:26 AMI think it may be G. Wallace Woodworth a Professor of music at Harvard University.

Looks like a good photo-fit, although he DOES have a bit of the William Alwyn profile. Bloody Nora, a blackboard with staves!!!  ;D
A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it. (SG, 1922)

Pohjolas Daughter

Ah, I think you're right about the professor.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 12, 2023, 06:57:15 AMAh, I think you're right about the professor.

PD

Think I am PD. A choral music connection between "Woody" Woodworth and RVW.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Here's a clip I found online of Boult conducting VW's 8th Symphony at the Festival Hall, London on 12th October 1972 (the composer's 100th birthday). My 17 year-old self was at the concert - a great nostalgia trip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRXkISjm97U
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on January 13, 2023, 08:36:05 AMHere's a clip I found online of Boult conducting VW's 8th Symphony at the Festival Hall, London on 12th October 1972 (the composer's 100th birthday). My 17 year-old self was at the concert - a great nostalgia trip:

How fit the 83 year old Sir Adrian appears!

Albion

Quote from: Irons on January 14, 2023, 12:47:57 AMHow fit the 83 year old Sir Adrian appears!

He was just as fit when he conducted that great Parry disc (Symphony No.5, Symphonic Variations and Elegy for Brahms) for EMI in 1979...

:o  8)
A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it. (SG, 1922)

vandermolen

Quote from: Albion on January 14, 2023, 01:09:00 AMHe was just as fit when he conducted that great Parry disc (Symphony No.5, Symphonic Variations and Elegy for Brahms) for EMI in 1979...

:o  8)
Yes, that was Boult's final recording I think - a marvellous disc.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

relm1

Quote from: vandermolen on January 13, 2023, 08:36:05 AMHere's a clip I found online of Boult conducting VW's 8th Symphony at the Festival Hall, London on 12th October 1972 (the composer's 100th birthday). My 17 year-old self was at the concert - a great nostalgia trip:

I have a vintage baton just like that!  It was given to me by a student of Boults!  I wonder if it was once Boult's baton.  :)

relm1

Quote from: Irons on January 14, 2023, 12:47:57 AMHow fit the 83 year old Sir Adrian appears!

I was thinking...wow, he always looked like that.  Even in his 40's.  Maybe in his 20's too.

Irons

Quote from: relm1 on January 14, 2023, 06:00:37 AMI was thinking...wow, he always looked like that.  Even in his 40's.  Maybe in his 20's too.

Forcibly retired by the BBC in 1950! Age discrimination madness. 

Pohjolas Daughter

Thanks for that clip!  I enjoyed watching it.

Quote from: Irons on January 15, 2023, 12:23:49 AMForcibly retired by the BBC in 1950! Age discrimination madness. 
At 61 they made him retire?!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 15, 2023, 09:28:25 AMThanks for that clip!  I enjoyed watching it.

PD

The BBC used to have a compulsory retirement age for ALL personnel at 60

calyptorhynchus

Quote from: Roasted Swan on January 15, 2023, 10:46:19 AMThe BBC used to have a compulsory retirement age for ALL personnel at 60

Very good idea, but only if they only compulsorily retire the incompetent and mediocre. The Boults of the world should be allowed serve until they drop.
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 15, 2023, 09:28:25 AMThanks for that clip!  I enjoyed watching it.

PD
Glad you enjoyed it PD.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Roasted Swan on January 15, 2023, 10:46:19 AMThe BBC used to have a compulsory retirement age for ALL personnel at 60
I suspected as much...thanks for the info though.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

SurprisedByBeauty

Hello, my fellow fellows on the Veranda!

I have updated my Vaughan William Symphony Cycle Survey and wanted to share the joyous news!

Cheerio,

Jens

A Survey of Vaughan Williams Symphony Cycles

Roasted Swan

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on January 20, 2023, 08:03:45 AMHello, my fellow fellows on the Veranda!

I have updated my Vaughan William Symphony Cycle Survey and wanted to share the joyous news!

Cheerio,

Jens

A Survey of Vaughan Williams Symphony Cycles

Always pleased to see RVW get attention but in this "update" you don't mention the new Pristine remastering of Boult I, the completion of Elder/Halle or Brabbins/BBC SO at all....!  Which rather gives the lie to your opening copmment that this survey covers every available set......

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Roasted Swan on January 20, 2023, 08:09:50 AMAlways pleased to see RVW get attention but in this "update" you don't mention the new Pristine remastering of Boult I, the completion of Elder/Halle or Brabbins/BBC SO at all....!  Which rather gives the lie to your opening comment that this survey covers every available set......

I actively ignore Pristine. I think it's a BS label that makes old recordings sound terrible and they influence shill reviewers to do their bidding.

Elder & Brabbins had been mentioned but I've now edited it to point out that Elder HAS finished his cycle. (Still not out as a set, though.) And as far as Brabbins is concerned, is a disc of "7 & 9" still missing? Seems that way.

Thanks, certainly, for keeping the heat on me. I rely on such help to keep the motivation to really be thorough in my updates.

P.S. Ah, I see: Release Date: 3rd Mar 2023 Soon!!!

Roasted Swan

QuoteI actively ignore Pristine. I think it's a BS label that makes old recordings sound terrible and they influence shill reviewers to do their bidding.

Elder & Brabbins had been mentioned but I've now edited it to point out that Elder HAS finished his cycle. (Still not out as a set, though.) And as far as Brabbins is concerned, is a disc of "7 & 9" still missing? Seems that way.

Thanks, certainly, for keeping the heat on me. I rely on such help to keep the motivation to really be thorough in my updates.

P.S. Ah, I see: Release Date: 3rd Mar 2023 Soon!!!

The Elder COMPLETE SET has had multiple reviews!  Surely the Pristine set should be acknowledged if your post claims to survey all iterations of complete cycles.  Even if only to balance the praise it has received elsewhere with your opinion.  To be honest I'm not keen at all on their approach either but it has certainly gnerated some very positive responses