Vaughan Williams's Veranda

Started by karlhenning, April 12, 2007, 06:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roasted Swan

QuoteI actively ignore Pristine. I think it's a BS label that makes old recordings sound terrible and they influence shill reviewers to do their bidding.

Elder & Brabbins had been mentioned but I've now edited it to point out that Elder HAS finished his cycle. (Still not out as a set, though.) And as far as Brabbins is concerned, is a disc of "7 & 9" still missing? Seems that way.

Thanks, certainly, for keeping the heat on me. I rely on such help to keep the motivation to really be thorough in my updates.

P.S. Ah, I see: Release Date: 3rd Mar 2023 Soon!!!

The Elder COMPLETE SET has had multiple reviews!  Surely the Pristine set should be acknowledged if your post claims to survey all iterations of complete cycles.  Even if only to balance the praise it has received elsewhere with your opinion.  To be honest I'm not keen at all on their approach either but it has certainly gnerated some very positive responses

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: ultralinear on January 20, 2023, 09:45:16 AMPresto are listing this box of Elder's VW symphonies as available now:

Bingbingbing. Jackpot! Thanks much.  ;D

Oh, just found one of the Elder-reviews; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrrABqNJBYE :-)

JBS

You don't need Pristine because you've got Decca Eloquence's Boult Legacy set!
ASIN is B0BCX3R1R7

Which includes Job, Old King Cole, etc, as well as Arnold, Holst, etc.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: JBS on January 20, 2023, 01:02:42 PMYou don't need Pristine because you've got Decca Eloquence's Boult Legacy set!
ASIN is B0BCX3R1R7

Which includes Job, Old King Cole, etc, as well as Arnold, Holst, etc.

Bit of a mix, but good to know. Will include that option in the survey.

Are they remastered, though? I can't find any info on that. (Not until now, anyway.)

JBS

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on January 20, 2023, 01:07:50 PMBit of a mix, but good to know. Will include that option in the survey.

Are they remastered, though? I can't find any info on that. (Not until now, anyway.)

Apparently not, except for four tracks of Holst that were never released until they were included in this set. The track listings, copyright dates, recording data, and brochure credits refer only to the original LPs. But the sound is fairly good, so I'm surprised it's not a remastering.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: JBS on January 20, 2023, 01:47:49 PMApparently not, except for four tracks of Holst that were never released until they were included in this set. The track listings, copyright dates, recording data, and brochure credits refer only to the original LPs. But the sound is fairly good, so I'm surprised it's not a remastering.

That's what I figured, after reading the Eloquence website's info. But it's good just to have it readily available again... although the old Decca set, which also includes the Everest 9th, is still readily enough available.

vandermolen

I like the sound quality of the VW works that I have sampled (symphs 2,3,5, Job, Old King Cole) in the new Eloquence box. I bought the CDs of symphonies 6/9 and A Sea Symphony on Pristine but I found the sound rather shrill. I prefer that of the Eloquence set.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Brian

I think sometimes Eloquence remasters things without advertising it. I have seen the booklets credit "remaster engineers" without specifying which discs or tracks were included in the work.