Vaughan Williams's Veranda

Started by karlhenning, April 12, 2007, 06:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on May 04, 2023, 11:16:25 PMAt work but I'll try to listen later.
That concert was on Vaughan Williams's 105th birthday.
Boult's objective approach really suits Sinfonia Antartica - his Decca recording with VW in attendance is possibly my favourite version. The later (EMI) recording is very strong although it doesn't have quite the same urgency.

I wonder what other people's favourite recording of Sinfonia Antartica is.

I run a mile from spoken introductions which sadly rules out very good and likely best recordings of Sinfonia Antartica. I agree the Boult EMI is good (how can it not be). The one recording, although mono, that hits the spot which I actually felt shivers listening, no exaggeration, is Barbirolli.

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

aukhawk

I'm lucky in that the spoken bits don't bother me at all - although some of the more pompous deliveries can be a bit farcical I agree.  I'm much more fussy when it comes to the organ contribution and specifically the way it is balanced against the orchestra.  Thus I would really like to put Bryden Thomson at the top of my list but unfortunately he is ruled out because of some unfortunate choices made around the organ.  (It is small-scale and distant, like some unattainable mirage in the snowscape.)  My favourite is Andrew Manze, a good modern recording and ideal organ contribution.

That live Boult recording (I'm playing it as I type this) sounds pretty good - on my laptop, I must tranfer a copy to my main rig.  It's unusual of course to hear the organ (presumably) live, not dubbed as in almost all non-live recordings.  The balance sounds better than Haitink's live recording in the same venue, where the same  organ sounds monstrous.

Ah - great wind machine work at the end, finally sinking down to leave the choir diminuendo to finish us off.  Nicely done.

Blimey - according to the back-anno they went on to perform the Sea Symphony after the interval!  What a marathon. (Different conductor though.)

relm1

Quote from: aukhawk on May 06, 2023, 01:00:20 AMI'm lucky in that the spoken bits don't bother me at all - although some of the more pompous deliveries can be a bit farcical I agree.  I'm much more fussy when it comes to the organ contribution and specifically the way it is balanced against the orchestra.  Thus I would really like to put Bryden Thomson at the top of my list but unfortunately he is ruled out because of some unfortunate choices made around the organ.  (It is small-scale and distant, like some unattainable mirage in the snowscape.)  My favourite is Andrew Manze, a good modern recording and ideal organ contribution.

That live Boult recording (I'm playing it as I type this) sounds pretty good - on my laptop, I must tranfer a copy to my main rig.  It's unusual of course to hear the organ (presumably) live, not dubbed as in almost all non-live recordings.  The balance sounds better than Haitink's live recording in the same venue, where the same  organ sounds monstrous.

Ah - great wind machine work at the end, finally sinking down to leave the choir diminuendo to finish us off.  Nicely done.

Blimey - according to the back-anno they went on to perform the Sea Symphony after the interval!  What a marathon. (Different conductor though.)

Wow, that's crazy stamina considering this was Boult's last concert!  I guess one of the advantages he had of always looking the same age is he never aged.

Abdel Ove Allhan

Quote from: relm1 on May 04, 2023, 04:47:48 PMI really liked this.  Moody and atmospheric.  What do others think? 

I was there. Me and 2 mates were tramping through the British Isles and while in London we attended this performance. I had no Idea it was his last. As I recall it was a very warm day and RVW's chilly landscape was a delicious if ominous respite. Thank you for posting a slice of my youth.
Music is the most essential yet practically useless endeavor in the entirety of human existence.Yet without music our existence would be comparable to the world of insects."The man that hath no music in himself Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils, Let no such man be trusted."W. Shakespeare

Mountain Goat

Quote from: aukhawk on May 06, 2023, 01:00:20 AMBlimey - according to the back-anno they went on to perform the Sea Symphony after the interval!  What a marathon.

Wow! That must have been quite a night. One of the most memorable concerts I ever attended was Andrew Manze and the BBC Scottish SO in symphonies 4, 5 & 6 at the 2012 Proms.

relm1

Quote from: Abdel Ove Allhan on May 09, 2023, 08:38:24 AMI was there. Me and 2 mates were tramping through the British Isles and while in London we attended this performance. I had no Idea it was his last. As I recall it was a very warm day and RVW's chilly landscape was a delicious if ominous respite. Thank you for posting a slice of my youth.

That's amazing!  By the way, where in CA are you?  PM me if too personal.  I'm CA too.

foxandpeng

Quote from: Mountain Goat on May 09, 2023, 02:29:15 PMWow! That must have been quite a night. One of the most memorable concerts I ever attended was Andrew Manze and the BBC Scottish SO in symphonies 4, 5 & 6 at the 2012 Proms.

Here we are again :). I am a fan of Manze in RVW, but am a bit of a lone wolf in that regard, I think...
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Roasted Swan

Quote from: foxandpeng on May 10, 2023, 08:02:50 AMHere we are again :). I am a fan of Manze in RVW, but am a bit of a lone wolf in that regard, I think...

I saw Manze do No.9 at the RFH last Autumn.  Very good indeed - concert included a DREADFUL "Lark" but that was down to the soloist not Manze!

vandermolen

Quote from: foxandpeng on May 10, 2023, 08:02:50 AMHere we are again :). I am a fan of Manze in RVW, but am a bit of a lone wolf in that regard, I think...
Have just pre-ordered Job and Old King Cole. I liked 7 and 9 but not the others.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Luke

Quote from: Roasted Swan on May 10, 2023, 10:00:44 AMI saw Manze do No.9 at the RFH last Autumn.  Very good indeed - concert included a DREADFUL "Lark" but that was down to the soloist not Manze!

Avian flu?

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Luke on May 10, 2023, 10:45:37 AMAvian flu?

mannered and interventionist.  The "don't look at me I'm shy" school of violin playing.  Just awful......

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Roasted Swan

Should "The Lark Ascending" be used as the theme song for the Clay Pigeon Shooting Association......???

Abdel Ove Allhan

Quote from: relm1 on May 09, 2023, 04:39:46 PMThat's amazing!  By the way, where in CA are you?  PM me if too personal.  I'm CA too.
I reside in the confines of Orange in the Old Town district.
Music is the most essential yet practically useless endeavor in the entirety of human existence.Yet without music our existence would be comparable to the world of insects."The man that hath no music in himself Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils, Let no such man be trusted."W. Shakespeare

LKB

Quote from: relm1 on May 09, 2023, 04:39:46 PMThat's amazing!  By the way, where in CA are you?  PM me if too personal.  I'm CA too.

As am l. I will be on vacation soon, and while l wasn't planning on traveling I'm happy to do so for some quality discussions of RVW, if anyone is interested.  ;)
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

calyptorhynchus

Memory from 35 years ago. In a record shop I saw a recording of the Tallis Fantasia (coupled with works by other composers) conducted by Herbert von Karajan!

Even at the time, when I knew little about music and conductors, I thought this was a bizarre recording. Does anyone remember this one? Was it any good? Did Karajan record any other VW?
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on June 17, 2023, 11:28:53 PMMemory from 35 years ago. In a record shop I saw a recording of the Tallis Fantasia (coupled with works by other composers) conducted by Herbert von Karajan!

Even at the time, when I knew little about music and conductors, I thought this was a bizarre recording. Does anyone remember this one? Was it any good? Did Karajan record any other VW?
I have a recording of Vaughan Williams' Tallis Fantasia by Karajan/Philharmonia, it is matched with Britten's Variations on a Theme of Frank Bridge; I was quite surprised when I discovered Karajan had conducted those composers, since he rarely ventured into English music; as a matter of fact, I don't think he recorded any other RVW, but it would have been thrilling. Provably I would be the minority, but I've always found that a beautifully poetical recording, suggestive and lyrical.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on June 18, 2023, 02:12:03 AMI have a recording of Vaughan Williams' Tallis Fantasia by Karajan/Philharmonia, it is matched with Britten's Variations on a Theme of Frank Bridge; I was quite surprised when I discovered Karajan had conducted those composers, since he rarely ventured into English music; as a matter of fact, I don't think he recorded any other RVW, but it would have been thrilling. Provably I would be the minority, but I've always found that a beautifully poetical recording, suggestive and lyrical.
I see some mono pressings here:  https://www.discogs.com/master/999868-Benjamin-Britten-Vaughan-Williams-Herbert-von-Karajan-Philharmonia-Orchestra-Variations-On-A-Theme-O  Does one of them look familiar?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Lisztianwagner

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Irons

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on June 18, 2023, 02:12:03 AMI have a recording of Vaughan Williams' Tallis Fantasia by Karajan/Philharmonia, it is matched with Britten's Variations on a Theme of Frank Bridge; I was quite surprised when I discovered Karajan had conducted those composers, since he rarely ventured into English music; as a matter of fact, I don't think he recorded any other RVW, but it would have been thrilling. Provably I would be the minority, but I've always found that a beautifully poetical recording, suggestive and lyrical.

Karajan obviously liked to perform Fantasia.

http://www.karajan.co.uk/britishcomposers.html

I would love to hear his Walton 1st Symphony, all be it a radio recording.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.