Vaughan Williams's Veranda

Started by karlhenning, April 12, 2007, 06:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 26, 2017, 04:04:02 AM
Well, Willcocks was The Man (among numerous peers) in Anglican choral music, and that is exactly the milieu RVW was steeped in;  so those recordings are as idiomatic as idiomatic can be  8)

All the RVW in this box is conducted by Willcocks;  the audio quality is clear and fine (cathedral ambience, which is proper, not mic-in-larynx).  (And all the Holst & Finzi are also worthwhile.)

[asin]B004MSRDLU[/asin]
Karl is right - that is a wonderful boxed set, not just for the VW but as it includes the best version of 'Dies Natalis' (Finzi) sung by Wilfred Brown with the composer's son conducting - also the VW rarity 'An Oxford Elegy' which I really like.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on January 25, 2017, 09:54:07 PM
Handley only recorded a complete cycle with the RLPO John although there were earlier versions of symphonies 2 and 6 with the LPO. The earlier 2 is excellent but the recording and performance of 6 is not nearly as good as the RLPO version. All those Willcocks recordings are outstanding as is his wonderful performance of Howells's 'Hymnus Paradisi'.

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 26, 2017, 04:04:02 AM
Well, Willcocks was The Man (among numerous peers) in Anglican choral music, and that is exactly the milieu RVW was steeped in;  so those recordings are as idiomatic as idiomatic can be  8)

All the RVW in this box is conducted by Willcocks;  the audio quality is clear and fine (cathedral ambience, which is proper, not mic-in-larynx).  (And all the Holst & Finzi are also worthwhile.)

[asin]B004MSRDLU[/asin]

Quote from: vandermolen on January 26, 2017, 04:53:55 AM
Karl is right - that is a wonderful boxed set, not just for the VW but as it includes the best version of 'Dies Natalis' (Finzi) sung by Wilfred Brown with the composer's son conducting - also the VW rarity 'An Oxford Elegy' which I really like.

Thanks so much for your feedback guys. I just bought that box set and it was the last one that Amazon had. Apparently, it's close to becoming OOP?

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 26, 2017, 05:00:40 AM
Thanks so much for your feedback guys. I just bought that box set and it was the last one that Amazon had. Apparently, it's close to becoming OOP?
You wont regret it John - one of the best and most imaginative boxed sets of British music. Nice cover art too.
Dies Natalis, especially in this recording is magical - especially the last movement.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on January 26, 2017, 06:22:31 AM
You wont regret it John - one of the best and most imaginative boxed sets of British music. Nice cover art too.
Dies Natalis, especially in this recording is magical - especially the last movement.

Indeed. What's also nice about this set is I'll have another performance of 5 Mystical Songs, which I've really become quite enamored with recently. It doesn't hurt to have another Flos Campi either. ;)

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 26, 2017, 06:24:26 AM
Indeed. What's also nice about this set is I'll have another performance of 5 Mystical Songs, which I've really become quite enamored with recently. It doesn't hurt to have another Flos Campi either. ;)
Both wonderful works and in my opinion this box contains the greatest performances of both scores.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on January 26, 2017, 06:30:02 AM
Both wonderful works and in my opinion this box contains the greatest performances of both scores.

Wow, that's high praise indeed. Really looking forward to hearing them.

This brings me to a question I thought I'd ask: what are everyone's favorite performances of Flos Campi?

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 26, 2017, 06:50:46 AM
Wow, that's high praise indeed. Really looking forward to hearing them.

This brings me to a question I thought I'd ask: what are everyone's favorite performances of Flos Campi?

Willcocks, Cecil Aronowitz, Jacques Orchestra - same performance as the one in the EMI boxed set I think:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/CDs-Vinyl/Oxford-Elegy-Flos-Campi-Magnificat-Vaughan-Williams/B00008EU22/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1485454960&sr=1-2&keywords=flos+campi

vandermolen

Quote from: vandermolen on January 18, 2017, 09:58:20 AM
Extraordinary looking new release:
I'm always delighted and interested to hear Vaughan Williams's music performed by non-British orchestras.
[asin]B01MRZNUSN[/asin]
These are two of his greatest works I believe.
I had a great time listening to this CD tonight. The recording is the best I know with a spectacular organ entry and especially oily saxophones in the 'Job's Comforters' section of the ballet score. 'Job' gripped me from the start with a wonderfully reflective quality which reminded me of Boult's EMI recording. Boult was the dedicatee of Job and made three studio recordings. His performance of Job at the Royal Festival Hall in London on 12th October 1972 - the Centenary of Vaughan Williams's birth, was the first time I heard the work as my teenage self was in attendance at the concert (it was released on the Intaglio label). I think that this new Andrew Davis recording is the best recording and the performance was convincing throughout. I was slightly less convinced by Symphony 9. There is less of a sense of impending doom compared with the earlier Boult and Stokowski recordings and the opening of the last movement sounded a bit rushed. I would still argue that it is a fine, reflective performance of Vaughan Williams's great valedictory work and I will listen to it again. So, I would go for it if you're interested in these works. It certainly replaces Andrew Davis's identical coupling of these works (although played in reverse order) on the Teldec label. The Chandos CD is beautifully presented with a great photo of the elderly composer which I had never seen before.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on January 26, 2017, 09:24:56 AM
Willcocks, Cecil Aronowitz, Jacques Orchestra - same performance as the one in the EMI boxed set I think:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/CDs-Vinyl/Oxford-Elegy-Flos-Campi-Magnificat-Vaughan-Williams/B00008EU22/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1485454960&sr=1-2&keywords=flos+campi

Yep, that performance is in that set, which I can't wait to hear! :)

Quote from: vandermolen on January 26, 2017, 02:36:42 PM
I had a great time listening to this CD tonight. The recording is the best I know with a spectacular organ entry and especially oily saxophones in the 'Job's Comforters' section of the ballet score. 'Job' gripped me from the start with a wonderfully reflective quality which reminded me of Boult's EMI recording. Boult was the dedicatee of Job and made three studio recordings. His performance of Job at the Royal Festival Hall in London on 12th October 1972 - the Centenary of Vaughan Williams's birth, was the first time I heard the work as my teenage self was in attendance at the concert (it was released on the Intaglio label). I think that this new Andrew Davis recording is the best recording and the performance was convincing throughout. I was slightly less convinced by Symphony 9. There is less of a sense of impending doom compared with the earlier Boult and Stokowski recordings and the opening of the last movement sounded a bit rushed. I would still argue that it is a fine, reflective performance of Vaughan Williams's great valedictory work and I will listen to it again. So, I would go for it if you're interested in these works. It certainly replaces Andrew Davis's identical coupling of these works (although played in reverse order) on the Teldec label. The Chandos CD is beautifully presented with a great photo of the elderly composer which I had never seen before.

Great news, Jeffrey! I just received this CD in the mail today. Looking forward to digging into it. Probably over the weekend. Job is one of my favorite works...ever. Great to his Job impressed you. I knew the 9th was going to be a tougher sell considering how you, and another member whose name slips me at the moment, were talking about the shorter timing for the final movement. It's good to know that it wasn't a complete failure and that it warrants repeat listening. So a thumbs up all-around then. 8)

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 26, 2017, 06:13:43 PM
Yep, that performance is in that set, which I can't wait to hear! :)

Great news, Jeffrey! I just received this CD in the mail today. Looking forward to digging into it. Probably over the weekend. Job is one of my favorite works...ever. Great to his Job impressed you. I knew the 9th was going to be a tougher sell considering how you, and another member whose name slips me at the moment, were talking about the shorter timing for the final movement. It's good to know that it wasn't a complete failure and that it warrants repeat listening. So a thumbs up all-around then. 8)
I'll be looking forward to hearing your view of it John.

Mirror Image

Here's another question: aside from Hickox's outstanding recording of the original A London Symphony, what do you guys think of his other Chandos recordings of the symphonies? I own them all and haven't listened to them in years.

Mirror Image

Cross-posted from the 'Listening' thread:

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 27, 2017, 07:07:32 PM
I was going to wait until Sunday, but now playing:

I'm listening to Job only from this recording right now and it's finishing up. I'd say it's a good performance, but it doesn't displace Boult (EMI) or Hickox (EMI). This performance doesn't seem that special or it feels like there's something missing. One of my favorite moments in the whole ballet: Jobs' Dream - Dance of Plague, Pestilence, Famine, and Battle seems odd. This is where Hickox/Bournemouth is much more ravishing. Jeffrey was right about the powerful organ in Dance of Job's Comforters - Job's Curse - A Vision of Satan, but that's about all this performance has going for it. Everything sounds a bit ho-hum to me and not too involving --- I'd even say it sounds rather lifeless. I'm not sure if it's because I'm tired or what, but I keep asking myself where's the magic at in this performance? I just don't hear it. I wasn't impressed with Andrew Davis' Teldec cycle, I suppose I was being a bit too optimistic about this new recording from him.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 27, 2017, 07:08:26 PM
Cross-posted from the 'Listening' thread:
Thanks for the feedback John. I liked the opening of Job and the spectacular organ entry and maybe enjoyed it a bit more than you did but I largely agree with you. As in the Ninth Symphony there are sections which seem too fast - the lovely Altar Dance towards the end for example. Let us know what you think of Symphony 9.
As for the Hickox recordings - his No.6 was chosen as top choice by BBC Building a Library but I remember thinking that it was nothing special - I must listen to it again when I can hear it (my ears are currently blocked with wax from swimming but I'm having them syringed out on Monday - too much information I know  :o). His 1913 version of A London Symphony is one of my all time favourite CDs - wonderful in every respect and it was a privilege to attend the first performance of this version since, I guess, around 1936 in London. I even got to have a brief conversation with Richard Hickox when I asked him to sign the programme for me. I love the CD with Symphony 5, not just for the very good performance but for the fascinating fill-ups on the disc - 'The Pilgrim's Pavement' etc - a lovely disc in all respects. No.4 is very good too along with the Mass, although Berglund and Boult EMI remain my favourites here (your compatriots Bernstein and Mitropolous are terrific too). A Pastoral Symphony was also very good but ages since I listened to it - Previn remains my favourite by far. Nothing special about No.8 as far as I recall - again Previn's version is my favourite. For A Sea Symphony I prefer the Haitink which transformed my opinion of the work. Davis will presumably record Sinfonia Antartica to complete this Chandos cycle; however as a download I recall that they included Bryden Thomson's recordings of symphonies 9 and 7 as a complete cycle with the Hickox and I suspect that Bryden Thomson's performances might turn out to be better than Andrew Davis's - however, we will wait to see what he makes of Antartica and Andrew Davis recorded a very good version of Vaughan Williams's elusive Sixth Symphony on Teldec. I still enjoyed the new CD of 'Job' and Symphony 9 and have no regrets about getting it, especially for the excellent recording and the great photo of VW!. I will listen to it again next week.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on January 27, 2017, 11:58:43 PM
Thanks for the feedback John. I liked the opening of Job and the spectacular organ entry and maybe enjoyed it a bit more than you did but I largely agree with you. As in the Ninth Symphony there are sections which seem too fast - the lovely Altar Dance towards the end for example. Let us know what you think of Symphony 9.
As for the Hickox recordings - his No.6 was chosen as top choice by BBC Building a Library but I remember thinking that it was nothing special - I must listen to it again when I can hear it (my ears are currently blocked with wax from swimming but I'm having them syringed out on Monday - too much information I know  :o). His 1913 version of A London Symphony is one of my all time favourite CDs - wonderful in every respect and it was a privilege to attend the first performance of this version since, I guess, around 1936 in London. I even got to have a brief conversation with Richard Hickox when I asked him to sign the programme for me. I love the CD with Symphony 5, not just for the very good performance but for the fascinating fill-ups on the disc - 'The Pilgrim's Pavement' etc - a lovely disc in all respects. No.4 is very good too along with the Mass, although Berglund and Boult EMI remain my favourites here (your compatriots Bernstein and Mitropolous are terrific too). A Pastoral Symphony was also very good but ages since I listened to it - Previn remains my favourite by far. Nothing special about No.8 as far as I recall - again Previn's version is my favourite. For A Sea Symphony I prefer the Haitink which transformed my opinion of the work. Davis will presumably record Sinfonia Antartica to complete this Chandos cycle; however as a download I recall that they included Bryden Thomson's recordings of symphonies 9 and 7 as a complete cycle with the Hickox and I suspect that Bryden Thomson's performances might turn out to be better than Andrew Davis's - however, we will wait to see what he makes of Antartica and Andrew Davis recorded a very good version of Vaughan Williams's elusive Sixth Symphony on Teldec. I still enjoyed the new CD of 'Job' and Symphony 9 and have no regrets about getting it, especially for the excellent recording and the great photo of VW!. I will listen to it again next week.

I'll have to revisit Davis' Job again, but not for quite some time as my reaction was so lukewarm. I guess I'm rather biased when it comes to RVW. Many newer performances of his music just seem to lack that certain magic I'm used to hearing from the older performances and I suppose these particular older performances are stamped deep into my psyche at this point, but, as always, these things are so subjective from one person to another. I wish Thomson had recorded Job. :(

aukhawk

Quote from: vandermolen on January 24, 2017, 10:57:44 PM
... I never liked A Sea Symphony until I heard the Haitink which was a complete revelation to me. ...

Robert Spano / Atlanta SO for A Sea Symphony like you've never heard it before.  I have always liked this symphony (more than some people on this board it seems) and I don't mind what Spano does with it one bit.  Though I agree that Haitink is the obvious go-to for this music.  Spano's VW 5th is fairly awful, by the way.

vandermolen

Quote from: aukhawk on January 28, 2017, 09:38:57 AM
Robert Spano / Atlanta SO for A Sea Symphony like you've never heard it before.  I have always liked this symphony (more than some people on this board it seems) and I don't mind what Spano does with it one bit.  Though I agree that Haitink is the obvious go-to for this music.  Spano's VW 5th is fairly awful, by the way.
Ok thanks - will look out for the Spano performance.

Christo

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Several recommendations of the "craggy" Violin Sonata in the polling thread caused me to YouTube it. I like it, very intense piece. Any recommendations for a recording?

I see it on both EMI and Hyperion, both with nearly identical programs of chamber music. Anyone preferences for one or the other?
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

relm1

Quote from: aukhawk on January 28, 2017, 09:38:57 AM

I consider Haitink's No. 1 perfection with no further reason to look elsewhere.  Would Spano/ASO make me reconsider?

Mirror Image

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on January 28, 2017, 02:11:38 PM
Several recommendations of the "craggy" Violin Sonata in the polling thread caused me to YouTube it. I like it, very intense piece. Any recommendations for a recording?

I see it on both EMI and Hyperion, both with nearly identical programs of chamber music. Anyone preferences for one or the other?

I only own the Hyperion disc (w/ the Nash Ensemble), but it's excellent and I haven't really bothered to look for another performance.