Vaughan Williams's Veranda

Started by karlhenning, April 12, 2007, 06:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Quote from: cilgwyn on August 17, 2017, 08:20:07 AM
I seem to be turning into a big fan of the Fourth Symphony,of late! I love this combination. No's 3 and 4,on the same cd. Only a few months ago I would have wanted the Fourth on a separate cd. Probably coupled with the Ninth. Now,I'm exhilarated by the prospect of those grinding chords crashing in after No 3!

My work here is done . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vandermolen

Final release in Hickox/Davis cycle:
[asin]B07578TXZ3[/asin]
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Another great looking new release - especially as it is of the 1920 version and therefore includes the magical, poetic section just before the Epilogue which Vaughan Williams excised (mistakenly IMHO) in 1936.
http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Hyperion/CDA68190
Great cover art and interesting shorter works. Definitely on my Christmas list!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

relm1

So there are no more major works of RVW awaiting a recording, right?  We now have all there is?

Christo

Quote from: relm1 on September 12, 2017, 06:59:10 AMSo there are no more major works of RVW awaiting a recording, right?  We now have all there is?
Certainly not. There still is:
- incidental music for The Merry Wives of Windsor (1913), Richard II (1913), Henry IV (1913), Richard III (1913), Henry V (1913), The Devil's Disciple (1913);
- the orchestral version of On Christmas Night (1926) (it's on Youtube in a live performance by the Limburg SO and it's even better);
- The Abinger Pageant (1934, a cooperation with E.M. Forster) and the other pageant they cooperated on in the 1930s, cannot remember its name at the moment, but together they would make another great CD with a story worth telling;
- the Cello Concerto (1942-58, no doubt somebody is going to finish it  :D ).
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

relm1

Quote from: Christo on September 12, 2017, 12:55:50 PM
- incidental music for The Merry Wives of Windsor (1913), Richard II (1913), Henry IV (1913), Richard III (1913), Henry V (1913), The Devil's Disciple (1913);
- the orchestral version of On Christmas Night (1926) (it's on Youtube in a live performance by the Limburg SO and it's even better);
- The Abinger Pageant (1934, a cooperation with E.M. Forster) and the other pageant they cooperated on in the 1930s, cannot remember its name at the moment, but together they would make another great CD with a story worth telling;
- the Cello Concerto (1942-58, no doubt somebody is going to finish it  :D ).

I thought what we have of the Cello Concerto is David Matthews's dark pastoral and of your incidental music list, I have many of these on CD so I am confused by your list.

Christo

Quote from: relm1 on September 12, 2017, 04:17:24 PMI thought what we have of the Cello Concerto is David Matthews's dark pastoral and of your incidental music list, I have many of these on CD so I am confused by your list.
Dark Pastoral is what David Matthews could make of the slow movement, isn't it? But please tell me: what CD - I think there's one in the making, but don't know it yet - contains these incidental music compositions from 1913?  ::)
(There are a number of earlier pieces still unrecorded, but the question was about 'major works').
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Oates

Quote from: relm1 on September 12, 2017, 06:59:10 AM
So there are no more major works of RVW awaiting a recording, right?  We now have all there is?

Before his death wasn't RVW also working on a choral or operatic work called Thomas The Rhymer (which is also a folk song in its own right)?

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on September 12, 2017, 02:53:13 AM
Another great looking new release - especially as it is of the 1920 version and therefore includes the magical, poetic section just before the Epilogue which Vaughan Williams excised (mistakenly IMHO) in 1936.

Let's get a closer look at the cover art and the track information:

http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/notes/68190-B.pdf

vandermolen

Karl Henning

Quote from: Christo on September 12, 2017, 12:55:50 PM
- incidental music for The Merry Wives of Windsor (1913), Richard II (1913), Henry IV (1913), Richard III (1913), Henry V (1913), The Devil's Disciple (1913)

Is incidental music major work?  Not that your post is not fully of interest, mind.  I was just a little surprised at the reply.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: vandermolen on September 12, 2017, 02:53:13 AM

So is this the same version as the Hickox, or an intermediary version?  Draw me a diagram, I prithee!  0:)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Christo

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 15, 2017, 06:26:10 AMSo is this the same version as the Hickox, or an intermediary version?  Draw me a diagram, I prithee!  0:)
It's simple, in letters:
1914  A London  - the full score, lasting over an hour
1920  A Lnden  - drastic cuts in the slow movement and finale, but adding some new music to the scherzo
1934  A Lden   - more drastic cuts in the slow movement and finale, about 20 minutes of the music in total,

Karl Henning

Quote from: Christo on September 15, 2017, 10:55:00 AM
It's simple, in letters:
1920  A Lnden  - drastic cuts in the slow movement and finale, but adding some new music to the scherzo
1934  A Lden   - more drastic cuts in the slow movement and finale, about 20 minutes of the music in total,

Thx!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

relm1

Quote from: Christo on September 15, 2017, 10:55:00 AM
It's simple, in letters:

Hahaha.  Brilliant :)

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 14, 2017, 11:30:32 AM
Let's get a closer look at the cover art and the track information:

http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/notes/68190-B.pdf

I think that the school I attended as a boy is in the image  :o
It was on the Victoria Embankment on the same side of the river as St Paul's Cathedral. Certainly the building with the spire looks like it - how weird!
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=city+of+london+school+victoria+embankment&prmd=mniv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiJ1rC8l6nWAhVBIMAKHYI5Bt4Q_AUIEygD&biw=1024&bih=672#imgrc=NzulVUdLN6DjhM:

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on September 15, 2017, 11:33:31 PM
I think that the school I attended as a boy is in the image  :o
It was on the Victoria Embankment on the same side of the river as St Paul's Cathedral. Certainly the building with the spire looks like it - how weird!
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=city+of+london+school+victoria+embankment&prmd=mniv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiJ1rC8l6nWAhVBIMAKHYI5Bt4Q_AUIEygD&biw=1024&bih=672#imgrc=NzulVUdLN6DjhM:

I bet that is pretty surreal to see, Jeffrey. Freaky! :)

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 16, 2017, 05:57:49 AM
I bet that is pretty surreal to see, Jeffrey. Freaky! :)
Sure is John. It's in the right place on the Thames Embankment and is the right shape!

aukhawk

Was that lighthouse for real?  I first visited London as a small boy in the early '50s and I don't remember that anywhere along the Thames in the city.

vandermolen

Quote from: aukhawk on September 16, 2017, 11:43:56 PM
Was that lighthouse for real?  I first visited London as a small boy in the early '50s and I don't remember that anywhere along the Thames in the city.
No, it's a composite picture. Big Ben (now sadly silenced for repairs  :() is not next to St Paul's as in the picture.
That building with the spire, on the other side of the river on the left, does look like my old school and is in the right place on the Embankment in relation to St Paul's Cathedral.