Vaughan Williams's Veranda

Started by karlhenning, April 12, 2007, 06:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biffo

Quote from: Oates on September 12, 2018, 08:05:25 AM
Blimey, new RVW CDs are coming thick and fast this week! Look at this from Dutton:

https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=CDLX7351

The Blue Bird (1913)
Orchestrated by Martin Yates (2017)
1. No. 1 Introduction & First Dance (Moderato)
2. No. 2 The Clock Strikes (Più mosso)
3. No. 3 The Dance of the Hours (Andante piacevole)
4. No. 4 The Dance of the Loaves (Allegro giocoso)
5. No. 5 The Dance of the Fire (Allegro ma non troppo)
6. No. 6 The Dance of the Water (Molto moderato)
7. No. 7 The Fight between Fire and Water (Allegro con brio)
8. No. 8 General Dance (Allegro con brio)
9. No. 9 Finale (Molto adagio)

10. Norfolk Rhapsody No. 1 in E minor (1906 rev. 1914)

11. Norfolk Rhapsody No. 2 in D minor (1906)
Edited and completed by Stephen Hogger (2001)

DAVID MATTHEWS

12. Norfolk March (2016)

RALPH VAUGHAN WILLIAMS

Variations for Orchestra (1957) Orchestrated by Gordon Jacob (1959)
13. Introduction (Andante maestoso) – Variation 1 (Poco tranquillo)
14. Variation 2 (Tranquillo cantabile)
15. Variation 3 (Allegro)
16. Variation 4 (Canon: Allegro)
17. Variation 5 (Moderato sostenuto)
18. Variation 6 (Tempo di valse)
19. Variation 7 (Arabesque: Andante sostenuto)
20. Variation 8 (Alla polacca)
21. Variation 9 (Adagio)
22. Variation 10 (Fugato: Allegro moderato)
23. Variation 11 (Chorale: Allegro moderato)

Music for an EFDS Masque (1934)
24. i A Folk Dance Medley Edited by Martin Yates (2017)
25. ii Little March Suite Orchestrated by Martin Yates (2017)

26. Christmas Overture (1934)

Edited and completed by Martin Yates (2017)
WORLD PREMIERE RECORDINGS, EXCEPT [10-11, 13-23]
ROYAL SCOTTISH NATIONAL ORCHESTRA conducted by MARTIN YATES

Thanks for the info. It looks more tempting (to me) than the disc of choral music.

vandermolen

Blimey, new RVW CDs are coming thick and fast this week! Look at this from Dutton:

The Blue Bird (1913)

DAVID MATTHEWS

12. Norfolk March (2016)

RALPH VAUGHAN WILLIAMS

21. Variation 9 (Adagio)

Yes, I've ordered this one.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

calyptorhynchus

The Blue Bird (1913)

DAVID MATTHEWS

12. Norfolk March (2016)

RALPH VAUGHAN WILLIAMS

21. Variation 9 (Adagio)

Time to wave the credit card.
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Biffo on August 12, 2018, 03:10:24 AM
the Tallis Fantasia, a work I am obsessed with.

As someone who has spent their life as a professional string player I think the Tallis Fantasia embodies the very essence of string playing.  There are MANY great works for strings alone or featuring strings but if I had to choose just one it would be the Tallis.  I love the version recorded in Gloucester Cathedral that turned up on a BBC Music Magazine disc.  Apart from being the location of the premiere and the space for which the work was written I think that Andrew Davis absolutely nails the reflective ecstasy of the work

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on September 12, 2018, 01:27:34 PM
As someone who has spent their life as a professional string player I think the Tallis Fantasia embodies the very essence of string playing.  There are MANY great works for strings alone or featuring strings but if I had to choose just one it would be the Tallis.  I love the version recorded in Gloucester Cathedral that turned up on a BBC Music Magazine disc.  Apart from being the location of the premiere and the space for which the work was written I think that Andrew Davis absolutely nails the reflective ecstasy of the work

I think that there is a fine recording by Silvestri also recorded in a cathedral - my favourite version.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Christo

It is - and can also be watched on Youtube (I hate the opening take, but love all the rest of it):
https://www.youtube.com/v/ihx5LCF1yJY
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Roasted Swan

there's a "music recorded in cathedrals" thread here - the great Del Mar/RPO/Enigma in Guildford Cathedral for one.  I also like the Gibson/SNO/Spirit of England & Coronation Ode in Paisley Abbey and then the Tjeknavorian/RLPO/Saint-Saens 3 in Liverpool's Anglican Cathedral...

Biffo

Quote from: Roasted Swan on September 12, 2018, 11:39:00 PM
there's a "music recorded in cathedrals" thread here - the great Del Mar/RPO/Enigma in Guildford Cathedral for one.  I also like the Gibson/SNO/Spirit of England & Coronation Ode in Paisley Abbey and then the Tjeknavorian/RLPO/Saint-Saens 3 in Liverpool's Anglican Cathedral...

Performances in cathedrals (recordings are a different matter) can be hit and miss. It depends on the cathedral, the work and, crucially, where you are sitting. A performance of Bruckner 9 (Barenboim) in St Paul's Cathedral was almost inaudible - a few brass climaxes apart - from the back of the knave. A performance of Berlioz' Grand Messe des Morts (Davis) from a seat under the dome was the experience of a lifetime. Westminster Cathedral has a much better acoustic and the Berlioz Te Deum (Wilcocks) sounded magnificent.

In the cheap seats in Exeter Cathedral, a last minute purchase, Britten's Rejoice in the Lamb was completely inaudible (some may find that a blessing) and Faure's Requiem just a distant wash of sound.

Listening to Sir Neville Marriner rehearsing the Mozart Requiem in Salisbury Cathedral was interesting, no idea what the actual performance was like.

The Silvestri/Bournemouth SO Tallis Fantasia, mentioned above, was recorded in Winchester Cathedral.

knight66

Gloucester Cathedral works well for some pieces, not for others. I can imagine the RVW being perfect there and I was in a Faure Requiem there that went very well, and a mash-up of a B Minor Mass where the acoustic blurred the lines with all the hard work going for nothing. Rachmaninov Vespers was terrific, Gerontious, patch.

I also really like that Paisley Abbey Elgar recording.

Mike 
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Biffo

I only found out recently, though it has probably always been in the small print; the Barbirolli/Sinfonia of London version of the Tallis Fantasia was recorded in the middle of the night in the Temple Church in the City of London - a magical recording.

knight66

Quote from: Biffo on September 13, 2018, 01:25:44 AM
I only found out recently, though it has probably always been in the small print; the Barbirolli/Sinfonia of London version of the Tallis Fantasia was recorded in the middle of the night in the Temple Church in the City of London - a magical recording.

That's the one I have, that whole disc is beautiful and moving.

Mike

Roasted Swan

The Rachmaninov Vespers are a good call for a big acoustic.  I remember having a CD of a Bulgarian choir recorded in one of those massive rotunda with the sound rolling around the space and overlapping with each new entry - rather wonderful.  The 1st time I ever heard Mahler 8 live was in Liverpool's Anglican Cathedral in the late 1970's.  Much of it was very blurred but the opening with the big organ pedals was worth the entry alone. 

Some years later I had a summer job front of house managing some events at the City of London Festival.  This included numbering all the seat in St. Pauls for a Berlioz Requiem!  The concert I treasure from that year was in the chapel inside the Tower of London - tiny venue but so steeped in history that a concert there by candlelight was very special.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Roasted Swan on September 13, 2018, 02:08:49 AM
The Rachmaninov Vespers are a good call for a big acoustic.  I remember having a CD of a Bulgarian choir recorded in one of those massive rotunda with the sound rolling around the space and overlapping with each new entry - rather wonderful.  The 1st time I ever heard Mahler 8 live was in Liverpool's Anglican Cathedral in the late 1970's.  Much of it was very blurred but the opening with the big organ pedals was worth the entry alone. 

Some years later I had a summer job front of house managing some events at the City of London Festival.  This included numbering all the seat in St. Pauls for a Berlioz Requiem!  The concert I treasure from that year was in the chapel inside the Tower of London - tiny venue but so steeped in history that a concert there by candlelight was very special.

Beautiful.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Very nice.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

knight66

Quote from: Roasted Swan on September 13, 2018, 02:08:49 AM

I don't think I have ever heard the Requiem in an ideal acoustic. Did it in a vast inflated tent in Milan once, better than you might assume, but not at all ideal. Mahler 8 did well in Worcester Cathedral.

The RVW Blake Songs were very atmospheric done in a small church in Gloucestershire. Little Lamb was truly haunting.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mXjDQhC8TLI

The link is to a performance with Ian Partridge, an ideal voice for the piece.

Mike

vandermolen

Quote from: knight66 on September 12, 2018, 01:00:56 AM
During this year's Edinburgh Festival I was in chorus for Martyn Brabbins' performance of the Sea Symphony. The concert is being broadcast on the radio Thur 13th Sept, (tomorrow), in the evening and will then be available of the BBCiPlayer.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0000bpf

The performance got very good reviews, but perhaps even better is the sensational performance beforehand of Musgrave's Turbulent Landscapes.

The following review gives a vivid account of the Musgrave.

https://bachtrack.com/review-vaughan-williams-brabbins-watts-bbc-scottish-symphony-orchestra-usher-hall-edinburgh-august-2018

Mike

That was broadcast on Radio 3 last night and sounded like a very fine performance. I missed the Musgrave but must look out for it after what you said. Great to know that you contributed to the performance Mike!

knight66

Quote from: vandermolen on September 13, 2018, 10:43:42 PM
That was broadcast on Radio 3 last night and sounded like a very fine performance. I missed the Musgrave but must look out for it after what you said. Great to know that you contributed to the performance Mike!

Thanks, I have heard it now. It goes well. The sound is very recessed, so has relatively little impact, a pity. Our Mahler 8 was recorded for Swedish Radio, their microphone set up was completely different. I hope to somehow hear how it turned out.

Mike

Biffo

Quote from: knight66 on September 14, 2018, 01:44:34 PM
Thanks, I have heard it now. It goes well. The sound is very recessed, so has relatively little impact, a pity. Our Mahler 8 was recorded for Swedish Radio, their microphone set up was completely different. I hope to somehow hear how it turned out.

Mike

I listened to the performance yesterday afternoon and found the sound picture very realistic, not recessed at all; strange.

knight66

Quote from: Biffo on September 15, 2018, 12:53:18 AM
I listened to the performance yesterday afternoon and found the sound picture very realistic, not recessed at all; strange.

Perhaps it is my iPad, though a friend in the chorus wrote to me today and she thought the same. I could try again with earphones.

Mike

Biffo

Quote from: knight66 on September 15, 2018, 06:30:21 AM
Perhaps it is my iPad, though a friend in the chorus wrote to me today and she thought the same. I could try again with earphones.

Mike

I streamed the work from my PC to my hi-fi and listened to it through speakers. I thought the broadcast caught the chorus particularly well.