Vaughan Williams's Veranda

Started by karlhenning, April 12, 2007, 06:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on October 13, 2018, 10:40:36 AMI can't believe that you don't like the 'Five Mystical Songs' - this is almost as bad as not liking the 'Serenade to Music'  :o
Well, it's simply that the first is a proof of good taste and the second of a regrettable lack of it.  8)

Quote from: vandermolen on October 13, 2018, 10:40:36 AM
Undoubtedly the one conducted by Sir David Willcocks, which, IMHO, is one of the great EMI CDs, coupled with the best ever 'Dies Natalis' by Finzi and some fine Holst.
[asin]B000005GSD[/asin]
Seriously, this is perhaps the greatest CD in their 'British Composer' series.
Have it, of course, and like the Finzi very much.  ;D
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on October 13, 2018, 01:28:10 PM
Well, it's simply that the first is a proof of good taste and the second of a regrettable lack of it.  8)
Have it, of course, and like the Finzi very much.  ;D

Haha  :D

I don't know a better performance of the Five Mystical Songs although I also like the CD conducted by Bryden Thomson which couples it with Dona Nobis Pacem.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on October 13, 2018, 03:04:31 PM
Haha  :D

I don't know a better performance of the Five Mystical Songs although I also like the CD conducted by Bryden Thomson which couples it with Dona Nobis Pacem.

The Willcocks performance of Five Mystical Songs is in a class of its' own. Truly a magnificent performance and I've heard, and own, several.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 15, 2018, 07:30:44 PM
The Willcocks performance of Five Mystical Songs is in a class of its' own. Truly a magnificent performance and I've heard, and own, several.

I agree John and I have a number of other recordings as well. It has a unique atmosphere to it.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Biffo

The Hyperion disc from Matthew Best and the Corydon Singers is one of my favourite RVW albums. It has wonderful performances of the Serenade to Music, Five Mystical Songs (with Thomas Allen in superb form) and Flos Campi. Although I have a strong emotional attachment to Boult's Serenade, for me, Best is best. I have the Willcocks Mystical Songs on LP but haven't listened to it for quite some time.

vandermolen

BBC Music Magazine (November issue) reviews different recordings of 'A Pastoral Symphony'. The Previn LSO version is the No.1 choice (it is mine too). They also recommend the recordings by Elder (the best in his series IMHO), Norrington (also the best in his, IMHO, very disappointing series) and Bakels (Naxos). The article is critical of Boult's EMI recording, arguing that the much earlier 1953 LPO version (Decca) 'has a fire and vibrancy that the re-make cannot equal'.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: vandermolen on October 16, 2018, 01:11:44 AM
BBC Music Magazine (November issue) reviews different recordings of 'A Pastoral Symphony'. The Previn LSO version is the No.1 choice (it is mine too). They also recommend the recordings by Elder (the best in his series IMHO), Norrington (also the best in his, IMHO, very disappointing series) and Bakels (Naxos). The article is critical of Boult's EMI recording, arguing that the much earlier 1953 LPO version (Decca) 'has a fire and vibrancy that the re-make cannot equal'.

I certainly agree about the Previn recording. It was the first to sell me on the work.

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on October 16, 2018, 01:11:44 AM
For me it helps to confirm the quality of the new Elder recording I started listening to this Summer - and found one of the very best. I don't know the Norrington, but cherish his unconventional live recording of A Pastoral Symphony with the Concertgebouw orchestra in 2003 (an occasion I missed, to my regrets), still on Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/v/dZzMMfliLUg&t=744s
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

André

The Hymnal is Vaughan Williams' response to a commission by an Anglican clergyman, rev. Percy Dearmer. It occupied the composer for two years (1904-1906). A convinced atheist, VW nevertheless valued the language of the Bible and the Prayer Book, and relished visionary religious stories such as Job or Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress.

VW was quite fond of the results. The Hymnal brought him into contact with «  some of the best (and also some of the worst) music in the world and was 'worth any amount of fugues and sonatas' » . Furthermore, it was quite in line with his endeavour, started the year before the Hymnal commission, to collect English folk songs.

Apart from the hymns, the disc includes three organ works that VW was to publish separately under the title Three Organ Preludes Founded on Welsh Hymn Tunes. This recording emanates from VW's alma mater, Trinity College, Cambridge, and dates from 1996. It was originally released on the Conifer label. It's an absolutely gorgeous compendium of some of the best tunes sung in english parishes.

vandermolen

Took my in laws for a day out at Westminster Abbey yesterday. Made sure to point out the grave of RVW.

The plaque to Elgar is a memorial - he is buried elsewhere. VW's memorial stone now has a small separate 'UVW' next to it where his second wife Ursula's ashes are buried. I wasn't allowed to take a photo in the Abbey.

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on October 25, 2018, 11:19:06 PM
Took my in laws for a day out at Westminster Abbey yesterday. Made sure to point out the grave of RVW.

The plaque to Elgar is a memorial - he is buried elsewhere. VW's memorial stone now has a small separate 'UVW' next to it where his second wife Ursula's ashes are buried. I wasn't allowed to take a photo in the Abbey.
Great to learn, thanks! Was there back in 1986, when entering Westminster Abbey was still an uncomplicated walk; was deterred by the queues ever since (even last May  ;)).

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Christo on October 16, 2018, 10:27:39 AM
For me it helps to confirm the quality of the new Elder recording I started listening to this Summer - and found one of the very best. I don't know the Norrington, but cherish his unconventional live recording of A Pastoral Symphony with the Concertgebouw orchestra in 2003 (an occasion I missed, to my regrets), still on Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/v/dZzMMfliLUg&t=744s

I happened to listen yesterday to the Proms/Pastoral from this Summer with Brabbins.  Overall a very good concert with an excellent Parry Symphony No.5 but I found this Pastoral rather disappointing and lacking in atmosphere and the pained restraint that lies at this work's heart.  All a bit literal right down to the off-stage trumpet and soprano being too present.  Of course it might have felt very different in the hall itself.....

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on October 26, 2018, 12:18:45 AM
Great to learn, thanks! Was there back in 1986, when entering Westminster Abbey was still an uncomplicated walk; was deterred by the queues ever since (even last May  ;)).
OT

Thanks. It was a birthday present for Katy's (my wife) mother and her dad and brother came as well. I remember going there for a Boult VW Centenary concert in 1972 (Symphony 5 etc - which was great to hear in those surroundings). In those days there was free entry and you could just stroll around as you liked. I even did some research there in the Library when I was at university which was a great experience for me (it was about Henry VII's chapel) and it was great to look at the original document commissioning the tomb from the reign of Henry VIII. I found it depressing having to pay £22 to get in and then have to follow a designated path around the place. Actually I didn't pay as my wife booked it all in advance. Still, my in laws had a great day out and it was worth seeing the new (2018) memorial to Stephen Hawking. Other composers in situ there are Handel and Purcess plus memorials to Walton. I think that Boult's ashes are there too and there is a plaque for Britten.

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on October 26, 2018, 01:31:16 AM
OT

Thanks. It was a birthday present for Katy's (my wife) mother and her dad and brother came as well. I remember going there for a Boult VW Centenary concert in 1972 (Symphony 5 etc - which was great to hear in those surroundings). In those days there was free entry and you could just stroll around as you liked. I even did some research there in the Library when I was at university which was a great experience for me (it was about Henry VII's chapel) and it was great to look at the original document commissioning the tomb from the reign of Henry VIII. I found it depressing having to pay £22 to get in and then have to follow a designated path around the place. Actually I didn't pay as my wife booked it all in advance. Still, my in laws had a great day out and it was worth seeing the new (2018) memorial to Stephen Hawking. Other composers in situ there are Handel and Purcess plus memorials to Walton. I think that Boult's ashes are there too and there is a plaque for Britten.

You have sold it! Last year on our anniversary, which falls in December, we visited St Paul's. This year on the same day Westminster Abbey it will be. Thanks.

Revolution Records was a part of Barrington-Coupe's stable of small labels. Such a shame that his reputation was destroyed with the Joyce Hatto scandal. He produced some excellent recordings of English chamber music, an area neglected by larger labels at that time.

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on October 27, 2018, 12:10:23 AM
You have sold it! Last year on our anniversary, which falls in December, we visited St Paul's. This year on the same day Westminster Abbey it will be. Thanks.

Revolution Records was a part of Barrington-Coupe's stable of small labels. Such a shame that his reputation was destroyed with the Joyce Hatto scandal. He produced some excellent recordings of English chamber music, an area neglected by larger labels at that time.

I'm sure you'll have a great time there (nice cafe too!) I had two genuine recordings of Bax Symphony 4 and a Moeran disc. Oddly enough Mr Barrington-Coupe threw in a freebie CD - one of the fake Joyce Hatto Rachmaninov recordings.

71 dB

I have never been into RVW as I find his best known works a bit boring "folk" stuff. Years ago I listened to the 1st symphony, but never had the interest to listen to the rest. Lately I have had a "British music phase" and tried this on Spotify:

[asin]B07CLPHZ4P[/asin]

I liked it more than all that Lark Ascending/Tallis Fantasia stuff. Especially 'Serenade to Music' blew me away. It's the best RWV I have ever heard. All the music on this CD is pretty good. RVW's output is large and filtering the stuff I like out of it all seems a scary task, but maybe with time and patience I can do it.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

vandermolen

Quote from: 71 dB on October 31, 2018, 12:46:49 PM
I have never been into RVW as I find his best known works a bit boring "folk" stuff. Years ago I listened to the 1st symphony, but never had the interest to listen to the rest. Lately I have had a "British music phase" and tried this on Spotify:

[asin]B07CLPHZ4P[/asin]

I liked it more than all that Lark Ascending/Tallis Fantasia stuff. Especially 'Serenade to Music' blew me away. It's the best RWV I have ever heard. All the music on this CD is pretty good. RVW's output is large and filtering the stuff I like out of it all seems a scary task, but maybe with time and patience I can do it.

The Piano Concerto is a very underrated work I think and I also like Flos Campi. Yes, it's a fine CD.

Christo

Quote from: 71 dB on October 31, 2018, 12:46:49 PM
I have never been into RVW as I find his best known works a bit boring "folk" stuff. Years ago I listened to the 1st symphony, but never had the interest to listen to the rest.
Personally, the Sea Symphony - I played a new recording in the car yesterday, even twice, but to no avail - never convinced me, though I love almost every other single piece by this prodigious composer. The First is still too much part of Elgar's world.  ;D
As for the symphonies, a better place to start is with No. 6 (also the most succesful in his lifetime). I adore Thomson's slow-but-thundering version of it, but you won't go wrong with Boult, Previn, even Davis:
https://www.youtube.com/v/fGZqLuPT5CM

71 dB

Quote from: Christo on November 01, 2018, 12:29:33 AM
The First is still too much part of Elgar's world.  ;D

Maybe that was the reason why I tried it, Elgarian as I am. Maybe because it's number one and a logical place to start.  ;D
I'll try thr sixth next. Serenade to Music means there is hope...

...The Finzi Dies Natalis disc arrived and I'm listening to it. 'Easter' of Five Mystical Songs is nice.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on November 01, 2018, 12:29:33 AM
Personally, the Sea Symphony - I played a new recording in the car yesterday, even twice, but to no avail - never convinced me, though I love almost every other single piece by this prodigious composer. The First is still too much part of Elgar's world.  ;D
As for the symphonies, a better place to start is with No. 6 (also the most succesful in his lifetime). I adore Thomson's slow-but-thundering version of it, but you won't go wrong with Boult, Previn, even Davis:
https://www.youtube.com/v/fGZqLuPT5CM

For decades I didn't make much of A Sea Symphony but Haitink's recording was transformative for me. Having said that the best music is in the final movement and the work, as a whole,  is perhaps over-long. It's a pity that Vaughan Williams didn't make cuts to A Sea Symphony rather than to A London Symphony, although I realise that this is controversial. Certainly I've come to appreciate A Sea Symphony much more in the last decade.