Vaughan Williams's Veranda

Started by karlhenning, April 12, 2007, 06:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: 71 dB on November 01, 2018, 02:21:16 AM
Maybe that was the reason why I tried it, Elgarian as I am. Maybe because it's number one and a logical place to start.  ;D
I'll try thr sixth next. Serenade to Music means there is hope...

...The Finzi Dies Natalis disc arrived and I'm listening to it. 'Easter' of Five Mystical Songs is nice.

I'd also suggest VW's Symphony 5.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Roasted Swan

Quote from: vandermolen on November 01, 2018, 04:22:34 AM
Having said that the best music is in the final movement and the work, as a whole,  is perhaps over-long.

Ah the joy of differing opinions!  I've always really liked the Sea Symphony - but like the 4th movement least!

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on November 01, 2018, 04:23:29 AM
I'd also suggest VW's Symphony 5.
The best option is to play them both, in consequent order, but the two recordings that combine them - Marriner's and Norrington's - fail to convince. This one is better:
https://www.youtube.com/v/76gAxsT4_5I&t=2058s
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Karl Henning

Quote from: vandermolen on November 01, 2018, 04:22:34 AM
[...] Certainly I've come to appreciate A Sea Symphony much more in the last decade.

Well, then what is your hurry to suggest cuts?  Wait another five years  8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: Roasted Swan on November 01, 2018, 04:30:21 AM
Ah the joy of differing opinions!  I've always really liked the Sea Symphony - but like the 4th movement least!

Myself, I do not have a "least favorite" element of A Sea Symphony, and (possibly because my first experience of the piece was the Haitink) I have always liked the piece, too.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

71 dB

Liking something is not enough, because there's more music out there I "like" than I have time or money in invest in it. It's about choosing between de Falla and Vauhan Williams to make up a concrete case. If I explore BOTH de Falla and Vaughan Williams I have to drop Rubbra. Spending time and money on a specific composer is always away from other music, not only classical. If I have learned anything in life it's that exploring music is a slow process. If I force myself to "work fast", I stop enjoying what I am doing it all becomes pointless. I need to take my time to enjoy new discoveries. Yes, I could listen to all the symphonies back to back next weekend on Spotify, but would I enjoy them? Right now I am into the Finzi/Holst/RVW disc I received today and the Howells + Elgar discs are coming next. I will also receive new electronic music by The Prodigy and Empirion + the new Mull Historical Society album.

Exploring most of Elgar's works took me about two years (1997 and 1998) and he is THE composer that really speaks to my soul. If RVW has more music I like as much as "Serenade to Music", he is worth my time. At this point I don't know.

Classical music isn't my only "hobby". I'm into electronic music and other kind of music too. I also use my time and money on movies and tv shows. Lately I have been into 70's scifi (Rollerball, Zadok, Westworld, Space 1999...) because the nostalgy value of this stuff for a 47 years old dude is huge and it's not plagued with constant shaky camera and fast editing which I hate.

Thanks for the suggestions, but I have to take it slow to enjoy it.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Karl Henning

Quote from: 71 dB on November 01, 2018, 05:40:26 AM
Liking something is not enough, because there's more music out there I "like" than I have time or money in invest in it.

Okay, okay:  I am mad keen on A Sea Symphony, thanks to Haitink.

But, I am also super mad keen on the Tallis Fantasia, which you were at pains to poo-poo  8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

71 dB

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 01, 2018, 05:41:45 AM
Okay, okay:  I am mad keen on A Sea Symphony, thanks to Haitink.

But, I am also super mad keen on the Tallis Fantasia, which you were at pains to poo-poo  8)

So you like RVW. That's good, but there's music out there you don't like which I do.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on November 01, 2018, 04:31:20 AM
The best option is to play them both, in consequent order, but the two recordings that combine them - Marriner's and Norrington's - fail to convince. This one is better:
https://www.youtube.com/v/76gAxsT4_5I&t=2058s

Which one is that? Nothing appeared on my screen.

I have an old HMV CD featuring Symphony 5 (Gibson) and Symphony 6 (Berglund) which I think is fine. I was only playing it yesterday.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Liking something is not enough, because there's more music out there I "like" than I have time or money in invest in it. It's about choosing between de Falla and Vauhan Williams to make up a concrete case. If I explore BOTH de Falla and Vaughan Williams I have to drop Rubbra. Spending time and money on a specific composer is always away from other music, not only classical. If I have learned anything in life it's that exploring music is a slow process. If I force myself to "work fast", I stop enjoying what I am doing it all becomes pointless. I need to take my time to enjoy new discoveries. Yes, I could listen to all the symphonies back to back next weekend on Spotify, but would I enjoy them? Right now I am into the Finzi/Holst/RVW disc I received today and the Howells + Elgar discs are coming next. I will also receive new electronic music by The Prodigy and Empirion + the new Mull Historical Society album.

Exploring most of Elgar's works took me about two years (1997 and 1998) and he is THE composer that really speaks to my soul. If RVW has more music I like as much as "Serenade to Music", he is worth my time. At this point I don't know.

Classical music isn't my only "hobby". I'm into electronic music and other kind of music too. I also use my time and money on movies and tv shows. Lately I have been into 70's scifi (Rollerball, Zadok, Westworld, Space 1999...) because the nostalgy value of this stuff for a 47 years old dude is huge and it's not plagued with constant shaky camera and fast editing which I hate.

In the meantime, I hope that you enjoy the Holst/Finzi/VW CD which I think is fabulous.

I'm very much with you in regard to the 'shaky camera', fast-editing situation.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

vandermolen

71 dB

Quote from: vandermolen on November 01, 2018, 07:27:01 AM
In the meantime, I hope that you enjoy the Holst/Finzi/VW CD which I think is fabulous.
Well, it's certainly not a bad disc.  ;D At the moment I like Finzi most, but I need to listen to more.

Quote from: vandermolen on November 01, 2018, 07:27:01 AMI'm very much with you in regard to the 'shaky camera', fast-editing situation.

I think "reality TV" gave us this nuisance. Also, artistical risk-taking is at zero level. Everything has to be "cool" for the majority.  ::)

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

I would only say that in the 1st you picked the most uncharacteristic of Vaughan Williams' symphonies. If you are looking for the most Elgarish, it might be the second. To reduce them to one-word epitaphs, the third is 'spiritual,' the forth harsh, the fifth spiritual or new-agey, the sixth intense, the seventh, well the seventh has a wind machine, the eighth and ninth indosyncratic.

I think they are a remarkable cycle.

Karl Henning

A Sea Symphony is indeed the least characteristic;  and you are right:  they are an admirable cycle  8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

71 dB

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on November 01, 2018, 10:02:01 AM
I would only say that in the 1st you picked the most uncharacteristic of Vaughan Williams' symphonies. If you are looking for the most Elgarish, it might be the second. To reduce them to one-word epitaphs, the third is 'spiritual,' the forth harsh, the fifth spiritual or new-agey, the sixth intense, the seventh, well the seventh has a wind machine, the eighth and ninth indosyncratic.

Well, I'm looking for music I enjoy and "Elgarish" is one part of that but not all of it. Thanks for the descriptions.  ;)

Since I have this British composers phase, listening to the symphonies on Spotify could a one task to do... ...nine is so many.  :o

A couple of years ago I did listen to the Alwyn symphony cycle and liked #5 the most (purchased the Naxos recording of it).

vandermolen

Quote from: 71 dB on November 01, 2018, 10:58:27 AM
Well, I'm looking for music I enjoy and "Elgarish" is one part of that but not all of it. Thanks for the descriptions.  ;)

Since I have this British composers phase, listening to the symphonies on Spotify could a one task to do... ...nine is so many.  :o

A couple of years ago I did listen to the Alwyn symphony cycle and liked #5 the most (purchased the Naxos recording of it).

I'm also an Alwyn admirer and like all the symphonies although No.2 is my favourite. As for VW I think that his most 'Elgarian' work might be 'Toward the Unknown Region'.

71 dB

Quote from: vandermolen on November 01, 2018, 11:22:07 AM
I'm also an Alwyn admirer and like all the symphonies although No.2 is my favourite. As for VW I think that his most 'Elgarian' work might be 'Toward the Unknown Region'.

The Naxos disc has also #2 so it contains your and my favorites.  ;)

I'll try to check "Toward the Elgarian Region" out.  :D

Christo

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on November 01, 2018, 10:02:01 AMTo reduce them to one-word epitaphs, the third is 'spiritual,' the forth harsh, the fifth spiritual or new-agey, the sixth intense, the seventh, well the seventh has a wind machine, the eighth and ninth indosyncratic.

Good characterization (except for 'new-agey'; it's rather old-agey). And the Antartica is 'exploring', explorative. #somethinglikethat  8)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948