Vaughan Williams's Veranda

Started by karlhenning, April 12, 2007, 06:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biffo

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 17, 2019, 04:31:13 AM
I was asking some questions over on the current listening thread--to which Irons kindly replied with some information regarding Boult and his recordings of the Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis--and am wondering which of the recordings my fellow forumites like best of them (if any)?   :)

Best wishes,

PD

My favourite for the Tallis Fantasia is Barbirolli and the Sinfonia of London but there are numerous other fine recordings including Silvestri/Bournemouth SO. Andrew Davis gave a very fine performance in Gloucester Cathedral as part of a television program; it was issued with the BBC Music Magazine but not otherwise generally available,

Christo

Quote from: Biffo on January 17, 2019, 06:04:02 AM
My favourite for the Tallis Fantasia is Barbirolli and the Sinfonia of London but there are numerous other fine recordings including Silvestri/Bournemouth SO. Andrew Davis gave a very fine performance in Gloucester Cathedral as part of a television program; it was issued with the BBC Music Magazine but not otherwise generally available,
Still found on Youtube (please, close your eyes during the unnecessarily dramatized opening shot - and enjoy everything that comes after:
https://www.youtube.com/v/GpwqZSp_CyM
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

JBS

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 16, 2019, 06:37:12 PM
To the bolded text, nah. If your view on Manze mirrors my own, which I believe it does, then the best thing you could do is probably sell them to a second-hand shop.

:laugh:
I did say I seem to be in the minority here.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mirror Image

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: JBS on January 17, 2019, 07:24:23 AM
:laugh:
I did say I seem to be in the minority here.

I'm happy with my stack of Vaughan-Williams recording and not in the market for more. But it reminds me, I have the Manze/Brahms symphony cycle, which I acquired after the descriptions I read seemed to be a perfect match for my preference in Brahms, but I never got around to listening to it, although I have listened to a lot of Brahms since then. I have too many Brahms recordings...

vandermolen

As for Tallis I like Sivestri and any of the Boult recordings. The last two are especially good, on Lyrita (originally coupled with Rubbra's 7th Symphony on LP, though not on CD )and EMI.

I read a review of the new Manze recording of A Sea Symphony which stated that it was very good but did not displace any of the top recordings (Haitink in my view). That is pretty much my view of the Manze cycle, so far,  as a whole and also Vernon Handley's for that matter.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

For Tallis, it's Barbirolli. That's it.

There are pieces of music where I think, "It's been recorded enough, why do they bother?"

vandermolen

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on January 17, 2019, 10:15:32 AM
For Tallis, it's Barbirolli. That's it.

There are pieces of music where I think, "It's been recorded enough, why do they bother?"

For some reason I hardly ever listen to the Barbirolli, although his is my favourite version of Symphony 5 and the 1936 version of A London Symphony. I think that I prefer Boult's more objective approach to the music of VW.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Nice to read about your favorites.  I dug a bit further and noticed that on LP, I also have a recording with Leonard Slatkin (haven't listened to it yet).  Also, I forgot to check through my box sets (!   :-[ ).  I do have the recording with Silvestri, but alas not the one with Barbirolli (I do really enjoy the VW symphonic recordings that I've heard with him conducting; I have a few on CD and some on LP).  A while back, I bought a special EMI boxed set of Barbirolli's recordings; believe that it includes Vaughan Williams' fifth symphony, but nothing else by him.

Regarding Andrew Davis, thank you for that youtube link.  I'll watch it later.  I've heard that special live recording before now (trying to find a copy of that BBC MM disc).  As an aside, I did see him conduct the Tallis live once which was quite special.   :)

I'll have to look again in a bit to see what other suggestions/comments I might have missed.  Thanks again!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 17, 2019, 01:03:22 PM
Nice to read about your favorites.  I dug a bit further and noticed that on LP, I also have a recording with Leonard Slatkin (haven't listened to it yet).  Also, I forgot to check through my box sets (!   :-[ ).  I do have the recording with Silvestri, but alas not the one with Barbirolli (I do really enjoy the VW symphonic recordings that I've heard with him conducting; I have a few on CD and some on LP).  A while back, I bought a special EMI boxed set of Barbirolli's recordings; believe that it includes Vaughan Williams' fifth symphony, but nothing else by him.

Regarding Andrew Davis, thank you for that youtube link.  I'll watch it later.  I've heard that special live recording before now (trying to find a copy of that BBC MM disc).  As an aside, I did see him conduct the Tallis live once which was quite special.   :)

I'll have to look again in a bit to see what other suggestions/comments I might have missed.  Thanks again!

PD

If by "special EMI box set" you mean this one:

You have V-W 2, 5 and Tallis Fantasia.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on January 17, 2019, 10:10:47 AM
As for Tallis I like Sivestri and any of the Boult recordings. The last two are especially good, on Lyrita (originally coupled with Rubbra's 7th Symphony on LP, though not on CD )and EMI.

I read a review of the new Manze recording of A Sea Symphony which stated that it was very good but did not displace any of the top recordings (Haitink in my view). That is pretty much my view of the Manze cycle, so far,  as a whole and also Vernon Handley's for that matter.
Hi Vandermolen.

I have the Haitink CD set of VW's symphonies but it's been a while since I've listened to them.  So, if I'm understanding you correctly, his are your favorite recordings of VW's symphonies?  And also that you are not keen on Vernon Handley's recordings of the symphonies?

Not the biggest fan of A Sea Symphony ....should give it some more listens to.

Best,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on January 17, 2019, 01:07:26 PM
If by "special EMI box set" you mean this one:

You have V-W 2, 5 and Tallis Fantasia.

Thank you!  I was confusing it with another set that I have--it's a Documents/Membran one which only has Symphony No. 5.  But, yes, I do also have that EMI set (had forgotten the name of the series); I see that Greensleeves is also on it too.  Will have to revisit it.   Thanks again! ;D

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 17, 2019, 03:23:40 PM
Hi Vandermolen.

I have the Haitink CD set of VW's symphonies but it's been a while since I've listened to them.  So, if I'm understanding you correctly, his are your favorite recordings of VW's symphonies?  And also that you are not keen on Vernon Handley's recordings of the symphonies?

Not the biggest fan of A Sea Symphony ....should give it some more listens to.

Best,

PD

Hi PJ - sorry, I only just saw this post.

Haitink's is my favourite 'A Sea Symphony' and won me over to an appreciation of it after decades of neglect. I wouldn't say that his is my favourite overall survey of the VW symphonies necessarily. As a collection I prefer both of the Boult (Decca and EMI) and the underrated Thompson boxed set on Chandos. Handley's are very sound but none are my favourite versions which are:
A Sea Symphony: Haitink
A London Symphony: Hickox (1913) Brabbins (1920) Previn (1936)
A Pastoral Symphony: Previn
Symphony 4: Berglund
Symphony 5: Barbirolli (EMI) + VW's own historical recording
Symphony 6: Boult (Decca) if you want a more modern recording: Berglund or Thompson.
Sinfonia Antartica: Boult (Decca) Haitink is highly rated but I need to hear it again. Rozhdestvensky is worth hearing for the organ going 'Dr Phibes' at one point. It is a very interesting cycle however.
Symphony 8: Previn
Symphony 9: Stokowski, Slatkin, Thompson, either Boult version.

I see that I've chosen several Previn recordings as my favourite so he is a good choice too and now very inexpensive, albeit without any notes in its current manifestation.

DaveF

Quote from: vandermolen on January 22, 2019, 01:23:29 AM
I see that I've chosen several Previn recordings as my favourite so he is a good choice too and now very inexpensive, albeit without any notes in its current manifestation.

Based on that recommendation I went looking for the cheap Previn box (I'm rehearsing for a performance of the London Symphony at the moment, so VW is high on my listening list) and found this splendid Amazonian mish-mash: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vaughan-Williams-Sym-Previn-Lso/dp/B00000E6D1/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1548163515&sr=8-4.  It's worth scrolling down to the customer review by "Peter" as well.
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

vandermolen

Quote from: DaveF on January 22, 2019, 04:31:00 AM
Based on that recommendation I went looking for the cheap Previn box (I'm rehearsing for a performance of the London Symphony at the moment, so VW is high on my listening list) and found this splendid Amazonian mish-mash: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vaughan-Williams-Sym-Previn-Lso/dp/B00000E6D1/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1548163515&sr=8-4.  It's worth scrolling down to the customer review by "Peter" as well.

Yes, Peter's review should place him top of the Amazon Reviewers chart! It reminds me of the time when I applied for a job teaching History at a school and received a reply stating that there had been an error in the job advertisement and they actually wanted a Maths teacher.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on January 22, 2019, 01:23:29 AM
Hi PJ - sorry, I only just saw this post.

Haitink's is my favourite 'A Sea Symphony' and won me over to an appreciation of it after decades of neglect. I wouldn't say that his is my favourite overall survey of the VW symphonies necessarily. As a collection I prefer both of the Boult (Decca and EMI) and the underrated Thompson boxed set on Chandos. Handley's are very sound but none are my favourite versions which are:
A Sea Symphony: Haitink
A London Symphony: Hickox (1913) Brabbins (1920) Previn (1936)
A Pastoral Symphony: Previn
Symphony 4: Berglund
Symphony 5: Barbirolli (EMI) + VW's own historical recording
Symphony 6: Boult (Decca) if you want a more modern recording: Berglund or Thompson.
Sinfonia Antartica: Boult (Decca) Haitink is highly rated but I need to hear it again. Rozhdestvensky is worth hearing for the organ going 'Dr Phibes' at one point. It is a very interesting cycle however.
Symphony 8: Previn
Symphony 9: Stokowski, Slatkin, Thompson, either Boult version.

Hi Vandermolen,

I have a number of the recordings that you mention and agree with you on at least several of them.  One thing I'm wondering:  have you heard Symphony No. 9, Boult on Everest?  I love that recording!  For any here who are not familiar with it, Boult recorded it very shortly after Vaughan Williams death (I read 7 hours on one site) and mentions that at the very beginning of the recording.  Such an intense opening and I think very powerful performance of the symphony.

Like you, I also have the Previn set (clamshell box set with a booklet with notes about the symphonies in various languages).  The Barbirolli 5 and VW's own (I have it on Somm) are favorites too.  A friend of mine also sent me an off-the-air recording that he had of a performance also conducted by VW which he had attended when he was I think about 10 years old too.  :-)

Have most of the Hickox Hybrid-SACD ones (except for the Sea Symphony) and the London is quite interesting to listen to though I do understand why Vaughan Williams made the cuts [There's also a wonderful Butterworth recording on it; first time that I had ever heard any works by that composer.].

Berglund in VW....I don't recall hearing any of his recordings?  Will have to dig around in collection and also online to see if I can find any (I do recall hearing that they were supposed to be good and once ran across a LP of one of them, but alas it had a big scratch on it).

Regarding Thomson:  I have a few of his recordings, but confess that so far anyway, his recordings haven't yet 'clicked' with me.  And I have the Boult Decca (clamshell) set....would like to get ahold of his later set at some point.  For some reason or another, I had trouble with the sound on the Decca set; don't normally have an issue listening to old(er) recordings as a whole.  :-(

By the way, does anyone here have the Bach recording that VW conducted?  It, alas, wasn't available for very long and I dithered too long on whether or not to buy it.  So it goes... :-(

Best,

PD

p.s.  Music from Turina???!  Huh?
Pohjolas Daughter

Biffo

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 22, 2019, 07:14:18 AM
Hi Vandermolen,

I have a number of the recordings that you mention and agree with you on at least several of them.  One thing I'm wondering:  have you heard Symphony No. 9, Boult on Everest?  I love that recording!  For any here who are not familiar with it, Boult recorded it very shortly after Vaughan Williams death (I read 7 hours on one site) and mentions that at the very beginning of the recording.  Such an intense opening and I think very powerful performance of the symphony.

Like you, I also have the Previn set (clamshell box set with a booklet with notes about the symphonies in various languages).  The Barbirolli 5 and VW's own (I have it on Somm) are favorites too.  A friend of mine also sent me an off-the-air recording that he had of a performance also conducted by VW which he had attended when he was I think about 10 years old too.  :-)

Have most of the Hickox Hybrid-SACD ones (except for the Sea Symphony) and the London is quite interesting to listen to though I do understand why Vaughan Williams made the cuts [There's also a wonderful Butterworth recording on it; first time that I had ever heard any works by that composer.].

Berglund in VW....I don't recall hearing any of his recordings?  Will have to dig around in collection and also online to see if I can find any (I do recall hearing that they were supposed to be good and once ran across a LP of one of them, but alas it had a big scratch on it).

Regarding Thomson:  I have a few of his recordings, but confess that so far anyway, his recordings haven't yet 'clicked' with me.  And I have the Boult Decca (clamshell) set....would like to get ahold of his later set at some point.  For some reason or another, I had trouble with the sound on the Decca set; don't normally have an issue listening to old(er) recordings as a whole.  :-(

By the way, does anyone here have the Bach recording that VW conducted?  It, alas, wasn't available for very long and I dithered too long on whether or not to buy it.  So it goes... :-(

Best,

PD

Berglund recorded Symphony No 4 with the RPO and No 6 with the Bournemouth SO. I have them as part of the Warner Icon box (13CDs) but possibly they are available separately.

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Biffo on January 22, 2019, 08:04:40 AM
Berglund recorded Symphony No 4 with the RPO and No 6 with the Bournemouth SO. I have them as part of the Warner Icon box (13CDs) but possibly they are available separately.

They're both outstanding and conveniently coupled on this EMI Twofer: http://a-fwd.to/6Gr6eCE

Mirror Image

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 22, 2019, 07:14:18 AM
Hi Vandermolen,

Best,

PD

Hi PD (sorry I called you 'PJ'  ::))
The Berglund No.4 was BBC Record Review top choice a while back. Not that that in itself is necessarily important - they chose the Hickox version of No.6 which I didn't think was that good).
I have the Pearl CD of VW conducting Bach but have hardly ever listened to it I'm afraid.
Yes, I really like Boult's Everest release of Symphony 9 (also included in the Decca box). It is very moving indeed. Some versions start with a speech by Boult acknowledging the composer's death a few hours before the recording session. I also like Boult's EMI recording and one by Andrew Davis issued with BBC Music Magazine a while back. The other interesting recorded speech is that from the composer himself thanking Boult and the LPO 'including the lady harpist' at the end of Boult's IMHO unrivalled performance of Symphony 6 on Decca. I agree with you about the cuts in A London Symphony. He should have stopped at least at the 1920 edition as in 1936 he cut out the most moving section of the symphony just before the end. Richard Hickox agreed when I briefly spoke to him when I asked him to sign my concert programme. I've been really impressed by the two recent Brabbins releases.