Vaughan Williams's Veranda

Started by karlhenning, April 12, 2007, 06:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aukhawk

That fellow looks as though he's testing a venue for acoustics.

cilgwyn

Quote from: aukhawk on April 09, 2019, 12:26:45 AM

That fellow looks as though he's testing a venue for acoustics.
;D I thought it was Jeremy Corbyn for a minute?! ??? ;D

vandermolen

Listening to the early eloquent Piano Quintet (1903-5). The composer withdrew it when he returned from the First World War but his widow Ursula lifted the ban on the performance of the work. I'm glad that she did so.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

cilgwyn

Symphony No 4 conducted by Mitropoulos! This cd arrived today & has been playing for most of the day!

Biffo

Quote from: vandermolen on April 10, 2019, 07:43:40 AM
Listening to the early eloquent Piano Quintet (1903-5). The composer withdrew it when he returned from the First World War but his widow Ursula lifted the ban on the performance of the work. I'm glad that she did so.

On the way from Chandos, mainly for the Quintet.

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on April 10, 2019, 09:30:22 AM
Symphony No 4 conducted by Mitropoulos! This cd arrived today & has been playing for most of the day!

One of the great VW CDs in my view.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Interesting review of the Thomson cycle on the Musicweb site today:
http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2019/Apr/VW_sys_CHAN9087.htm

Biffo

Quote from: vandermolen on April 11, 2019, 02:26:56 AM
Interesting review of the Thomson cycle on the Musicweb site today:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000000AQ2/musicwebuk

I can't find the review in your link - probably just me!

The complete cycle can be had from Chandos £8 cheaper than Amazon at £42.

I have been looking at the Thomson recordings individually on Chandos recently and find their pricing/availability policy baffling. I already have No 4, bought in their sale some time ago. Earlier in the year I bought No 6 as a lossless download for only a fiver - a bargain. Yesterday I bought No 2 as a bargain price CD. All the rest come in around the £10 mark though Nos 3, 4 & 7 are only available to download.

I will continue to buy them as and when they become available cheaply. This probably sounds sordidly materialistic but my funds are limited, the competition is fierce and I already have more versions of the symphonies than any sane man should own.

Christo

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

vandermolen

Yes, I've just redone the link and it works now but thanks to Christo for leaping into action.
:)

Biffo

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: vandermolen on April 10, 2019, 02:12:04 PM
One of the great VW CDs in my view.
Not often you see the NYPO perform VW in general.

vandermolen

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on April 11, 2019, 03:30:44 AM
Not often you see the NYPO perform VW in general.
This is the only other one I know. Also a fine performance of VW's music:

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Biffo on April 11, 2019, 03:14:28 AM
I can't find the review in your link - probably just me!

The complete cycle can be had from Chandos £8 cheaper than Amazon at £42.

you can find the MHS version really cheap but i don't have a link right this second.

There is one on ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bax-The-Complete-Symphonies-London-Philharmonic-Bryden-Thomson-MHS-CD-Disc/333125489681?hash=item4d8fd39411:g:uQIAAOSwMrZcky~f

vandermolen

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on April 11, 2019, 06:34:17 AM
you can find the MHS version really cheap but i don't have a link right this second.

There is one on ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bax-The-Complete-Symphonies-London-Philharmonic-Bryden-Thomson-MHS-CD-Disc/333125489681?hash=item4d8fd39411:g:uQIAAOSwMrZcky~f
That's the Anerican issue of the Bax symphonies, which I also have and enjoy.

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: vandermolen on April 11, 2019, 12:47:45 PM
That's the Anerican issue of the Bax symphonies, which I also have and enjoy.
Sorry wrong link. This is what I have:

[asin]B004N0YJQO[/asin]

vandermolen

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on April 11, 2019, 02:52:40 PM

[asin]B004N0YJQO[/asin]
Interesting - never seen that release before. Good value at $9.00 for the set!

vandermolen

Have been listening to this. In my view one of the comparatively few successful recordings of the turbulent Sixth Symphony and I enjoy the whole CD:

Biffo

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on April 11, 2019, 02:52:40 PM

[asin]B004N0YJQO[/asin]

Now I know what MHS  stands for!

cilgwyn

I've been listening to the Bryden Thomson cd's of Symphonies 4,6,7 & 9,and the fill-ups (horrible term,I know!) as they have arrived here! This is the first time I've heard any of them. I've liked all of them,so far! In fact,although I was only planning to buy the cd's of 4 & 6 (for the time being) I liked what I heard so much,I just had to hear more! I remember reading a post by Christo,describing it as the most "gorgeous sounding" (hope I got that right?!But he used similar wording) VW cycle;and I have to say,I've just got to agree!! Case in point! For the first time I can honestly say,I "enjoyed" the Concerto Accademica. I didn't exactly dislike it before. It just didn't make much impression on me! It sounds,positively,scrumptious,in this performance! And the Tuba Concerto. I loved it in the old emi recording (Barbirolli,I think?!) but it sounds fabulous in the Chandos recording! And then there are the symphonies!!! ;D I honestly,think that,this may well be my favourite VW symphony cycle?! But I haven't heard them all yet! vandermolen (with a small 'v'!) always makes me smile,when he posts here about a cd! "I can't stop playing it!" he says! Erm,well you just press the stop (or eject?) button! It's not that hard!! (I'm sure his long suffering wife would love him to do just that! Permanently!! ;D) But I was thinking of that while I was playing these recordings. His performances of the Fourth and Sixth are just great. Everything about them. Up there with the best,imho! I also loved his Ninth;and the performance of the Piano Concerto. A big surprise was his Sinfonia Antartica. I really enjoyed this performance. I think,in terms of the sound quality,it's probably up there with Haitink. If I was to pose a minor criticism;I think the organ could have sounded more cataclysmic?! (And maybe a little more humour with those penguins?) The ending though was one of the best I've heard! Mysterious and enigmatic. Implacable nature! Listening to in the quietude of the early hours of the morning (after midnight) certainly intensified the experience;but,overall,(nit picking aside! ::) ;D) I found the whole performance quite thrilling! I also enjoyed the,truly,excellent (imo) choice of fill-up (again that word!);Towards the Unknown Region. A work I hadn't heard before! The cd of the Eighth Symphony is still in the post! I can't wait to hear what Bryden Thomson,and his team,did with that one;and all those wonderful sounds in VW's orchestration. After listening to the Previn recording,recently;No 8,is fast becoming (has become!)another favourite! Oh,and the choice of Turner paintings,for this cycle,was just great! Incidentally,I noticed this series was also released on cassette! Were any of them released on Lp? I had Lp's of Thomson's Bax! (Chandos cassettes were better than average for that medium!) The Lp's would have looked great! But perhaps this cycle was too late,in the day?