Vaughan Williams's Veranda

Started by karlhenning, April 12, 2007, 06:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Briefly escaped from Christmas shopping with my wife in Brighton yesterday and happened to "find myself" in a classical CD shop  :) Discovered a VW CD of extraordinary interest amongst the new releases, as it features the composer himself conducting his Symphony 5 (Prom concert 1952) and Dona Nobis Pacem (first radio broadcast 1936). There is certainly a Pearl CD of VW conducting Dona Nobis Pacem, which may be the same performance (this one is advertised as "First authorised release)". But the discovery of VW conducting his Symphony 5 is amazing, as it was thought that his famous recording of Symphony 4, was the only one in existence of him conducting his own symphonies. At the same time I boght a copy of International Record Review (December Issue) in which Piers Burton-Page gives a rave review of the CD ("unmissable"). So, this is a release of huge historic interest, and apparently they are wonderful performances of both works, which shine through despite the age of recordings. I insisted that my wife gives this to me as a Christmas present and really look forward to hearing it.  here is a link:

http://www.mdt.co.uk/MDTSite/product/SOMM071.htm
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Montpellier

Very nice.  Look forward to your thoughts on this recording.  I've mixed feelings about composers conducting their own works and was considering his fourth.  It was a symphony I didn't like.  I remember thinking it superficial but that could have been the performance - just guessing, it was probably Boult.   I'm about ready to give it another go - not sure if VW's own version is the best start but I'm very tempted with this 5th.   So, hopefully you'll tell more after Christmas! 

vandermolen

Quote from: Anacho on December 22, 2007, 03:20:47 AM
Very nice.  Look forward to your thoughts on this recording.  I've mixed feelings about composers conducting their own works and was considering his fourth.  It was a symphony I didn't like.  I remember thinking it superficial but that could have been the performance - just guessing, it was probably Boult.   I'm about ready to give it another go - not sure if VW's own version is the best start but I'm very tempted with this 5th.   So, hopefully you'll tell more after Christmas! 

Thanks, yes, of course I'll report back after Christmas. Symphony No 4 has grown on me over the years although it is not my favourite. There's a great Mitropolous recording on Sony and an excellent one from Bernstein and Stokowski (Cala). For some reason, I really like the American conductors in this work (although Stokowski was born in the UK and was a friend ov VW at the Royal College of Music). For those in the UK don't forget about the very interesting two and a half hour TV documentary about the composer, which is being shown on New Year's Day.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

karlhenning

I first heard the Fifth back when my ears were hungry after other things, where I first listened to the Fourth when I was already attuned to Vaughan Williams's vibrational fields, as it were.  — Just to explain that it isn't an 'even comparison' — as it was, maybe it was the fourth or fifth hearing that I enjoyed the Fifth on its own terms, where I liked the Fourth first I heard it.

not edward

Quote from: karlhenning on December 22, 2007, 02:31:10 PM
I first heard the Fifth back when my ears were hungry after other things, where I first listened to the Fourth when I was already attuned to Vaughan Williams's vibrational fields, as it were.  — Just to explain that it isn't an 'even comparison' — as it was, maybe it was the fourth or fifth hearing that I enjoyed the Fifth on its own terms, where I liked the Fourth first I heard it.
I can pretty much copy that.

I found the Fourth and Sixth to be the easiest of RVW's symphonies to love--they clicked almost immediately (the Sixth I recognized as a masterpiece on first listen, the Fourth within a couple more). The Fifth I do like, but I don't think I've ever regarded it as quite on the level of its companions--that, however, probably reflects my taste in music as much as anything.

The RVW symphony that I wish got a better press is the Third, which seems often written off as "cowpat music". I took quite a while to understand it, but now find it a deeply disturbing work with some extremely angry emotions hidden behind the pastoral facade.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

karlhenning

Quote from: edward on December 22, 2007, 02:38:05 PM
The RVW symphony that I wish got a better press is the Third, which seems often written off as "cowpat music". I took quite a while to understand it, but now find it a deeply disturbing work with some extremely angry emotions hidden behind the pastoral facade.

Really a great piece.  That's one I liked right off, though I still cannot really find the right words for it.

techniquest

QuoteFor those in the UK don't forget about the very interesting two and a half hour TV documentary about the composer, which is being shown on New Year's Day.

Don't get too sloshed on New Years Eve; the docu is on at 9:00 in the morning! So if you want to record it without all those annoying ad-breaks (like I do), you'll have to be up early :)

vandermolen

Michael Kennedy, the VW expert and friend of the composer (who features in the TV documentary) regards !A Pastoral Symphony" as the greatest one. Personally No 6 and 9 are my favouriyes and No 6 one of the great masterpieces of 20th century music. it combines the violence of No 4 and spirituality of No 5 and is a true epic synthesis. ..enough of my pseudo-intellectual comments...it is still great.

My least favourite was No 1 "A Sea symphony" but after watching the documentary (in which it has a high profile), i have been changing my view and coming to see its great qualities.

Guido

Does anyone know anything about the unfinished cello concerto that he composed in his last few months of his life. I don;t think anyone has produced a completion or if a completion is even possible. I don't know who it was composed for either. I'm not talking about the Fantastia on Sussex Folk tunes composed for Casals in the early 30s - (which he planned to expand into a full cocnerto but didn't. One of his least interesting works I think).
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

vandermolen

Quote from: Guido on December 23, 2007, 07:51:19 AM
Does anyone know anything about the unfinished cello concerto that he composed in his last few months of his life. I don;t think anyone has produced a completion or if a completion is even possible. I don't know who it was composed for either. I'm not talking about the Fantastia on Sussex Folk tunes composed for Casals in the early 30s - (which he planned to expand into a full cocnerto but didn't. One of his least interesting works I think).

I rather like that work (Fantasia on Sussex Folk Tunes) but maybe that's just because I live in Sussex! Have seen a photo of some of the sketches of the Cello Concerto but nothing more.

Dundonnell

Difficult to pick a favourite VW symphony! The Pastoral, 4th, 5th, 6th and 9th are all masterpieces in their different ways and I love them all.
However, I have tremendous affection also for the London Symphony which, in the context of its time of composition, seems to me to be a fantastic achievement. It is so immensely redolent of the passing of an age-the time of Victorian/Edwardian self-confidence and security. The last movement I find almost unbearably moving.

I also have a lot of time for the less well-regarded(by some) Sinfonia Antarctica(No.7). Polar exploration-and particularly the final Scott Expedition to the South Pole-has always interested me. The tragic futility of that journey barely redeemed by the heroism of the dying participants is captured with such eerie pognancy in the symphony that it has always moved me to tears. It may not-strictly speaking-be a symphony at all but who really cares!

(Incidentally, VW as conductor has brought on an idea for another thread!)

Montpellier

I've always been happy with the 7th.  It's origins never put me off and I'd guess a lowering of regard, if true, concerns its programme.  Still, Beethoven did one like that and no one complains too much.   

My single aggro is that a score isn't available (so, please, if any members know of a source of the score, let me know.  Thanks).  The orchestration, the voice(s) and application of the organ convince me.  The instrumentation of the opening could not be better.   Perhaps if he hadn't included the wind machine critics may have responded differently.  They do dislike people threatening their roles as windbags. ;)

Perhaps I'm just not listening to it with the word "symphony" blazing in my mind.     

karlhenning

I have no problems with the Sinfonia antartica.

Dundonnell

Quote from: karlhenning on December 24, 2007, 04:42:42 AM
I have no problems with the Sinfonia antartica.

Oh yes, I forgot that there was the spelling issue!!

karlhenning

That's the joy of English;  if you can't think of at least two ways to spell something, you're not sufficiently creative  8)

Montpellier

Except that Sinfonia Antartica is Italian. 

karlhenning

No matter, an English speaker does not withhold his spelling creativity from any land or tongue.

vandermolen

Quote from: Dundonnell on December 24, 2007, 03:44:32 AM
Difficult to pick a favourite VW symphony! The Pastoral, 4th, 5th, 6th and 9th are all masterpieces in their different ways and I love them all.
However, I have tremendous affection also for the London Symphony which, in the context of its time of composition, seems to me to be a fantastic achievement. It is so immensely redolent of the passing of an age-the time of Victorian/Edwardian self-confidence and security. The last movement I find almost unbearably moving.

I also have a lot of time for the less well-regarded(by some) Sinfonia Antarctica(No.7). Polar exploration-and particularly the final Scott Expedition to the South Pole-has always interested me. The tragic futility of that journey barely redeemed by the heroism of the dying participants is captured with such eerie pognancy in the symphony that it has always moved me to tears. It may not-strictly speaking-be a symphony at all but who really cares!

(Incidentally, VW as conductor has brought on an idea for another thread!)

I also have a grim fascination with  British polar disasters and have read many books on the Scott expedition, as a result I like the Antartica Symphony and must agree with you too about A London Symphony and its finale (especially in the restored section, towards the end that Vaughan Williams (mistakenly in my view) excised later on. Heartbreakingly beautiful.

J.Z. Herrenberg

I'm coming a bit late to this thread, but a mighty interesting read it is!

My RVW favourites - Symphonies 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 9, - Flos Campi - A Serenade to Music - Job - the Piano Concerto - The Lark Ascending - Tallis Fantasia.

I like the Second for its almost jazzy city atmosphere, which predates Gershwin (American in Paris), the enchanting slow movement and the catastrophic Finale (the original version is indeed even stronger here). The Third is an all-out masterpiece, RVW's 'War Requiem' as my good friend Christo says. The Fourth is wonderful for its dark-and-light, its alternation of grimness and vision. The Sixth is the second all-out masterpiece. The Eighth entrances with its sound-world where an almost childlike playfulness sits next to wise and weary introspection. The Ninth is a nobly-cryptic conclusion.

It's a pity I can't see the documentary here in the Netherlands...
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Thom

My copy of 'O Thou Transcendent', the film by Tony Palmer about life and works of Ralph Vaughan Williams, arrived om the 24th. An impressive documentary which I can heartily recommend to the RVW fans (it will be broadcasted on Channel Five on new years day so I gather but no chance to see that channel in the Netherlands). Touching to see the man himself on film.