Vaughan Williams's Veranda

Started by karlhenning, April 12, 2007, 06:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

calyptorhynchus

Not sure about the Manze 9th. Normally I am a sucker for slower tempi, but here it makes the whole symphony seem plodding. I think Thompson is still on the right track.
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

Irons

No good to me as I wouldn't know where to start but may be of interest to more clued up forum members. CRQ Editions have issued as a download only Pierre Monteux conducting the LSO in Vaughan Williams "London" Symphony. A BBC live recording from the RFH on 24th September 1962. The tape was derived from the collection of the late film director Ken Russell.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on June 29, 2019, 12:47:58 AM
No good to me as I wouldn't know where to start but may be of interest to more clued up forum members. CRQ Editions have issued as a download only Pierre Monteux conducting the LSO in Vaughan Williams "London" Symphony. A BBC live recording from the RFH on 24th September 1962. The tape was derived from the collection of the late film director Ken Russell.

That's interesting. Pristine Audio issued an interesting CD of the 1958 premiere of Symphony 9 (Sargent - not as bad as everyone says IMO) coupled with a wartime recording of A London Symphony condected by Mitropolous - complete with 'chimes of Big Ben' making an extraneous reappearance at the very end of the symphony!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on June 29, 2019, 01:03:47 AM
That's interesting. Pristine Audio issued an interesting CD of the 1958 premiere of Symphony 9 (Sargent - not as bad as everyone says IMO) coupled with a wartime recording of A London Symphony condected by Mitropolous - complete with 'chimes of Big Ben' making an extraneous reappearance at the very end of the symphony!

The world and it's dog take delight at a well aimed kick at poor old Sargent. I buy his recordings out of sympathy.

I have come across a commercial RVW recording by Mitropolous - think it may be the 4th, but not sure - have you heard it Jeffrey?
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

aukhawk

Mitropolous/NYPO released Tallis Fantasia coupled with Schoenberg Verklarte Nacht in July 1958 - one of the very earliest stereo classical LPs (Columbia label).  I listened to the Schoenberg only the other day and it sounds very fine.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on June 29, 2019, 11:32:05 PM
The world and it's dog take delight at a well aimed kick at poor old Sargent. I buy his recordings out of sympathy.

I have come across a commercial RVW recording by Mitropolous - think it may be the 4th, but not sure - have you heard it Jeffrey?
Yes, sure Lol. Here it is (with the Tallis Fantasia):
I think it's an excellent recording and prefer it to the composer's own version. VW apparently thought highly of the Mitropolous performance as well.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on June 30, 2019, 01:26:12 AM
Yes, sure Lol. Here it is (with the Tallis Fantasia):
I think it's an excellent recording and prefer it to the composer's own version. VW apparently thought highly of the Mitropolous performance as well.

Thanks Jeffrey. I will invest.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on June 30, 2019, 04:45:32 AM
Thanks Jeffrey. I will invest.
I like the Stokowski Symphony 6 (premiere recording) as well. Here it is again with the more recent cover:

Biffo

Quote from: Irons on June 29, 2019, 11:32:05 PM

Yesterday I played the pristine Audio recording of the 9th and found it fine.

RVW heard the premiere but I can't find any comment on his part, good or bad. The sources I consulted, principally Michael Kennedy, concentrate on the critical response to the work and I couldn't find any mention made of Sargent's contribution.

Another recent posting suggested RVW didn't feature greatly in Sargent's repertoire. Apparently, Sargent was 'half-promised' the premiere of the 4th Symphony but it went to Boult instead; perhaps frostiness ensued.

I am intrigued by RVW's suggestion to Boult that he could conduct the Finale slower if he found the ending came too slowly. Was he pulling Boult's leg? I suppose without more context we will never know.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: vandermolen on June 30, 2019, 07:36:49 AM
I like the Stokowski Symphony 6 (premiere recording) as well. Here it is again with the more recent cover:

I listened to this version of No.6 yesterday - proves what a tricky piece this is - especially when first encountered.  The NYPO playing is pretty ropey - very scrappy string playing in the scherzo.  Perhaps the orchestra was still suffering from the aftermath of the War?  From memory the Boult recording which also uses the original/unrevised version of the scherzo is better played.

Biffo

Quote from: Roasted Swan on July 02, 2019, 02:19:00 AM
I listened to this version of No.6 yesterday - proves what a tricky piece this is - especially when first encountered.  The NYPO playing is pretty ropey - very scrappy string playing in the scherzo.  Perhaps the orchestra was still suffering from the aftermath of the War?  From memory the Boult recording which also uses the original/unrevised version of the scherzo is better played.

Boult's 1949/50 version of No 6 is my favourite, no problems with the playing of the LSO that I recall - the Dutton release has both versions of the Scherzo

Irons

Quote from: Biffo on July 02, 2019, 02:38:33 AM
Boult's 1949/50 version of No 6 is my favourite, no problems with the playing of the LSO that I recall - the Dutton release has both versions of the Scherzo

You are not the first to say that. HMV Treasury on LP also included both versions of the Scherzo. Not my favourite work by RVW but also included the best version of "The Lark Ascending" I have heard, played by Jean Pougnet.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on July 02, 2019, 06:39:21 AM
You are not the first to say that. HMV Treasury on LP also included both versions of the Scherzo. Not my favourite work by RVW but also included the best version of "The Lark Ascending" I have heard, played by Jean Pougnet.

Yes, that and the Hugh Bean recording are my favourite versions of The Lark Ascending. Turning on the car radio earlier today I heard a very engaging piece sounding rather like VW but I couldn't place it. In my head I was guessing whether it was by Grace Williams. It turned out to be VW's 'Bluebird' which I own on CD.  ::)

This is my favourite version of Symphony 6 and probably the most influential recording that I bought in relation to the effect that it had on my 17 year old self:

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on July 02, 2019, 01:58:41 PM
Yes, that and the Hugh Bean recording are my favourite versions of The Lark Ascending. Turning on the car radio earlier today I heard a very engaging piece sounding rather like VW but I couldn't place it. In my head I was guessing whether it was by Grace Williams. It turned out to be VW's 'Bluebird' which I own on CD.  ::)

This is my favourite version of Symphony 6 and probably the most influential recording that I bought in relation to the effect that it had on my 17 year old self:

I have not heard of "Bluebird". Must investigate.

I agree with you Jeffrey on the best version of the 6th although the stereo EMI is no slouch by any means. I am surprised to discover that the Decca recorded in December 1953 and the mono EMI only four years previously in 1949. I view the EMI (Douglas Larter, balance engineer) as a historical recording where as the former (Kenneth Wilkinson) holds its own and surpasses many for sound when compared with modern recordings.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Irons on July 02, 2019, 11:52:54 PM
I have not heard of "Bluebird". Must investigate.

Check BBC iplayer - Radio 3 - the BBC Concert Orchestra/Martin Yates English Music Festival - still available for roughly 4 weeks - includes both the premiere live performance of the Bluebird and Robin Milford's 2nd Symphony......

Irons

Quote from: Roasted Swan on July 03, 2019, 01:18:19 PM
Check BBC iplayer - Radio 3 - the BBC Concert Orchestra/Martin Yates English Music Festival - still available for roughly 4 weeks - includes both the premiere live performance of the Bluebird and Robin Milford's 2nd Symphony......

Thanks, I will do that.

Talking of obscure RVW I am most impressed with "The Lakes in the Mountains". A piece for solo piano (a rarity in itself) from a excellent disc of chamber music by The Nash Ensemble on Hyperion.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on July 03, 2019, 11:21:50 PM
Thanks, I will do that.

Talking of obscure RVW I am most impressed with "The Lakes in the Mountains". A piece for solo piano (a rarity in itself) from a excellent disc of chamber music by The Nash Ensemble on Hyperion.

Me too Lol. I think that it originated in a film score. I like that Hyperion CD very much.

calyptorhynchus

Although the music for the Blue Bird is described as a premiere performance, it has already been released on Dutton.
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

vandermolen

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on July 04, 2019, 07:36:54 PM
Although the music for the Blue Bird is described as a premiere performance, it has already been released on Dutton.
I thought that the Dutton was the only recording. Is there another one?

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on July 04, 2019, 09:58:18 PM
I thought that the Dutton was the only recording. Is there another one?
I guess the BBC is claiming that this is the 'public premiere'; the Dutton CD has a studio performance from Glasgow, August 2017, with the Royal Scots under the same conductor. I played it often, over the last months:   
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948