Vaughan Williams's Veranda

Started by karlhenning, April 12, 2007, 06:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

btpaul674

I second the  ;D as originally posted by Greg. I can't read one of Syd's posts without thinking of golum or smeagol or whatever his name is.

Montpellier

We think the thikth thymphony ith thikty-thikth perthent thucthethful.

Itth the firtht that putths uth to thleep.

sound67

Quote from: Sydney Grew on December 28, 2007, 02:44:15 AMWe can no doubt tell the group all kinds of new things about it!

Kindly keep your "observations" to yourself.
"Vivaldi didn't compose 500 concertos. He composed the same concerto 500 times" - Igor Stravinsky

"Mozart is a menace to musical progress, a relic of rituals that were losing relevance in his own time and are meaningless to ours." - Norman Lebrecht

greg

longears

Quote from: Sydney Grew on December 28, 2007, 02:44:15 AM
We can no doubt tell the group all kinds of new things about it!

Promises, promises....   ::)

Pierre

Quote from: Sydney Grew on December 28, 2007, 02:44:15 AM
Juvenile? That must be a recommendation rather than anything else must it not. And perhaps the member might care just to cast an eye upon the appended pages, wherein he will note the appearance of the phrase "Dr. Williams" not once, but two times! Evidently the may we say overconfident Member has not previously encountered the expression . . .

As far as understanding the music is concerned, we who have so many hours of study behind us do despite what the Member says manage to accomplish that quite well too thank you. We can no doubt tell the group all kinds of new things about it!

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to prove by scanning pages from a book by one Sydney Grew,  published by T.N. Foulis Ltd (Edinburgh and London) 'in October Nineteen hundred and twenty-two' (so the copyright page says in my copy, bought at some second hand bookshop or other as no doubt yours was). You're almost certainly a troll, but clearly one more amusing than annoying.  ;)

karlhenning

Quote from: Pierre on January 01, 2008, 11:41:49 AM
. . . but clearly one more amusing than annoying.  ;)

Oh, verily, yea!  8)

greg

Maybe he's Eric 2.0? Like an Eric that has transformed?

vandermolen

Sorry to interrupt the cheery banter but did anyone see the TV documentary on New Year's Day? (UK)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Thom

I bought myself the DVD Jeffrey, since Channel 5 is not on my cable. I was not dissapointed, it is a remarkable documentary. Amazing (and admirable) that the TV people are willing to broadcast this film of more than 2 hours length for - probably - a limited audience.

Thom

vandermolen

Quote from: Thom on January 02, 2008, 02:42:49 AM
I bought myself the DVD Jeffrey, since Channel 5 is not on my cable. I was not dissapointed, it is a remarkable documentary. Amazing (and admirable) that the TV people are willing to broadcast this film of more than 2 hours length for - probably - a limited audience.

Thom

I agree Thom. I wonder if the BBC (who rejected the documentary) will do their own tribute in due course. Classic FM featured Vaughan Williams yesterday but, much as I love the work, I do not want to hear "The Lark Ascending" over and over again!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Hector

Quote from: vandermolen on January 02, 2008, 02:07:45 AM
Sorry to interrupt the cheery banter but did anyone see the TV documentary on New Year's Day? (UK)

Half of it.

What a ridiculous time to have it on? Channel 5, though.

It should be repeated once a day for at least a week so that anyone who wants can record it!

Dundonnell

I put a video into my machine and began taping at 9.00am only to find that the tape I had inserted was in fact a pre-recorded film.
Fortunately for the film it was not erased but the VW programme was of course not taped either!
(Blames New Year's celebrations the night before!)

I did not watch the film since I was trying to catch up on lost sleep. Calamity all round!!

Never mind...will just have to buy the DVD now.

vandermolen

Quote from: Dundonnell on January 02, 2008, 07:36:29 AM
I put a video into my machine and began taping at 9.00am only to find that the tape I had inserted was in fact a pre-recorded film.
Fortunately for the film it was not erased but the VW programme was of course not taped either!
(Blames New Year's celebrations the night before!)

I did not watch the film since I was trying to catch up on lost sleep. Calamity all round!!

Never mind...will just have to buy the DVD now.

:)

drogulus

I think the saxophones in the 6th (and the 9th) are wonderful. They also have a leading role in Job. Perhaps RVW intended the profane associations produced in the listeners mind. He must have had his reasons. Anyway, they sound great.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

rw1883

I'm starting my Vaughan Williams journey this week beginning with the symphonies.  I'm already familiar with symphonies 1, 2, & 5; the Lark Ascending, Thomas Tallis, Job, and a few other pieces. 

Following the advice of a few members from this thread I bought complete symphonies by Boult (EMI & Decca), Haitink, Previn, and Handley.  I'm probably in the minority, but I have to say that "A Sea Symphony" is a great beginning to VW's cycle!  I'm listening to the Haitink and it's amazing (not that I don't like the Boult from both sets).  The more I listen to this symphony, the more I appreciate and love it (and I still haven't heard the Previn and Handley).  Any other suggestions on #1?  I've read good things about Spano.

I have a bad habit of re-listening to performances/interpretations so this venture might take awhile...thanks again for the many suggestions.

Paul

karlhenning

Quote from: rw1883 on January 18, 2008, 08:15:25 AM
I have a bad habit of re-listening to performances/interpretations

Why is that a bad habit, Paul:)

vandermolen

Quote from: rw1883 on January 18, 2008, 08:15:25 AM
I'm starting my Vaughan Williams journey this week beginning with the symphonies.  I'm already familiar with symphonies 1, 2, & 5; the Lark Ascending, Thomas Tallis, Job, and a few other pieces. 

Following the advice of a few members from this thread I bought complete symphonies by Boult (EMI & Decca), Haitink, Previn, and Handley.  I'm probably in the minority, but I have to say that "A Sea Symphony" is a great beginning to VW's cycle!  I'm listening to the Haitink and it's amazing (not that I don't like the Boult from both sets).  The more I listen to this symphony, the more I appreciate and love it (and I still haven't heard the Previn and Handley).  Any other suggestions on #1?  I've read good things about Spano.

I have a bad habit of re-listening to performances/interpretations so this venture might take awhile...thanks again for the many suggestions.

Paul

I like the Handley Sea Symphony and the Naxos recording.

drogulus

Quote from: vandermolen on January 18, 2008, 08:35:36 AM
I like the Handley Sea Symphony and the Naxos recording.

Both are very good, with a slight edge to Handley, IMO. The Boult/EMI would get a higher rating with me if there wasn't a problem with the recorded sound of the baritone. There's a megaphone quality to it. Otherwise I think it would be ranked with the best.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0