Vaughan Williams's Veranda

Started by karlhenning, April 12, 2007, 06:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 12, 2020, 03:58:54 AM
Wow!  What a great job Jeffrey! Now that you're semi-retired, have you spent any time pursuing your obvious artistic talents?

PD

Thank you PD. In answer to your question, not as much as I would like to. I'm kept fairly busy with my teaching and counselling work, as well as with the onerous domestic chores, not to mention reading the newspaper, playing with the cat and listening to my CDs  ;D
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on November 12, 2020, 10:13:54 AM
Thank you PD. In answer to your question, not as much as I would like to. I'm kept fairly busy with my teaching and counselling work, as well as with the onerous domestic chores, not to mention reading the newspaper, playing with the cat and listening to my CDs  ;D
You've the order a bit off there Jeffrey.  :D
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 12, 2020, 10:37:21 AM
You've the order a bit off there Jeffrey.  :D

Yes, that's quite true PD! He is the boss in this family!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on November 12, 2020, 10:41:40 AM
Yes, that's quite true PD! He is the boss in this family!
Does this happen often?

Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 12, 2020, 10:47:57 AM
Does this happen often?

Lovely cartoon.

Yes, and he contributes lines like 'xzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx' when I'm trying to type a document and he stands right on the keyboard. I once had a cat who jumped on my turntable and went whizzing round with the LP.

vandermolen

I'm feeling a bit guilty about (sort-of) derailing this thread to talk about myself (not that this has ever been a great problem for me  8)) so, I thought that I'd just like to say how much I am looking forward to receiving these two discs, from my nearest and dearest, for Christmas:

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on November 12, 2020, 11:38:23 AM
I'm feeling a bit guilty about (sort-of) derailing this thread to talk about myself (not that this has ever been a great problem for me  8)) so, I thought that I'd just like to say how much I am looking forward to receiving these two discs, from my nearest and dearest, for Christmas:
Not to worry...from my end anyway.   :)

Speaking of Vaughan Williams and CDs, here's a thought:  1) add up about how much you spend say every three months on CDs and/or vinyl, 2) set aside half to two-thirds of that, and I expect you could could make a deposit on that Vaughan Williams bust in way less time than you would think!  ;)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 08, 2020, 01:12:45 PM
Ah, so I'll have to wait until Christmas to get your opinion of it. Damn, that's just not fair! ;D

You've a tough row to hoe, friend 8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Iota

Quote from: vandermolen on November 11, 2020, 09:13:57 AM
I found it still in its original clay in the attic (I remember that my Art teacher painted it with hardener). However, it would have fallen to bits sooner or later as it is not far off 50 years old. So, when I retired from full-time teaching in 2015 for once in my life I had a bit of money from the Teacher's Pension so, I found someone who could cast it in 'cold-cast bronze' (like fibre-glass) and now it is in the living room - a gift from my 17 year old self  :)

Wow, very impressive, vandermolen, bravo!

To me, the David McFall bust gives him the appearance of some august Roman emperor. I'm not sure I ever quite envision him like that.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 12, 2020, 11:51:15 AM

Speaking of Vaughan Williams and CDs, here's a thought:  1) add up about how much you spend say every three months on CDs and/or vinyl, 2) set aside half to two-thirds of that, and I expect you could could make a deposit on that Vaughan Williams bust in way less time than you would think!  ;)

PD
And, I should add as it might have been confusing--which I didn't mean it to be, multiply that by four and save that amount....or, if you spend more during certain times of the year, then go by that figure.
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

PD

Depressingly, you're probably right PD.

vandermolen

Quote from: Iota on November 12, 2020, 01:33:36 PM
Wow, very impressive, vandermolen, bravo!

To me, the David McFall bust gives him the appearance of some august Roman emperor. I'm not sure I ever quite envision him like that.

Thank you! Michael Kennedy, VW's friend and biographer thought is a good likeness (unlike the Epstein which he thought told us nothing about the composer). I agree that the McFall bust is far superior. I'll try to find some images.

OK - images of VW busts by McFall (top two) and Epstein and VW with Epstein. VW and Epstein got on well and VW invited Epstein to see him conduct Bach's 'St Matthew Passion'. In Epstein's biography there is a nice account of his sessions with VW. Two great artists although, much as I like Epstein's work I don't think much of his head of Vaughan Williams:

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on November 13, 2020, 10:07:32 AM
Thank you! Michael Kennedy, VW's friend and biographer thought is a good likeness (unlike the Epstein which he thought told us nothing about the composer). I agree that the McFall bust is far superior. I'll try to find some images.

OK - images of VW busts by McFall (top two) and Epstein and VW with Epstein. VW and Epstein got on well and VW invited Epstein to see him conduct Bach's 'St Matthew Passion'. In Epstein's biography there is a nice account of his sessions with VW. Two great artists although, much as I like Epstein's work I don't think much of his head of Vaughan Williams:
One of these two would make a fine statue:

PD

EDIT:  I had typed some comments earlier but missed copying them when I was having trouble posting earlier.  Like you, Jeffrey, and Iota, the Epstein one (to me anyway) doesn't look much like VW.  The only thing that I have mixed feelings about re the McFall ones, is that Vaughan Williams is looking down (which makes sense as at the time he was busy composing).
Pohjolas Daughter

Iota

Quote from: vandermolen on November 13, 2020, 10:07:32 AM

Ah thanks, yes those McFall busts are indeed striking. VW seems particularly 'present' in the top one in that photo, to my eyes anyway.

I completely agree about the Epstein, I'd never have recognised VW from it without the context. And it doesn't even seem to highlight or abstract some aspect of him, it just seems like an entirely different person.

Irons

His mouth is a recognisable feature of RVW. Get that right and you are nearly there.

I think - and I'm not kidding! The statue below has the "mouth" as does McFall. Epstein misses it.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

aukhawk

Or at least you could afford some special-de-luxe cat food.    Prrrr?

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on November 14, 2020, 12:47:30 AM
His mouth is a recognisable feature of RVW. Get that right and you are nearly there.

I think - and I'm not kidding! The statue below has the "mouth" as does McFall. Epstein misses it.
Irons,

You know, no kidding but I was thinking the exact same thing regarding his mouth!  ;D

Quote from: aukhawk on November 14, 2020, 02:44:56 AM
Or at least you could afford some special-de-luxe cat food.    Prrrr?
Careful Aukhawk, or Jeffrey will start glaring at his cat and threaten to give him away!  ;)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 13, 2020, 11:03:27 AM
One of these two would make a fine statue:

PD

EDIT:  I had typed some comments earlier but missed copying them when I was having trouble posting earlier.  Like you, Jeffrey, and Iota, the Epstein one (to me anyway) doesn't look much like VW.  The only thing that I have mixed feelings about re the McFall ones, is that Vaughan Williams is looking down (which makes sense as at the time he was busy composing).
Yes, VW with Foxy would make a great sculpture. Foxy was apparently his favourite cat and he does indeed look like a fox.