Vaughan Williams's Veranda

Started by karlhenning, April 12, 2007, 06:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Daverz on November 17, 2020, 02:11:45 PM
I'm not for defacing property, but the Churchill hagiography industry has had way too long of a run without pushback.

Yes, although I'm an admirer (for his wartime leadership and warnings about Hitler, I hasten to add) we need a balanced view. I taught a whole A Level course on Churchill in my last school and we looked at all aspects of his life and career, so I like to think that my students ended up with a balanced view. Back on subject there is a photo of the elderly VW being awarded an Honorary doctorate by Churchill at the University of Bristol.

I couldn't find the photo online but here is an account from Bristol University's Archive:
https://archives.bristol.ac.uk/Record.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog&id=DM270
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on November 17, 2020, 11:15:49 PM
Yes, although I'm an admirer (for his wartime leadership and warnings about Hitler, I hasten to add) we need a balanced view. I taught a whole A Level course on Churchill in my last school and we looked at all aspects of his life and career, so I like to think that my students ended up with a balanced view. Back on subject there is a photo of the elderly VW being awarded an Honorary doctorate by Churchill at the University of Bristol.

I couldn't find the photo online but here is an account from Bristol University's Archive:

That was some event, Jeffrey. Sir Stafford Cripps was also in attendance I noted.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on November 17, 2020, 11:59:59 PM
That was some event, Jeffrey. Sir Stafford Cripps was also in attendance I noted.
Oh, I hadn't noticed that Lol. Yes indeed!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on November 17, 2020, 11:15:49 PM

Yeah, Jeffrey!  :)

Alas, I can't see the photos in your link.  Is there something else that I need to click on?  I think that I saw an error message too when I tried viewing them.   :(

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 18, 2020, 04:52:36 AM
Yeah, Jeffrey!  :)

Alas, I can't see the photos in your link.  Is there something else that I need to click on?  I think that I saw an error message too when I tried viewing them.   :(

PD

Hi PD there were no photos on the link, just a  short extract about the degree ceremony in Bristol in 1951.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on November 18, 2020, 09:05:56 AM
Hi PD there were no photos on the link, just a  short extract about the degree ceremony in Bristol in 1951.
Thanks, that's what I get for not reading carefully enough!  ::)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

From WAYLTN thread:
Yesterday I listened to the Pearl CD of Vaughan Williams conducting his own 'Dona Nobis Pacem'. It was the first broadcast from 1936 and I found it deeply moving, more-so than the more modern recordings, good as they are. It's a pity that VW did not record more of his own music. Of the major works there is only DNP and symphonies 4 and 5. I have been fortunate to see this work live on at least two occasions, most recently at the 2018 Proms at a concert to commemorate the 100th Anniversary of the end of World War One:

Biffo

Albion Records have a project to record all of RVW's English folk song arrangements in four albums. I received Volume 1 yesterday.

I wasn't sure what to expect but was pleasantly surprised by Folk Songs from Sussex (1912). They don't really sound like folk songs and it made me wonder how much 'arranging' had been done. They brought to mind Mahler's Wunderhorn songs in their sophistication, not that RVW would thank me for that. 

Six English Folk Songs (1933) and Sea Songs (1919) were more like I expected and a lot folkier.

I have a disc from EMI - Robert Tear and others  - which I will have to revisit. As well as English songs and carols it contains French songs and songs from Newfoundland.

vandermolen

Quote from: Biffo on November 22, 2020, 04:49:16 AM
Albion Records have a project to record all of RVW's English folk song arrangements in four albums. I received Volume 1 yesterday.

I wasn't sure what to expect but was pleasantly surprised by Folk Songs from Sussex (1912). They don't really sound like folk songs and it made me wonder how much 'arranging' had been done. They brought to mind Mahler's Wunderhorn songs in their sophistication, not that RVW would thank me for that. 

Six English Folk Songs (1933) and Sea Songs (1919) were more like I expected and a lot folkier.

I have a disc from EMI - Robert Tear and others  - which I will have to revisit. As well as English songs and carols it contains French songs and songs from Newfoundland.

You might like the Fantasia on Folk Songs from Sussex on this unusual and interesting CD. Obviously the Sussex Folk Songs have a special appeal to me as a resident of Sussex. As does the London Symphony, for someone who grew up in Central London. Sadly I have never been to the Antarctic  ;D

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on November 22, 2020, 07:11:03 AM
You might like the Fantasia on Folk Songs from Sussex on this unusual and interesting CD. Obviously the Sussex Folk Songs have a special appeal to me as a resident of Sussex. As does the London Symphony, for someone who grew up in Central London. Sadly I have never been to the Antarctic  ;D

You can--maybe not right now, but....https://www.adventure-life.com/antarctica

;D
Pohjolas Daughter

Biffo

Quote from: vandermolen on November 22, 2020, 07:11:03 AM

Thanks, that is an unusual collection. I have some of the pieces on it but not the 'Sussex' fantasia though it rings a bell. Will have to check out the disc.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Biffo on November 22, 2020, 08:25:56 AM
Thanks, that is an unusual collection. I have some of the pieces on it but not the 'Sussex' fantasia though it rings a bell. Will have to check out the disc.

This collection of "Modern Times" recordings is uniformly excellent with the RVW disc no exception!

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 22, 2020, 08:20:07 AM
You can--maybe not right now, but....https://www.adventure-life.com/antarctica

;D

Lovely idea but probably too expensive and wife likes hot climates ( >:D ::))
However, I'd love to see the Northern Lights in Iceland one day/

vandermolen

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on November 11, 2020, 12:58:10 AM
David Hurwitz' new take on Job on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eintcAt6kUQ&feature=share&fbclid=IwAR3hb1hgnE0EFX2VJc5ULh-HoISisVU9sMAuMrlCuqYKvYi7HDLhBfENpXA

Just watched it (and the Madetoja one) with much pleasure - thanks for posting it. I'm glad that he thinks highly of the Barry Wordsworth recording on Alto.

vandermolen

Just received this - very cheaply and second-hand.
It is a most beautiful concert:
Songs
On Wenlock Edge
5 Mystical Songs
Dirge for Fidele

Ideal late-night listening with a glass of (red) wine.
There is something even more moving and intimate about the chamber music versions of these works - beautifully performed.

Jo498

Note that this recording has been re-issued by Naxos (as have some or all of that English song series). The cover is not as nice but it is probably more easily available and I am not sure if old Collins disc might sometimes have a bronzing problem. Except for this minor caveat, I'd also recommend it. It would probably be my third favorite "romantic/modern" English song disc after Terfel's "Vagabond" anthology and some recording of Britten's Serenade. (For "all time" I'd have to smuggle at least two Elizabethan Lute song anthologies in.)
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

vandermolen

Quote from: Jo498 on December 11, 2020, 12:11:34 PM
Note that this recording has been re-issued by Naxos (as have some or all of that English song series). The cover is not as nice but it is probably more easily available and I am not sure if old Collins disc might sometimes have a bronzing problem. Except for this minor caveat, I'd also recommend it. It would probably be my third favorite "romantic/modern" English song disc after Terfel's "Vagabond" anthology and some recording of Britten's Serenade. (For "all time" I'd have to smuggle at least two Elizabethan Lute song anthologies in.)
Thanks for the information. I just picked the same info up from my colleague at Alto, who mentioned the Naxos connection when I suggested the VW CD as a possible future Alto release. So far, no problems with the Collins recording!

Mirror Image

Here's an interesting video for you, Jeffrey:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDIaepn3758

Fair disclosure: You're going to be shaking your head 'no' throughout much of this video. ;)

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 18, 2020, 06:26:45 PM
Here's an interesting video for you, Jeffrey:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDIaepn3758

Fair disclosure: You're going to be shaking your head 'no' throughout much of this video. ;)

No video shows up John. 'Adobe Flash Player is Blocked'.

I remember the nice Bruckner picture from Hans-Hubert Schoenzeler's excellent short biography of the composer. Schoenzeler also conducted some Rubbra recordings.