Vaughan Williams's Veranda

Started by karlhenning, April 12, 2007, 06:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Biffo on March 23, 2021, 08:22:21 AM
Not heresy just personal choice. Barbirolli recorded the work twice and I marginally prefer the earlier one even though it is in mono. My favourite (tied for first place with Boult/LPO (1971). My most recent listening to the Barbirollis was of the remastered CDs in the Warner Barbirolli box.
I agree with Biffo - just a matter of personal choice. I actually prefer Barbirolli's later recording (also for the Oskar Kokoschka painting!) to the earlier version. Boult's later EMI recording was the one that I grew up with and nowadays Previn's RCA recording is my favourite of the 1936 version, although I usually listen to the 1920 or 1913 version, which I prefer. If I listen to the 1936 version I am acutely aware of the section which VW excised (mistakenly IMO - but let's not go there) just before the Epilogue.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

These are both IMO strong performances. I prefer Previn and Thomson in No.8 but No.9 can stand amongst the finest performances on disc. This was a nicely presented series featuring photos of VW at the age he was at the time of the compositions and including notes from his wife Ursula VW:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Papy Oli

Presto showed up in my twitter feed with a new 4th & 6th by Pappano/LSO. They have the 4th mvt of the 4th here for those interested. Out 16/04.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiGSaj3NFHc
Olivier

Roasted Swan

Quote from: vandermolen on March 30, 2021, 03:17:04 AM
These are both IMO strong performances. I prefer Previn and Thomson in No.8 but No.9 can stand amongst the finest performances on disc. This was a nicely presented series featuring photos of VW at the age he was at the time of the compositions and including notes from his wife Ursula VW:

I agree - the Slatkin No.9 is one of the highlights of his cycle.  Another one of these sets that can now be bought very cheaply (with no liner notes original sleeves etc) in a Sony bargain box;

vandermolen

Quote from: Papy Oli on March 30, 2021, 03:24:08 AM
Presto showed up in my twitter feed with a new 4th & 6th by Pappano/LSO. They have the 4th mvt of the 4th here for those interested. Out 16/04.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiGSaj3NFHc
I've pre-ordered that one Olivier.

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on March 30, 2021, 04:10:32 AM
I agree - the Slatkin No.9 is one of the highlights of his cycle.  Another one of these sets that can now be bought very cheaply (with no liner notes original sleeves etc) in a Sony bargain box;

yes, I have that set too but much prefer the presentation of the original releases. IMO it's a shame that none of those RCA super-cheap sets contain any notes. It's like buying a hard-copy of a download.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on March 30, 2021, 03:17:04 AM

Thanks for telling us about it Jeffrey; I'll keep my eyes out.  That boxed set Olivier looks tempting, but I hate it when they leave out the liner notes.  >:D  >:( :(

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Brahmsian

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 30, 2021, 04:20:29 AM
Thanks for telling us about it Jeffrey; I'll keep my eyes out.  That boxed set Olivier looks tempting, but I hate it when they leave out the liner notes.  >:D  >:( :(

PD

Yes, those Sony boxes are really great because of their incredible affordability (I have a few of them), but the lack of liner notes is unfortunate.  I have ordered the Charles Gerhardt movie soundtrack Sony box just because it was such a great deal, but yes, no liner notes.

Brahmsian

Quote from: vandermolen on March 30, 2021, 04:15:07 AM
I've pre-ordered that one Olivier.

I need another cup of coffee this morning.  I read this as:  "I've pre-ordered this for you, Olivier".  I thought to myself.....how generous and kind of Jeffrey.  :D

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: OrchestralNut on March 30, 2021, 04:39:14 AM
I need another cup of coffee this morning.  I read this as:  "I've pre-ordered this for you, Olivier".  I thought to myself.....how generous and kind of Jeffrey.  :D
:laugh:  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Papy Oli

That Slatkin is a biiiiiiiiig box  :laugh:

I am merely one of many re-routing/holding options that Jeffrey uses for his CD orders when the Lady of the House comments sarcastically about his obsessive and repeated RVW orders  :blank:

(not really... but... you know.. if need be  ;D )
Olivier

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Papy Oli on March 30, 2021, 04:58:42 AM

I am merely one of many re-routing/holding options that Jeffrey uses for his CD orders when the Lady of the House comments sarcastically about his obsessive and repeated RVW orders  :blank:

lol  ;D
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Haha - don't hesitate to send me your CD box set requests!  ;D

vandermolen

Quote from: Papy Oli on March 30, 2021, 04:58:42 AM

I've perfected ways of smuggling LPs and CDs past my parents, in my youth, and now my wife over many decades. Keeping my ground floor bedroom window open a bit at the bottom for the cats to get in an out was a master-stroke, if I say so myself. I could then sneak round, through the communal garden of our block of flats (apartments) to my bedroom window and throw the LP in, onto the carpet, before appearing, all innocent looking, at the front door a few moments later.  :D >:D

vandermolen

I enjoyed this CD more than before (both works). Slatkin does not rush the finale of No.6:

Roy Bland

Quote from: vandermolen on March 31, 2021, 07:31:46 AM
I enjoyed this CD more than before (both works). Slatkin does not rush the finale of No.6:

IMHO Slatkin is at the top in Symphonia Antartica well supported from Philarmonia.

vandermolen

Quote from: Roy Bland on March 31, 2021, 05:19:29 PM
IMHO Slatkin is at the top in Symphonia Antartica well supported from Philarmonia.
I'll give that another listen to, coupled with a rather good 'Dives and Lazarus' if I remember correctly.

vandermolen

I've been enjoying both of these performances. The Barbican acoustic is rather dry (more noticeable in Symphony No.4 I think). In particular, the performance of the hushed finale of the 6th Symphony is very effectively delineated (most conductors tend to rush through it - Boult and Abravanel are exceptions). Pappano (in his introductory note) makes a lot of the fact that the recordings took place on the day of the 2019 UK election (No.4) and on the date of the first UK lockdown in 2020 (No.6) and that the performances picked up some of the tension and anxiety of those days.
I look forward to hearing what Brabbins makes of Symphony No.6 but I much prefer these performances of both works to recent ones by Manze and Elder, both of which I found disappointing:

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on April 18, 2021, 12:09:23 AM
I've been enjoying both of these performances. The Barbican acoustic is rather dry (more noticeable in Symphony No.4 I think). In particular, the performance of the hushed finale of the 6th Symphony is very effectively delineated (most conductors tend to rush through it - Boult and Abravanel are exceptions). Pappano (in his introductory note) makes a lot of the fact that the recordings took place on the day of the 2019 UK election (No.4) and on the date of the first UK lockdown in 2020 (No.6) and that the performances picked up some of the tension and anxiety of those days.
I look forward to hearing what Brabbins makes of Symphony No.6 but I much prefer these performances of both works to recent ones by Manze and Elder, both of which I found disappointing:

I am aware CD players are able to programme Jeffrey but I tend not to use that facility. EMI coupled the 4th and 6th for the Boult CD issue which I find an odd decision. Of course if Pappano only recorded the two then .......
I am assuming they are live recordings, if so, the hall acoustic in my view is of minor importance as the ear soon adjusts, it is part of the recorded event and not a defect. Performance can conquer all.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on April 18, 2021, 12:44:50 AM
I am aware CD players are able to programme Jeffrey but I tend not to use that facility. EMI coupled the 4th and 6th for the Boult CD issue which I find an odd decision. Of course if Pappano only recorded the two then .......
I am assuming they are live recordings, if so, the hall acoustic in my view is of minor importance as the ear soon adjusts, it is part of the recorded event and not a defect. Performance can conquer all.
Yes, both live Lol. Both of Boult's Decca and EMI CD releases coupled 4 and 6. I prefer Slatkin's coupling of 5 and 6.