Vaughan Williams's Veranda

Started by karlhenning, April 12, 2007, 06:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 13, 2021, 08:35:31 PM
I don't listen to film music very often, but I like that Three Portraits from the England of Elizabeth quite a bit. It was featured in the Previn cycle of symphonies.
Previn's performance is the best I think. Christo likes the Three Portraits as well.
I forgot to mention that I do like Elder's 'Job' and 'Songs of Travel'.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on June 13, 2021, 11:10:00 PM
Previn's performance is the best I think. Christo likes the Three Portraits as well.
I forgot to mention that I do like Elder's 'Job' and 'Songs of Travel'.

Excellent, Jeffrey. I need to listen to that Elder Job and Songs of Travel recording. It's still in its' plastic wrap... :-[

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 14, 2021, 09:24:54 AM
Excellent, Jeffrey. I need to listen to that Elder Job and Songs of Travel recording. It's still in its' plastic wrap... :-[
Oh yes, it needs to come out of the plastic wrap John  ;D
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on June 14, 2021, 11:11:21 AM

In due course, Jeffrey. One of the tests for a good performance of Job for me is the movement Job's Dream. If Elder doesn't nail the poetry of this movement, then all hope is lost. :D

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on June 14, 2021, 11:11:21 AM
Quote from: Mirror Image on June 14, 2021, 11:26:06 AM
In due course, Jeffrey. One of the tests for a good performance of Job for me is the movement Job's Dream. If Elder doesn't nail the poetry of this movement, then all hope is lost. :D

I must admit, Job is one of my least favorite pieces by him (pardon, not trying to rain on your parade).  I should revisit it.

PD

p.s. If you're interested, my favorite works by him (off the top of my head):  his symphonies (Sorry, but not keen on his "A Sea Symphony"), Lark, Tallis (pardon, but I'm trying to save typing!), ....what else?  I enjoy his Norfolk Rhapsodies.. his Hodie....love the Baker "English Song Anthology"...will have to think further.  English Folk Song Suite..Greensleeves..Dives and Lazarus.
Pohjolas Daughter

Mirror Image

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 14, 2021, 12:23:22 PM
I must admit, Job is one of my least favorite pieces by him (pardon, not trying to rain on your parade).  I should revisit it.

PD

p.s. If you're interested, my favorite works by him (off the top of my head):  his symphonies (Sorry, but not keen on his "A Sea Symphony"), Lark, Tallis (pardon, but I'm trying to save typing!), ....what else?  I enjoy his Norfolk Rhapsodies.. his Hodie....love the Baker "English Song Anthology"...will have to think further.  English Folk Song Suite..Greensleeves..Dives and Lazarus.

No need apologizing, PD. Job isn't for everyone. I loved it on first-listen I will say. Have you heard Flos campi or Five Mystical Songs? I must count these pieces amongst my favorite RVW.

vandermolen

PD

No need to be sorry at all PD. It took me decades to 'get' 'A Sea Symphony'. Dives and Lazarus is one of my favourites as well. I'd also recommend Sancta Civitas, Epithalamion and Dona Nobis Pacem.

Roy Bland

Quote from: vandermolen on June 15, 2021, 12:32:58 AM
No need to be sorry at all PD. It took me decades to 'get' 'A Sea Symphony'. Dives and Lazarus is one of my favourites as well. I'd also recommend Sancta Civitas, Epithalamion and Dona Nobis Pacem.
IMHO Sea Symphony  reflects the wild and even emphatic vitality of Whitman's verses

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 14, 2021, 12:27:13 PM
No need apologizing, PD. Job isn't for everyone. I loved it on first-listen I will say. Have you heard Flos campi or Five Mystical Songs? I must count these pieces amongst my favorite RVW.
It's been ages since I've visited Flos Campi to be honest.  I should revisit it.  By the way, in my haste to post works of VW's that I love, I had forgotten that that Janet Baker album that I enjoy also has a number of other English composers on it too! lol  :-[  I do enjoy the two that are on there:  "The Call" from Five Mystical Songs and also there's "Youth and Love" from Songs of Travel which I enjoy.  It's a wonderful album...love the Finzi and a bunch of others on there too.  Do you two know that album?  Here's a photo of it:

Below is the CD that I own of it on Regis:

I do very much like his Dona Nobis Pacem but seldom listen to it due to the powerful and solemn message in it.  Forget what my reactions were to Sancta Civitas.  Hadn't heard of Epithalamion before now.

PD
[/quote]
Pohjolas Daughter

foxandpeng

Quote from: Roy Bland on June 15, 2021, 03:33:50 AM
IMHO Sea Symphony  reflects the wild and even emphatic vitality of Whitman's verses

I love RVW, and also have a deep appreciation for WW. I am still to fully appreciate them as a unit. The enthusiastic efforts of the soprano in the first movement reminding the listener of 'sea-captains, young or old' and subsequent choral gymnastics has made me wish, at times, that I could be with those 'Pick'd sparingly without noise' to be drowned.

Doubtless my philistinism and limited love for choral music is partly to blame, but I am yet to love all of the nuances of this huge work. The second and final movements have always been more enjoyable to this listener. I hope to have more decades to rectify this.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

vandermolen

Quote from: foxandpeng on June 15, 2021, 05:27:40 AM
I love RVW, and also have a deep appreciation for WW. I am still to fully appreciate them as a unit. The enthusiastic efforts of the soprano in the first movement reminding the listener of 'sea-captains, young or old' and subsequent choral gymnastics has made me wish, at times, that I could be with those 'Pick'd sparingly without noise' to be drowned.

Doubtless my philistinism and limited love for choral music is partly to blame, but I am yet to love all of the nuances of this huge work. The second and final movements have always been more enjoyable to this listener. I hope to have more decades to rectify this.
I definitely think that the best music is in the final movement.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on June 15, 2021, 05:35:28 AM
I definitely think that the best music is in the final movement.

+ 1

This is some outstanding Vaughan Williams, IMHO. But, to be honest, I never had any issues with A Sea Symphony. I actually rather like it. I like all of RVW's symphonies, it's just that I love some more than others.

Irons

PD

I was quite shocked how much our good friend Lee who loves RVW with a passion dislikes "The Lark" PD.

The Janet Baker album you mention is outstanding. Vaughan Williams was the best English composer of songs in my opinion. Also very good is "Songs of Travel" which I believe to be the first recording by John Shirley-Quirk.

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Mirror Image

A huge +1 to Santa Civitas and Dona Nobis Pacem. Extremely fine works.

foxandpeng

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 14, 2021, 12:27:13 PM

I concur. Quality.

Flos Campi sounds great here. The particular pleasure of this release, for me, is the Household Music. If you like that sort of thing, there is a particularly fine hymn by Vernon Higham, 'I saw a new vision of Jesus', set to the tune of the first piece. As for Dives and Lazarus (not part of this release, obvs), there is something sublime, I think.

Whatever one's take on spiritual things, RVW has an uncommon ability to elevate and beautify. 
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Mirror Image

Quote from: foxandpeng on June 17, 2021, 03:30:23 AM
I concur. Quality.

Flos Campi sounds great here. The particular pleasure of this release, for me, is the Household Music. If you like that sort of thing, there is a particularly fine hymn by Vernon Higham, 'I saw a new vision of Jesus', set to the tune of the first piece. As for Dives and Lazarus (not part of this release, obvs), there is something sublime, I think.

Whatever one's take on spiritual things, RVW has an uncommon ability to elevate and beautify.

I'm not too familiar with Household Music. I own the recording you posted (w/ Hickox), so I'll have to dig it out and give it a listen. Yes, I certainly agree that he had a special gift into turning something that perhaps on its own doesn't sound like much into something magical and otherworldly.

vandermolen

Quote from: foxandpeng on June 17, 2021, 03:30:23 AM
I concur. Quality.

That's a fine CD - also for 'Riders to the Sea' - one of the few operas that I enjoy.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on June 15, 2021, 07:17:29 AM
I was quite shocked how much our good friend Lee who loves RVW with a passion dislikes "The Lark" PD.

The Janet Baker album you mention is outstanding. Vaughan Williams was the best English composer of songs in my opinion. Also very good is "Songs of Travel" which I believe to be the first recording by John Shirley-Quirk.
Good to hear that you also enjoy that Baker album!  I expect that you have the original Saga release?  Out of curiosity, any idea of when it was first released, did they press many copies of it?  I don't know off hand what year it came out and how well known Janet Baker was then (I'm guessing though 'well').  Is it very easy to find decent copies of it at a good price?

And, yes, that John Shirley-Quirk is a very nice one too.  :)  Sadly, they don't say anything about the singer nor the pianist in the liner notes....unless there was something else on either the inner sleeve or there was an insert?  I suspect that I don't have the original inner sleeve.

PD

p.s.  I have both Saga 5211 (stereo) and XID 5211.  Oh, I did notice that on the XID one, that on the back at the top it says "Debut Series No. 4", so it sounds like you're correct about it being his first album.  :)
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 18, 2021, 05:25:13 AM
Good to hear that you also enjoy that Baker album!  I expect that you have the original Saga release?  Out of curiosity, any idea of when it was first released, did they press many copies of it?  I don't know off hand what year it came out and how well known Janet Baker was then (I'm guessing though 'well').  Is it very easy to find decent copies of it at a good price?

And, yes, that John Shirley-Quirk is a very nice one too.  :)  Sadly, they don't say anything about the singer nor the pianist in the liner notes....unless there was something else on either the inner sleeve or there was an insert?  I suspect that I don't have the original inner sleeve.

PD

p.s.  I have both Saga 5211 (stereo) and XID 5211.  Oh, I did notice that on the XID one, that on the back at the top it says "Debut Series No. 4", so it sounds like you're correct about it being his first album.  :)

You are right! It does say "Debut Series NO.4". You are much more observant then me! I see that the Shirley-Quirk is XID 5211 and Baker XID 5213. So released at same or similar time?

Do you have "A Pageant of English Song" with Janet Baker and Gerald Moore?

You mention "Youth and Love" being a favourite. It is one of mine too. :)

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on June 21, 2021, 12:51:50 AM
You are right! It does say "Debut Series NO.4". You are much more observant then me! I see that the Shirley-Quirk is XID 5211 and Baker XID 5213. So released at same or similar time?

Do you have "A Pageant of English Song" with Janet Baker and Gerald Moore?

You mention "Youth and Love" being a favourite. It is one of mine too. :)
No, I don't have that album.  As far as LPs go, I only have a few with her singing on them (operas).   I have about a half-dozen CDs (or boxed sets).  It appears (after doing a bit of googling) that I have Side 1 (or most of it?  Trying to find a listing of all of the songs on it) of Pageant as part of my EMI Icon set.  According to a Gramophone excerpt here:  https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/7945443--janet-baker-haydn-beethoven-scottish-folk-song-arrangements  Pageant was her first solo album for EMI.  Trying to see whether or not she has her own thread?

PD

EDIT:  p.s.  I found her thread and copied the info there too.
Pohjolas Daughter