Vaughan Williams's Veranda

Started by karlhenning, April 12, 2007, 06:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 07, 2021, 05:20:05 PM
A special head-nod and high-five for Riders to the Sea --- a haunting, brooding opera that I think I may very well prefer to any of the other operas I've heard (i. e. Sir John in Love, The Poisoned Kiss and The Pilgrim's Progress).

Riders to the Sea is brilliant.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 07, 2021, 05:22:28 PM
Riders to the Sea is brilliant.

Indeed! I should revisit it at some juncture.

VonStupp

Quote from: vandermolen on July 06, 2021, 09:51:07 PM
I agree but the CD I posted above ('Epithalamion' etc) is very special - also the booklet features a great painting of VW!

A great picture! I will seek this out.

VS
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

I'm listening to the fascinating Cincinnati SO/Eugene Goossens recording of 'A London Symphony' and greatly enjoying it. It's rather faster than usual (transferred from 78 RPM discs) but most importantly it was the first CD release of the 1920 version which included the 'missing' sections excised in 1936. I also came across a letter from VW to that great anglophile Bernard Herrmann, apparently inviting him and the then Mrs Herrmann over to tea (It's difficult to read VW's writing) and, in the details below a reference to Herrmann complaining about VW's removal of his favourite section from the slow movement:
https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/16761/lot/214/

The CD also contains a v successful transfer IMO of VW's own recording of his 4th Symphony, recorded in 1937.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Roasted Swan

Quote from: vandermolen on July 21, 2021, 12:05:12 AM
I'm listening to the fascinating Cincinnati SO/Eugene Goossens recording of 'A London Symphony' and greatly enjoying it. It's rather faster than usual (transferred from 78 RPM discs) but most importantly it was the first CD release of the 1920 version which included the 'missing' sections excised in 1936. I also came across a letter from VW to that great anglophile Bernard Herrmann, apparently inviting him and the then Mrs Herrmann over to tea (It's difficult to read VW's writing) and, in the details below a reference to Herrmann complaining about VW's removal of his favourite section from the slow movement:
https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/16761/lot/214/

The CD also contains a v successful transfer IMO of VW's own recording of his 4th Symphony, recorded in 1937.

Some great restorations on KlassicHaus including real rarities.  I must admit for this kind of 'vintage' restoration I'm happy to have FLAC files rather than hard-copy CD's.  For some reason this RVW is only offered as a CD by KlassicHaus (but the online sample sounds very fine...)  These are the people to approach for high quality transfers of the Downes/Bax 3 and the Tjeknavorian/Khatchaturian 1.........

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on July 21, 2021, 03:41:59 AM
Some great restorations on KlassicHaus including real rarities.  I must admit for this kind of 'vintage' restoration I'm happy to have FLAC files rather than hard-copy CD's.  For some reason this RVW is only offered as a CD by KlassicHaus (but the online sample sounds very fine...)  These are the people to approach for high quality transfers of the Downes/Bax 3 and the Tjeknavorian/Khatchaturian 1.........

I've already done that Re: Bax but there were huge problems about it I remember. Lyrita were interested at one time as Downes's son was a big chief down there. When I was communicating with him about it I had no idea who he was, having not put 2 + 2 together  ::).

PS Gruner-Hegg's unrivalled recording of Klaus Egge's 1st Symphony would be another candidate.

vandermolen

I listened to the opening of what sounded like an excellent performance of 'A London Symphony' on You Tube and, to my surprise, discovered that it was Norrington's recording. I say this as I've been rather dismissive of Norrington's VW up until now, although 'A Pastoral Symphony' was better than the others. Anyway I'm listening again to some of his recordings. This Symphony has always meant a lot to me since I was 17 due to my love of VW and of London, where I grew up. We had sad news today as we heard that my nice brother-in-law in Sweden passed away yesterday (he had been ill for many years) and I needed to hear something familiar and consoling:

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on August 12, 2021, 06:42:35 AM
I listened to the opening of what sounded like an excellent performance of 'A London Symphony' on You Tube and, to my surprise, discovered that it was Norrington's recording. I say this as I've been rather dismissive of Norrington's VW up until now, although 'A Pastoral Symphony' was better than the others. Anyway I'm listening again to some of his recordings. This Symphony has always meant a lot to me since I was 17 due to my love of VW and of London, where I grew up. We had sad news today as we heard that my nice brother-in-law in Sweden passed away yesterday (he had been ill for many years) and I needed to hear something familiar and consoling:

I'm very sorry for your loss Jeffrey.  My condolences to you and your family.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

foxandpeng

This Symphony has always meant a lot to me since I was 17 due to my love of VW and of London, where I grew up. We had sad news today as we heard that my nice brother-in-law in Sweden passed away yesterday (he had been ill for many years) and I needed to hear something familiar and consoling:

Sorry to hear this news  :(
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

André

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 12, 2021, 07:37:13 AM

PD

+1.

You've mentioned him a few times, I guess you were close. Condolences, Jeffrey.

Roasted Swan

Music can be such a support in times of sadness and loss......

I think I mentioned earlier on this thread that Norrington's RVW is a LOT better than contemporary reviews would have you think.  Like many others here I am NO Norrington fan - but his RVW is very good - helped by great playing and recording it must be said.....

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 12, 2021, 07:37:13 AM

PD
Thanks very much PD - much appreciated.

aligreto

Quote from: vandermolen on August 12, 2021, 11:46:13 AM
Thanks very much PD - much appreciated.

My condolences to your wife and to you, Jeffrey.

vandermolen

vandermolen

Quote from: André on August 12, 2021, 08:17:07 AM
+1.

You've mentioned him a few times, I guess you were close. Condolences, Jeffrey.
Thank you André.

vandermolen

Quote from: ultralinear on August 12, 2021, 11:24:49 AM
Oh that's an excellent recording.  Which I say with some amazement, as generally I am not a Norrington fan.  Indeed I bought that recording largely as a joke, fully expecting it to be a stinker.  But it absolutely is not - far from it.  If it doesn't replace Previn/LSO as my reference, it is up there with it.  There is an essential rightness about it.

I too have an emotional connection with this symphony, as for many years I worked in Senate House in Russell Square, parking my car daily in the double-helical underground car park in Bloomsbury Square - so the 2nd movement "Bloomsbury Square on a November afternoon" acts on me like Proust's madeleine, infallibly bringing the past to life.

I am sorry for your loss.
A most interesting post and many thanks for your kind words. I studied at Birkbeck and UCL for some years so that area of London is very familiar to me.

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on August 12, 2021, 11:39:33 AM
Music can be such a support in times of sadness and loss......

I think I mentioned earlier on this thread that Norrington's RVW is a LOT better than contemporary reviews would have you think.  Like many others here I am NO Norrington fan - but his RVW is very good - helped by great playing and recording it must be said.....
I agree RS - thank you. I need to revisit those Norrington recordings.

vandermolen

Quote from: aligreto on August 12, 2021, 11:48:45 AM
My condolences to your wife and to you, Jeffrey.
Thank you Fergus - much appreciated.

Mirror Image

Sorry to hear about this, Jeffrey. Best wishes to you and your family. We must never take one moment for granted. It's over before we know it.