Vaughan Williams's Veranda

Started by karlhenning, April 12, 2007, 06:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irons

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 10, 2021, 04:13:44 PM
Found on Twitter.

Great photo. RVW wrote his Tuba Concerto for a Philip Catelinet apparently. He is likely to be the chap in the photo.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

aukhawk

That is a great photo.

[Leppard]
Quote from: Mirror Image on October 10, 2021, 07:40:46 PM
Can the narrated parts be skipped in this recording? If yes, I may consider it.

Pretty much**.  That is they are clear of music so can be edited out.  I've done that.  They aren't tracked though.  There is one narration over a sustained orchestral pedal point - which does actually occur in one or two other recordings - but cutting that is not really damaging musically, it just makes for a slightly duff music edit that is gone in an instant.
Other than that it's a fine version - but then, of the several recordings of the Antartica that I have, I really like them all.  The other point of interest for me when comparing is whether the organ is 'live' or (as I suspect is nearly always the case) overdubbed.

** edit to add to the above - I've just checked it and it's perhaps a little more problematic than I remembered.  In the all-important middle movement there are two narrator interventions within the movement (ie, not simply before the start) - and it is the 2nd of these which overlays the (extended) orchestral pedal-point crescendo immediately before the final huge climax.  So it does make a nasty cut at a most important musical moment - but still, in tne end it is just an instantaneous gltch.  If you were listening on vinyl and had a click at that moment you'd think nothing of it - it's no worse than that really.  The other intervention is clear of music, as is a similar intervention in the 4th movement.

The texts (diary extracts) are quite interesting - especially the very extended (over 2 minutes) narration before the 2nd (penguins) movement, and delivered in a light, non-portentous manner.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 10, 2021, 04:13:44 PM
Found on Twitter.
Cool!  Is that Philip Catelinet?

PD

Quote from: Irons on October 10, 2021, 11:42:43 PM
Great photo. RVW wrote his Tuba Concerto for a Philip Catelinet apparently. He is likely to be the chap in the photo.

Quote from: vandermolen on October 10, 2021, 10:47:17 PM
Great photo!
I did some digging and yes that is P.C. there.  Whilst doing that, I found this neat website with a wonderful story of how he came to premiere the work, etc.  Had a good laugh re the story of Crispin too.

http://philipcatelinet.com/biography/the-truth-about-the-vaughan-williams-tuba-concerto-by-philip-catelinet-itea-journal-volume-14-number-2-november-1986/

Lovely recounting by him.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 11, 2021, 02:57:11 AM
Cool!  Is that Philip Catelinet?

PD
I did some digging and yes that is P.C. there.  Whilst doing that, I found this neat website with a wonderful story of how he came to premiere the work, etc.  Had a good laugh re the story of Crispin too.

http://philipcatelinet.com/biography/the-truth-about-the-vaughan-williams-tuba-concerto-by-philip-catelinet-itea-journal-volume-14-number-2-november-1986/

Lovely recounting by him.  :)

PD
A most interesting and charming article PD - thanks for posting it.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on October 11, 2021, 12:13:29 PM
A most interesting and charming article PD - thanks for posting it.
Glad that you enjoyed it Jeffrey!  I found it to be quite interesting how he initially got the job playing the tuba and also his amount of rehearsal/preparedness with the orchestra beforehand and how the various performances went, etc., and his comments about how he found Vaughan Williams to be as a person (from what interactions that he had with him over the years and notes that he had received from him)...lovely!

Wish that I could have seen Crispin "with" tuba and Vaughan Williams reaction....priceless I bet!  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 11, 2021, 12:22:23 PM
Glad that you enjoyed it Jeffrey!  I found it to be quite interesting how he initially got the job playing the tuba and also his amount of rehearsal/preparedness with the orchestra beforehand and how the various performances went, etc., and his comments about how he found Vaughan Williams to be as a person (from what interactions that he had with him over the years and notes that he had received from him)...lovely!

Wish that I could have seen Crispin "with" tuba and Vaughan Williams reaction....priceless I bet!  :)

PD
I hope that Crispin found his way out and was not 'expelled' during the concert!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on October 11, 2021, 12:32:34 PM
I hope that Crispin found his way out and was not 'expelled' during the concert!
I'm sure that he did otherwise we would have heard a very different story regarding the destruction of a trombone trying to get him out or an even worse ending [God forbid!]!   :'(  Have you heard/read anything otherwise?  Apparently, Ursula has written about it:  "Mrs. Vaughan Williams quotes this story in her volume R.W.V., Oxford University Press, 1964."  Do you have this book Jeffrey?  I'd be very curious as to what she wrote.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 11, 2021, 12:55:17 PM
I'm sure that he did otherwise we would have heard a very different story regarding the destruction of a trombone trying to get him out or an even worse ending [God forbid!]!   :'(  Have you heard/read anything otherwise?  Apparently, Ursula has written about it:  "Mrs. Vaughan Williams quotes this story in her volume R.W.V., Oxford University Press, 1964."  Do you have this book Jeffrey?  I'd be very curious as to what she wrote.

PD
Yes, I have the book PD. I know that the pictorial biography features a photo of Crispin and Friskin.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on October 11, 2021, 01:06:14 PM
Yes, I have the book PD. I know that the pictorial biography features a photo of Crispin and Friskin.
Oh, so it's the pictorial bio that he's referring to.  Any comments therein?

Is Friskin a sibling?  And I trust that no kittens were harmed during the performance rehearsals?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 11, 2021, 01:16:50 PM

Is Friskin a sibling?  And I trust that no kittens were harmed during the performance rehearsals?

PD
I'm sure that the kittens were fine PD! Yes, Friskin was a sibling - they look identical. I'll try to find a photo.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 11, 2021, 12:22:23 PM

PD

Check PM, PD ;)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 11, 2021, 01:16:50 PM

PD
Here you go PD

vandermolen

VW's 149th Birthday today (12th October). Next year there will no doubt be many commemorative events. I just received the RVW Society Journal and was sad to note the death of James Day (aged 93) who wrote a famous biography of Vaughan Williams in the Master Musicians series:

Mirror Image

Thanks for the reminder, Jeffrey. I'll have to have a Vaughan Williams-a-thon.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 11, 2021, 08:17:49 PM
Thanks for the reminder, Jeffrey. I'll have to have a Vaughan Williams-a-thon.
Definitely John!  :)

vandermolen

Happy 149th birthday RVW (born 12/10/1872)

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on October 11, 2021, 01:48:30 PM
Here you go PD

Thanks for the image....cute!
Quote from: vandermolen on October 12, 2021, 01:15:27 AM
Happy 149th birthday RVW (born 12/10/1872)

Happy birthday RVW!   :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Mirror Image

Yes, a Happy Birthday is in order for Ralph!

vandermolen