Vaughan Williams's Veranda

Started by karlhenning, April 12, 2007, 06:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dundonnell

My understanding is that the score of VW's 3rd Norfolk Rhapsody is lost. It was first performed in Cardiff in 1907 with the London Symphony Orchestra conducted by the composer and was performed in London in 1912 at the Quuen's Hall conducted by Balfour Gardiner. There is further information in Michael Kennedy's "Catalogue of the Works of Ralph Vaughan Williams".

One never knows; the manuscript might turn up again one day. Clearly it was not published.

vandermolen

If you like the Tallis Fantasia, you have to listen to the Elegy on the CD below.  The Symphony is magnificent too, a powerful, craggy monolithic masterpiece (I don't use this word lightly) which eschews all sentimentality, with echoes of Havergal Brian (a friend of Truscott's), Nielsen and Bruckner.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Truscott-Orchestral-Works-Harold/dp/B00000462S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1202046033&sr=1-1
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: vandermolen on February 03, 2008, 04:46:07 AM
If you like the Tallis Fantasia, you have to listen to the Elegy on the CD below.  The Symphony is magnificent too, a powerful, craggy monolithic masterpiece (I don't use this word lightly) which eschews all sentimentality, with echoes of Havergal Brian (a friend of Truscott's), Nielsen and Bruckner.

The Elegy is wonderful indeed. I have both the Marco Polo CD with the orchestral works and the one with Truscott's chamber music - it's been a while since I listened to them, but I remember them being models of clarity, concision and power.

Btw - has anybody heard Truscott's piano sonatas?
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Thom

Indeed it was by a recommendation on this forum that I bought the Truscott cd. Never regretted it one moment. The elegy is on my playlist often, wonderful music.

vandermolen

Jezetha and Thom

Glad you liked the Elegy and the magnificent Symphony.

I have the Marco Polo chamber disc also, which is very enjoyable.

How sad that his music was almost completely neglected in his lifetime.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

J.Z. Herrenberg

Slightly OT: the subject of RVW's use of the saxophone was raised earlier in the thread. I just listened to Eric Coates' Saxo-Rhapsody (Groves, Brymer, Royal Liverpool Philharmonic), a wonderful piece. Anyone know this?
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

vandermolen

Quote from: Jezetha on February 11, 2008, 01:43:05 PM
Slightly OT: the subject of RVW's use of the saxophone was raised earlier in the thread. I just listened to Eric Coates' Saxo-Rhapsody (Groves, Brymer, Royal Liverpool Philharmonic), a wonderful piece. Anyone know this?

No, but I will look out for it.  Thanks

Guido

Just listened to the Serenade to Music in it's orchestral setting. It just doesn't get any better than that!
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

Benji

Quote from: Guido on February 14, 2008, 04:26:58 PM
Just listened to the Serenade to Music in it's orchestral setting. It just doesn't get any better than that!

Sure it does, with the voices as in the usual setting.  :) 

Without the voices it's like a trifle without the sherry, tasty but just not as intoxicating as it can be.  0:)

Lethevich

Quote from: The Notorious MOG on February 15, 2008, 03:50:58 PM
Sure it does, with the voices as in the usual setting.  :) 

Without the voices it's like a trifle without the sherry, tasty but just not as intoxicating as it can be.  0:)

Indeedie, the choral version is one of the few pieces that I find to be out of this world :)
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Ephemerid

All this talk of RVW here and on the RVW symphony thread has gotten my appetite worked up-- I am familiar with only a few of his works (shame on me, I know-- the works I have heard I have loved and I adore his setting of "Silent Noon")-- so I downloaded Hickox's recording of the third symphony and oboe concerto for starters. 

I'm very excited about listening to it closely when I get home tonight!  ;D

CORRECTION: Not Hickox, but Bryden Thompson (on Chandos)

knight66

Silent Noon.........yes an especially beautiful song. Whose recording do you have?

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Ephemerid

Quote from: knight on February 19, 2008, 12:53:35 PM
Silent Noon.........yes an especially beautiful song. Whose recording do you have?

Mike

Ian Bostridge in a crystal clear tenor.  :)  Back when I was a music student in the early 90s I sang this song & was happy when I found out he had done a recording of it.  This and Schubert's "Nacht und Traume" are two of the most beautiful art songs ever written IMO.

knight66

I also have sung the piece. I am mostly allergic to Bostridge. Terfel speeds through it and Janet Baker, who is recorded from a concert had a catch in her throat during it.

Another wonderful WV song is The Infinite Shining Heavens. Terfel gives that one the best performance I have ever heard of the song.

Nacht und Traume is a stunner.

Mike

Ephemerid

Quote from: knight on February 19, 2008, 01:10:59 PM
I also have sung the piece. I am mostly allergic to Bostridge. Terfel speeds through it and Janet Baker, who is recorded from a concert had a catch in her throat during it.

Another wonderful WV song is The Infinite Shining Heavens. Terfel gives that one the best performance I have ever heard of the song.

Nacht und Traume is a stunner.

Mike
Oooh!  I'll check that out then!

Dana

Quote from: Guido on February 14, 2008, 04:26:58 PMJust listened to the Serenade to Music in it's orchestral setting. It just doesn't get any better than that!

Which recording is it? I got the 16-soloist version with Boult on a bargain EMI disc at Best Buy, and it was a pile of schlock (it bears noting that nearly everything else on the disc was no better).

sound67

Quote from: Dana on February 22, 2008, 10:05:14 AM
      Which recording is it? I got the 16-soloist version with Boult on a bargain EMI disc at Best Buy, and it was a pile of schlock (it bears noting that nearly everything else on the disc was no better).

Get a life.
"Vivaldi didn't compose 500 concertos. He composed the same concerto 500 times" - Igor Stravinsky

"Mozart is a menace to musical progress, a relic of rituals that were losing relevance in his own time and are meaningless to ours." - Norman Lebrecht

knight66

Quote from: just josh on February 19, 2008, 01:14:50 PM
Oooh!  I'll check that out then!

I recommend this disc. Included upon it is RVWs song cycle Songs of Travel. The disc as a whole is about the best collection of English songs that I know of. Terfel is full of insight and subtlety. It is a glorious voice and he really communicates. That song, The Infinite Shining Heavens was a revelation, I knew it well, he sings it with utter freshness.

Mike

Ephemerid

Quote from: knight on February 22, 2008, 12:36:02 PM

I recommend this disc. Included upon it is RVWs song cycle Songs of Travel. The disc as a whole is about the best collection of English songs that I know of. Terfel is full of insight and subtlety. It is a glorious voice and he really communicates. That song, The Infinite Shining Heavens was a revelation, I knew it well, he sings it with utter freshness.

Mike

Downloading it now.  I did download Benjamin Luxon's recording of Songs of Travel (and Silent Noon) but found something missing in it.  Just listening to the samples, this recording sounds more compelling!  Thank you, Mike:)

Dana

Quote from: sound67 on February 22, 2008, 11:50:15 AMGet a life.

I have one - it's Vaughan-Williams (just not bad recordings of him)!