Vaughan Williams's Veranda

Started by karlhenning, April 12, 2007, 06:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iota

Is there some kind of optical illusion I and vandermolen are missing? I see a sleeping baby very clearly on the cover of the Hickox's No.6 on Chandos, in Roasted Swan's post before mine. Or perhaps two covers were released?

While he's being mentioned, I'll say that I'm not sure I've ever heard a Hickox recording of British music, that I didn't like. The time may come of course, but thus far I've always found his approach a sensitive/illuminating/enjoyable one. Though  admittedly I know only a fraction of the pieces and recordings that most on this thread seem to, so have had less opportunity to come across a bad apple. 

foxandpeng

Quote from: relm1 on February 12, 2022, 05:59:02 AM
Just an FYI, some of the symphonies not released in the Hickox Chandos cycle were conducted and recorded in concert.  I love his Symphony No. 9 for example, but can't seem to find it at the moment, but they are out there.  You might consider those concert performances as supplements to completing the cycle.

Thank you, relm1 - I will keep a look out for them!

As far as my humour, PD and Jeffrey, I'm afraid that I find myself far more amusing than my wife did  :)
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on February 12, 2022, 07:15:32 AM
You are absolutely right about the covers - RVW 6&8 was always a "night scene" image and the original Delius Mass of Life was a rather annoyed looking baby which was latterly changed for something more mundance.

There's definitely a baby on that VW cover image!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: foxandpeng on February 12, 2022, 09:36:02 AM
Thank you, relm1 - I will keep a look out for them!

As far as my humour, PD and Jeffrey, I'm afraid that I find myself far more amusing than my wife did  :)

My wife often says: 'You think that you're such a wit don't you?' after I've repeated the same joke for the 15th time.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Iota on February 12, 2022, 08:19:28 AM
Is there some kind of optical illusion I and vandermolen are missing? I see a sleeping baby very clearly on the cover of the Hickox's No.6 on Chandos, in Roasted Swan's post before mine. Or perhaps two covers were released?

While he's being mentioned, I'll say that I'm not sure I've ever heard a Hickox recording of British music, that I didn't like. The time may come of course, but thus far I've always found his approach a sensitive/illuminating/enjoyable one. Though  admittedly I know only a fraction of the pieces and recordings that most on this thread seem to, so have had less opportunity to come across a bad apple.
Um, I was at least one of the other ones who said that all I saw was a pier (thinking that it was foggy, but just nighttime or?).  Are we talking about the same cover?  This is the one that's on my hybrid SACD version:

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

foxandpeng

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 12, 2022, 12:44:05 PM
Um, I was at least one of the other ones who said that all I saw was a pier (thinking that it was foggy, but just nighttime or?).  Are we talking about the same cover?  This is the one that's on my hybrid SACD version:

PD

Yep  Definitely a depressing baby face, with nose and lips visible on the pier.

Yuk.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

foxandpeng

Quote from: vandermolen on February 12, 2022, 11:56:11 AM
My wife often says: 'You think that your such a wit don't you?' after I've repeated the same joke for the 15th time.

Hehe. My wife again reminds me that it wasn't funny yesterday, either.

Tolstoy

Iota

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 12, 2022, 12:44:05 PM

PD

Yes indeed, that's the same cover, and I see a sleeping baby on it, with closed eyelids aligning perfectly with the horizon.  :)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: foxandpeng on February 12, 2022, 01:05:36 PM
Yep  Definitely a depressing baby face, with nose and lips visible on the pier.

Yuk.

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Boy, you two, I'm certainly not seeing any baby!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Roasted Swan

Ha!  Proves how (un)carefully I looked at the cover of the Hickox 6&8.  Never noticed the "dreamer" before.  Not sure I'd be much good as a witness anytime......

Karl Henning

Quote from: vandermolen on February 12, 2022, 11:56:11 AM
My wife often says: 'You think that your such a wit don't you?' after I've repeated the same joke for the 15th time.

(* chortle *)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: vandermolen on February 05, 2022, 11:49:37 PM
Just wanted to say how much I have been enjoying this new release - a piano duet version of the 1920 edition of A London Symphony. I'm really glad that it features the 1920 version, which retains the intensely poetic final sections which the composer later (and mistakenly IMO) excised. Also the piano and organ version of Finzi's beautiful 'Eclogue' is well worth hearing. I've played this CD several times already:

Listening now.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vers la flamme

Took me a long time to see it, but yeah, the baby is there. Very odd design choice...

vandermolen

Quote from: foxandpeng on February 12, 2022, 01:07:34 PM
Hehe. My wife again reminds me that it wasn't funny yesterday, either.
OT
My nephew's wife tells us that she can't wait for their children to reach adolescence so that they realise that their dad is not nearly as funny as he thinks he is.

Biffo

Quote from: Roasted Swan on February 12, 2022, 01:35:22 PM
Ha!  Proves how (un)carefully I looked at the cover of the Hickox 6&8.  Never noticed the "dreamer" before.  Not sure I'd be much good as a witness anytime......

I can now see the baby in the background. I missed it completely when I first looked at my copy of the CD. At a first glance I thought there was the back of a polar bear's head at the end of the pier but that didn't make sense. The face shows up more clearly (but not very) on the back cover.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: vandermolen on February 05, 2022, 11:49:37 PM
Just wanted to say how much I have been enjoying this new release - a piano duet version of the 1920 edition of A London Symphony. I'm really glad that it features the 1920 version, which retains the intensely poetic final sections which the composer later (and mistakenly IMO) excised. Also the piano and organ version of Finzi's beautiful 'Eclogue' is well worth hearing. I've played this CD several times already:

Just completed listening to this new disc.  Beautifully performed/engineered/presented in typical Albion Records' top-notch manner.  The more I hear the 1920 version the more it impresses me - somehow the structure balances better with the extended finale/epilogue.  Very well played here BUT the plainness of the 2 piano adaption misses out so much of the textural beauty of the orchestral version.  Also, not sure that the actual arrangement (NOT the performance) is that sophisticated - functional rather than revelatory.  Like you I thought Eclogue a complete success both as performance and arrangement....

vandermolen

Quote from: Biffo on February 13, 2022, 02:21:16 AM
I can now see the baby in the background. I missed it completely when I first looked at my copy of the CD. At a first glance I thought there was the back of a polar bear's head at the end of the pier but that didn't make sense. The face shows up more clearly (but not very) on the back cover.
It was the nose in the middle of the image which was the give-away for me  ;D

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on February 13, 2022, 04:54:42 AM
Just completed listening to this new disc.  Beautifully performed/engineered/presented in typical Albion Records' top-notch manner.  The more I hear the 1920 version the more it impresses me - somehow the structure balances better with the extended finale/epilogue.  Very well played here BUT the plainness of the 2 piano adaption misses out so much of the textural beauty of the orchestral version.  Also, not sure that the actual arrangement (NOT the performance) is that sophisticated - functional rather than revelatory.  Like you I thought Eclogue a complete success both as performance and arrangement....
I'm delighted that you enjoyed it as well. The CD gave me much more pleasure than expected, especially because when I ordered it I had assumed that it would be the 1936 edition and not the 1920 one, which I much prefer. The Finzi was indeed a bonus - one of my 'Discs of the Year' I expect.

foxandpeng

Quote from: vandermolen on February 13, 2022, 05:06:06 AM
It was the nose in the middle of the image which was the give-away for me  ;D

And the hor-eye-zon.

*Bad-um, tish*

Tolstoy