Vaughan Williams's Veranda

Started by karlhenning, April 12, 2007, 06:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidW

I listened to that Hickox 2nd last night, and it was fantastic!

vandermolen

I've just returned from a fantastic concert at a local church featuring The Wasps Overture (which I enjoyed much more than expected hearing it live), the Lark Ascending (as above) the Tallis Fantasia and Symphony No. 5 - all beautifully performed by the Southbank Sinfonia conducted by Simon Over. It was a very moving occasion and my wife went so far as to say that it was the best concert that she had ever attended. This all VW concert was, I think, the first all VW concert that I attended since the two conducted by Boult (Royal Festival Hall and Westminster Abbey), as a 17 year old, as part of the VW centenary celebrations in 1972. Tonight's concert  (for VW's 150th Birthday) reaffirmed my faith in the 5th Symphony and left me wondering if it is Vaughan Williams's greatest symphony. A most moving occasion.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: vandermolen on May 08, 2022, 01:58:12 PM
I've just returned from a fantastic concert at a local church featuring The Wasps Overture (which I enjoyed much more than expected hearing it live), the Lark Ascending (as above) the Tallis Fantasia and Symphony No. 5 - all beautifully performed by the Southbank Sinfonia conducted by Simon Over. It was a very moving occasion and my wife went so far as to say that it was the best concert that she had ever attended. This all VW concert was, I think, the first all VW concert that I attended since the two conducted by Boult (Royal Festival Hall and Westminster Abbey), as a 17 year old, as part of the VW centenary celebrations in 1972. Tonight's concert  (for VW's 150th Birthday) reaffirmed my faith in the 5th Symphony and left me wondering if it is Vaughan Williams's greatest symphony. A most moving occasion.

Lucky you, Jeffrey! I wish I was there. I enjoy all of those works programmed in that concert.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Just stumbled upon this:

It could be of interest for many here. The link below doesn't provide much information, but it does show that it will be released in September.

https://www.warnerclassics.com/release/vaughan-williams-edition
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on May 09, 2022, 07:29:29 PM
Just stumbled upon this:

It could be of interest for many here. The link below doesn't provide much information, but it does show that it will be released in September.

I won't need it, but this will probably be an outstanding introduction to the composer as long as they stay away from Haitink's symphony cycle. A remaster of the Handley set would be a great thing --- a much needed boast in the volume level and some sizzle in the lows, mids and highs would be ideal. I doubt Warner have remastered, so it's just wishful thinking. Anyway, everything I say about this forthcoming set is speculation, but it could be a mixture of symphony recordings from Boult, Haitink, Haitink, Berglund, Davis, Barbirolli et. al. We'll just have to wait and see.

JBS

Just stumbled upon this:

Based on the conductors listed, there's a lot of carryover from the original EMI Collector's Edition.
Quote from: Mirror Image on May 09, 2022, 07:38:19 PM
I won't need it, but this will probably be an outstanding introduction to the composer as long as they stay away from Haitink's symphony cycle. A remaster of the Handley set would be a great thing --- a much needed boast in the volume level and some sizzle in the lows, mids and highs would be ideal. I doubt Warner have remastered, so it's just wishful thinking. Anyway, everything I say about this forthcoming set is speculation, but it could be a mixture of symphony recordings from Boult, Haitink, Haitink, Berglund, Davis, Barbirolli et. al. We'll just have to wait and see.

The original EMI version used Handley's cycle. I'm assuming they'll do the same in this one. The four conductors listed are Handley, Davies, Boult, and Hickox.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on May 09, 2022, 07:26:50 PM
Lucky you, Jeffrey! I wish I was there. I enjoy all of those works programmed in that concert.
Thanks Cesar  :)
It was quite emotional hearing live music again and the conductor made a short speech about it. It made such a difference hearing those very familiar works live.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Just stumbled upon this:

Very interesting Cesar! Hadn't seen this. The Meredith Davies must be 'Riders to the Sea' I guess. I suspect that it duplicates much of the'Old' Collectors Edition (as Jeffrey/JBS suggests)  but we shall see. I'm told that Somm are issuing Sargent conducting symphonies 6 and 9 (World Premiere?) and I'm looking forward to seeing that but can find no information about it yet. The new ICA CD of Boult conducting symphonies 6 and 9 is on its way (first CD release according to the publicity) and I'm looking forward to receiving it.

calyptorhynchus

Must have been a great experience, lucky you!
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

vandermolen

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on May 10, 2022, 12:12:17 AM
Must have been a great experience, lucky you!
I enjoyed it much more than expected - my wife even more so.

foxandpeng

Quote from: vandermolen on May 10, 2022, 03:03:38 AM
I enjoyed it much more than expected - my wife even more so.

Delighted it was such a positive experience and enjoyable for both of you. Such occasions are so important against the humdrum and the ordinary rhythm of life, and particularly in turbulent days. Refuge in simple pleasures is increasingly crucial to me nowadays.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

vandermolen

Quote from: foxandpeng on May 10, 2022, 03:11:54 AM
Delighted it was such a positive experience and enjoyable for both of you. Such occasions are so important against the humdrum and the ordinary rhythm of life, and particularly in turbulent days. Refuge in simple pleasures is increasingly crucial to me nowadays.
Very nicely expressed Danny.

I'm sure that Vaughan Williams's 5th Symphony offered consolation to the Londoners who first heard it (conducted by the composer) during the dark days of World War Two.

relm1

That sounds amazing!  I myself missed two RVW concerts recently that I'm so sad about - found out about them just days after they passed but it was Sancta Civitas with soloists, choir, organ, and orchestra and Symphony No. 5.  I agree with you, it might be his finest, but I really love them all in different ways. 

vandermolen

Quote from: relm1 on May 10, 2022, 05:24:28 AM
That sounds amazing!  I myself missed two RVW concerts recently that I'm so sad about - found out about them just days after they passed but it was Sancta Civitas with soloists, choir, organ, and orchestra and Symphony No. 5.  I agree with you, it might be his finest, but I really love them all in different ways.
That's a shame. I was upset about missing a live performance of Bloch's Symphony in C sharp minor some time back. I actually heard Sancta Civitas in the church where Vaughan Williams married his first wife, Adeline in Hove many years ago. I only made a last minute decision to attend the all VW concert, reassuring my wife that she would like it (she said it was her favourite concert ever). We had good seats, at the front of the church, as they were the only ones left (they cost £30.00 each but I got in free as I teach at the local school). Also, they allowed you to take the interval wine back into the church - so, it was all very civilised  :). I was quite blasé about hearing 'The Wasps Overture' and the 'Lark Ascending' through over-familiarity with them - but, I was quite wrong and it was amazing hearing them live and so well performed, especially after the lockdowns. I'm so glad that I decided to go.

Brian

I'd like to extend thanks to Karl Henning. A couple days ago I saw this thread and clicked the button to view new posts, and the button catapulted me back across pages and pages to an old post Karl wrote about his newfound love of the Concerto for Two Pianos. This morning I listened to the piece and also have a newfound love for this exquisite, fun, atmospheric bit of craftsmanship. What a lovely work!

vandermolen

Quote from: Brian on May 10, 2022, 08:34:29 AM
I'd like to extend thanks to Karl Henning. A couple days ago I saw this thread and clicked the button to view new posts, and the button catapulted me back across pages and pages to an old post Karl wrote about his newfound love of the Concerto for Two Pianos. This morning I listened to the piece and also have a newfound love for this exquisite, fun, atmospheric bit of craftsmanship. What a lovely work!
It's one of my favourite works by VW (I originally came across it when I took the EMI LP of Boult conducting the 8th Symphony, with which the double PC was coupled (Vronsky/Babin/Boult), out of my local record library in London. It is still my favourite recording (see below). Which recording were you listening to?

Here is a review of the newly released Boult CD (ICA) featuring symphonies 5 and 6.
I suspect that I may well have been to the 1972 concert as I heard Boult conduct VW several times and lived within walking distance of the Albert Hall. At that date my infatuation with Vaughan Williams's music was at its height:
http://www.colinscolumn.com/ica-classics-issues-sir-adrian-boult-conducting-vaughan-williamss-fifth-sixth-symphonies-from-bbc-proms-in-1972-1975/

Brian

Quote from: vandermolen on May 10, 2022, 11:19:54 AM
It's one of my favourite works by VW (I originally came across it when I took the EMI LP of Boult conducting the 8th Symphony, with which the double PC was coupled (Vronsky/Babin/Boult), out of my local record library in London. It is still my favourite recording (see below). Which recording were you listening to?
Tal & Groethuysen with Douglas Boyd. I will try the classic version next.

Isn't it always a jolt to see a CD of a live concert you attended? I always want to go around bragging to everyone  ;D

vandermolen

Quote from: Brian on May 10, 2022, 11:27:32 AM
Tal & Groethuysen with Douglas Boyd. I will try the classic version next.

Isn't it always a jolt to see a CD of a live concert you attended? I always want to go around bragging to everyone  ;D

That's a fine version as well. Yes, I agree with what you say about recordings of live concerts which you've attended. In my case the following:

Shostakovich: Symphony 11 'The Year 1905' BBC Radio Classics, John Pritchard
Havergal Brian: 'Gothic Symphony' (along with some other GMG Forum members) Martyn Brabbins (Hyperion CD)
Vaughan Williams: 100th Birthday Concert (Boult conducting 'Job' etc) Intaglio CD 12/10/1972
Bruckner: Symphony No.8 (Horenstein, Proms Concert) BBC Recording

kyjo

Quote from: Brian on May 10, 2022, 08:34:29 AM

+1 The slow movement Romanza is particularly beautiful and moving.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on May 11, 2022, 08:43:40 AM
+1 The slow movement Romanza is particularly beautiful and moving.
+2