Vaughan Williams's Veranda

Started by karlhenning, April 12, 2007, 06:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

From WAYLTN thread:
Vaughan Williams: Symphony No.5 BBC SO, Boult
Just arrived (5 minutes ago). It sounds like a wonderful performance, rather sibelian and urgent - very moving. Having heard this work live in concert last Sunday makes this even more special for me. On the basis of the first few minutes I can honestly say that I have never been gripped  as much as I have by this recording of the 5th Symphony (Royal Albert Hall Concert 1975 Proms) My youthful self could have been there:

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Leo K.

Quote from: vandermolen on May 11, 2022, 08:55:56 AM
From WAYLTN thread:
Just arrived (5 minutes ago). It sounds like a wonderful performance, rather sibelian and urgent - very moving. Having heard this work live in concert last Sunday makes this even more special for me. On the basis of the first few minutes I can honestly say that I have never been gripped  as much as I have by this recording of the 5th Symphony (Royal Albert Hall Concert 1975 Proms) My youthful self could have been there:

Looks fantastic. Also, think it's time for another listen to the 5th symphony! (All I have is Previn at the moment :) )

Mirror Image

From WAYLTN thread:

Jeffrey, I listened to this performance of the 5th with Boult/BBC SO and I have to say I thought the first, second and final movements were quite good, indeed. Where the performance doesn't do much for me is the Romanza. This is one of the worst performances I've heard. It's completely rushed, lacks nuance and is devoid of any kind of emotion. I love this movement so much and believe it to be the centerpiece of the entire symphony. I mean this movement essentially represents his love for Ursula or, at least, this is what I believe as around this time he couldn't get her out of his mind I'm sure. I haven't listened to the performance of the 6th, but this is a symphony I have always liked Boult in, so hopefully, it'll go better.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Leo K. on May 13, 2022, 01:12:30 PM
Looks fantastic. Also, think it's time for another listen to the 5th symphony! (All I have is Previn at the moment :) )

Excellent! Previn with the LSO on RCA remains my reference for this symphony.

Roasted Swan

From WAYLTN thread:

I don't know this Boult/RVW 5 (the No.6 performance has previously turned up on a couple of CD's including a BBC Music Magazine cover disc).  But your comment regarding the urgency of the performance is interesting.  All too often Boult is/was too easily dismissed as a rather patrician (possibly dull) conductor who in his lifetime was rather taken for granted.  The other easily repeated assumption is that his performances are a bit heavy/solid etc etc.  Of course digging down into this proves that these are unfounded.  Many of Boult's finest performance are wonderfully direct and urgent.  For sure his later Elgar discs do have a rather grander pace but they are by no means "slow" but go back into his earlier discography and many recordings are in fact at the faster end of an average range of timings/tempi

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 15, 2022, 06:28:47 AM
Jeffrey, I listened to this performance of the 5th with Boult/BBC SO and I have to say I thought the first, second and final movements were quite good, indeed. Where the performance doesn't do much for me is the Romanza. This is one of the worst performances I've heard. It's completely rushed, lacks nuance and is devoid of any kind of emotion. I love this movement so much and believe it to be the centerpiece of the entire symphony. I mean this movement essentially represents his love for Ursula or, at least, this is what I believe as around this time he couldn't get her out of his mind I'm sure. I haven't listened to the performance of the 6th, but this is a symphony I have always liked Boult in, so hopefully, it'll go better.
Interesting to hear you views John. I haven't listened to No.6 yet and might wait until my CD player is repaired (I'm using a Sony portable at the moment  :-X). Two underrated performances of No.5 are under Marriner and Thomson, both of which I have enjoyed greatly recently. BBC Record Review chose Haitink as the No. one choice for Symphony No.4 this week.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

New releases:

Biffo

Quote from: vandermolen on May 18, 2022, 02:33:07 AM
New releases:

Thanks for the tip-off, let's hope Elder is back on form after the disappointing disc of Nos 4 & 6

foxandpeng

Quote from: vandermolen on May 18, 2022, 02:33:07 AM
New releases:

For me, this is a welcome release - I've enjoyed the Elder performances very much. I know they won't become an essential addition to the repertoire because of the standard of releases already in existence from others, but each time I've listened, I've been glad that I did.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Mirror Image

Elder's RVW has been a huge disappointment for me. Only the Pastoral Symphony (w/ it's couplings) has impressed me. Brabbins, on the other hand, has been rather more up my alley and I hope he's able to finish his cycle --- he's got the 6th through the 9th to go and this could be dragged out for a few years.

vandermolen

Quote from: Biffo on May 18, 2022, 02:53:59 AM
Thanks for the tip-off, let's hope Elder is back on form after the disappointing disc of Nos 4 & 6
Yes, I agree. Like John (MI) I liked 'A Pastoral Symphony'. I might not be able to resist the disc featuring 7 and 9. I like the graphics on the cover of the boxed set.
Incidentally the boxed set (On Amazon UK) is c.£30.00 whereas the double CD set of 7 and 9 is c.£20.00.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 18, 2022, 11:24:01 AM
Elder's RVW has been a huge disappointment for me. Only the Pastoral Symphony (w/ it's couplings) has impressed me. Brabbins, on the other hand, has been rather more up my alley and I hope he's able to finish his cycle --- he's got the 6th through the 9th to go and this could be dragged out for a few years.
I'm inclined to agree John. However, I thought that Elder's 'Job' was a fine recording.

calyptorhynchus

Alarm bells begin to ring faintly when I hear terms like 'urgent' and 'Sibelian' coupled with the 5th Symphony.

I have the standard remastered Boult cycle (the 1970s one) and I thought his Fifth was a little too fast and urgent. I prefer more radiant and mystical performances.

But then that's just me. ( I got into trouble on the Froberger thread for expressing such preferences too  ;)).
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

vandermolen

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on May 18, 2022, 02:29:22 PM
Alarm bells begin to ring faintly when I hear terms like 'urgent' and 'Sibelian' coupled with the 5th Symphony.

I have the standard remastered Boult cycle (the 1970s one) and I thought his Fifth was a little too fast and urgent. I prefer more radiant and mystical performances.

But then that's just me. ( I got into trouble on the Froberger thread for expressing such preferences too  ;)).
Well, it is dedicated to Sibelius  :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on May 18, 2022, 02:40:34 PM
Well, it is dedicated to Sibelius  :)

It may have been dedicated to Sibelius, but the 5th inhabits a completely different sonic realm in comparison. By the time of writing the 5th, RVW was already an established composer and had forged a sound-world that was totally his own. Completely otherworldly. Of course, Sibelius could very well write works that were otherworldly, too, but it sounds like him regardless of what he tried. The same rings true for RVW I think.

Irons

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on May 18, 2022, 02:29:22 PM

As in the recent (last week) BBC "Building a Library" when the reviewer listened to recordings of the 4th Symphony "blind" which I think a good move as preconceptions do not come into play. Similarly the Menuhin "radiant and mystical" recording of the 5th would rate far higher if the conductor's identity was hidden from the listener. 
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on May 19, 2022, 07:15:35 AM
As in the recent (last week) BBC "Building a Library" when the reviewer listened to recordings of the 4th Symphony "blind" which I think a good move as preconceptions do not come into play. Similarly the Menuhin "radiant and mystical" recording of the 5th would rate far higher if the conductor's identity was hidden from the listener.
Interesting point about the Menuhin Lol.

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on May 19, 2022, 01:37:02 PM
Interesting point about the Menuhin Lol.

I'm bit of a Menuhin fanboy, Jeffrey. He sullied his reputation by playing his instrument too long into old age when his technique was found wanting but he retained a deep overall musical insight. 
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Irons on May 20, 2022, 12:19:15 AM
I'm bit of a Menuhin fanboy, Jeffrey. He sullied his reputation by playing his instrument too long into old age when his technique was found wanting but he retained a deep overall musical insight.

I have to say that the group of recordings Menuhin made with the RPO on their "own" Tring label are very very good indeed - as are his Elgar Symphonies etc with the same  orchestra on Virgin.  HOWEVER, I also know from colleagues who were in the RPO at that time that his conducting technique was so vague and unfathomable that more often than not at key corners in the score it was a case of follow the leader - literally - and ignore the podium.  The curious thing is that - as with his own playing - apparently Menuhin had little or no awareness of just how poor his own technique was.  BUT - when the music was familiar and his technical shortcomings could be accomodated he DID bring musical inspiration as can be heard on those discs.  His Beethoven Symphony cycle with the Sinfonia Varsovia is likewise very good.