Vaughan Williams's Veranda

Started by karlhenning, April 12, 2007, 06:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roasted Swan

Quote from: André on May 28, 2022, 11:59:14 AM
That Slatkin BBC recording of Sea Symphony is even better, more ecstatic as it were than Slatkin's studio recording. The engineering is a bit watery and swimmy (no pun intended), not quite as sharply focused as it should be, but the performance carries all before it.

Spot on - but it was a Prom and the Albert Hall is an engineer's nightmare!  Ecstatic is exactly the right word.

Maestro267

Quote from: Roasted Swan on May 28, 2022, 12:12:47 AM
Slatkin's Sea Symphony is indeed very good - but actually I like his BBC Music Magazine/BBC SO version even more - just that extra bit of live adrenalin I think....

Yeah, this has been my go-to Sea Symphony for a number of years now. A poignant detail about it for me is that this concert happened on September 10th, 2001.

LKB

I have a great affection for A Sea Symphony. I discovered the work in the course of being introduced to RVW's numerous and varied vocal pieces in the early 1980's, having already performed or attended several instrumental programs in earlier concerts. I had the opportunity to perform the work as a chorister a single time, in 1985.

The Boult EMI remains my preferred recording, having also heard Haitink, Previn, Slatkin and the earlier Boult/DECCA release. I think l prefer Haitink as second-best.

Choral quality matters in this work, arguably more than in any other work by RVW. The text must be brought vividly to life, and when considering the scale of Whitman's endeavors,  l think the choral sound should have similar weight and warmth. Narrow, overly-focused choral sound is both distracting and ( imho ) presents a conflicting and constricted palette.

Listening to the chorus at the end of Boult's EMI recording, it truly sound's oceanic. All of the depths and massive timescale of Whitman's efforts are there to be heard, with the fading strings providing a glowing path into eternity.
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Christo

Who ever heard the 'Two Shakespeare Sketches' taken by Muir Mathieson from the score of 'The England of Elizabeth', just like the better known 'Three Portraits', also by Muir Mathieson? I found a performance on Youtube by a school orchestra. I don't think the two sketches contain any music that doesn't appear in the "Three Portraits" - or do they?

https://www.youtube.com/v/jEPOOoXxKc0
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on May 30, 2022, 08:58:55 AM
Who ever heard the 'Two Shakespeare Sketches' taken by Muir Mathieson from the score of 'The England of Elizabeth', just like the better known 'Three Portraits', also by Muir Mathieson? I found a performance on Youtube by a school orchestra. I don't think the two sketches contain any music that doesn't appear in the "Three Portraits" - or do they?

https://www.youtube.com/v/jEPOOoXxKc0
It all sounds pretty familiar from the 'Three Portraits' Johan although there are some slower tempos but maybe this is due to it being performed by a school orchestra - quite a good performance. I was more aware of the drum at times. An interesting discovery though. Thanks for posting it. I was listening to the Andrew Penny performance yesterday.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Christo

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 25, 2022, 07:54:29 AM
Good to "see" you, Johan!
Thank you all, much appreciated!  ;D

Quote from: vandermolen on May 30, 2022, 10:34:40 PM
It all sounds pretty familiar from the 'Three Portraits' Johan although there are some slower tempos but maybe this is due to it being performed by a school orchestra - quite a good performance. I was more aware of the drum at times. An interesting discovery though. Thanks for posting it. I was listening to the Andrew Penny performance yesterday.
We both agree that Previn's is the best of the three extant recordings; though nowadays I'm less inclined to give the honour to the conductor -- I think the influence of conductors is grossly exaggerated.  ::)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Mirror Image

It is great to see you posting, Johan. I hope you're doing well and are able to enjoy your life again.

Biffo

I got notification of a delivery date (next Tuesday) of the Elder/Halle Sinfonia antartica etc album. Meanwhile I was able to download the mp3 version. I don't usually bother with Amazon downloads but I was keen to hear the album.

I listened to the first two movements of the Sinfonia antartica and the initial impression was that  Elder is a bit on the slow side. He has a total timing of 43' 56 compared with 38'28 for Barbirolli in his world premiere recording and 41'57 for Boult (EMI).

I will wait until I get the CD before playing the complete work and coming to any conclusions.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Biffo on June 03, 2022, 02:45:00 AM
I got notification of a delivery date (next Tuesday) of the Elder/Halle Sinfonia antartica etc album. Meanwhile I was able to download the mp3 version. I don't usually bother with Amazon downloads but I was keen to hear the album.

I listened to the first two movements of the Sinfonia antartica and the initial impression was that  Elder is a bit on the slow side. He has a total timing of 43' 56 compared with 38'28 for Barbirolli in his world premiere recording and 41'57 for Boult (EMI).

I will wait until I get the CD before playing the complete work and coming to any conclusions.

I've been rather disappointed with Elder's RVW in general. The only recording I liked was the one with A Pastoral Symphony. He seemed to have an affinity for this symphony, but the others weren't anything special. Ho-hum performances. Brabbins is currently the only ongoing cycle of recent times that has been interesting and, in many cases, highly individual but in the best possible sense.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 03, 2022, 05:48:48 AM
I've been rather disappointed with Elder's RVW in general. The only recording I liked was the one with A Pastoral Symphony. He seemed to have an affinity for this symphony, but the others weren't anything special. Ho-hum performances. Brabbins is currently the only ongoing cycle of recent times that has been interesting and, in many cases, highly individual but in the best possible sense.
This is very much my experience as well.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Biffo

I seem to be the odd one out here. I have generally enjoyed the Elder cycle, only the disc only Nos 4 & 6 was a disappointment and after recent re-listening I have modified my view of No 4 though I still wouldn't count it as a favourite recording. Nos 1 & 8 are probably my favourite versions of all.

I have been collecting the Brabbins cycle at it was issued and while none of the issues were poor and I didn't find them outstanding. No 5 is due to be issued later this month and should be interesting given the stiff competition.

vandermolen

Quote from: Biffo on June 04, 2022, 01:32:08 AM
I seem to be the odd one out here. I have generally enjoyed the Elder cycle, only the disc only Nos 4 & 6 was a disappointment and after recent re-listening I have modified my view of No 4 though I still wouldn't count it as a favourite recording. Nos 1 & 8 are probably my favourite versions of all.

I have been collecting the Brabbins cycle at it was issued and while none of the issues were poor and I didn't find them outstanding. No 5 is due to be issued later this month and should be interesting given the stiff competition.
Maybe I should have another go with Elder (the complete set is only £30).

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Biffo on June 04, 2022, 01:32:08 AM

Brabbins' No.5 has been out for some time - its 6 due for release......

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on June 04, 2022, 02:25:49 AM
Brabbins' No.5 has been out for some time - its 6 due for release......

Yes, I was puzzled by that as I have No.5 too. I look forward to seeing what Brabbins makes of No.6 which, IMO, is difficult to get right on disc. I think that there are only a few entirely successful performances, including Boult (Decca), Berglund, Thomson, Abravanel and Andrew Davis.

Biffo

Sorry for the confusion, I have it a FLAC download and all the others as CDs. I looked at Amazon to see which symphonies Brabbins had recorded and obviously misread the webpage.

This is a second attempt at posting, hope it works this time.

Edit: The Elder/Halle album was featured on Radio 3 Record Review this morning and got a very favourable review from Andrew McGregor. He also described the complete Elder cycle as one of the best in recent years.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: vandermolen on June 04, 2022, 02:11:11 AM
Maybe I should have another go with Elder (the complete set is only £30).

I'm in the process of listening to the Elder cycle complete for the first time.  I was genuinely hoping to be more impressed than I have been so far (Nos.7-9 not yet heard).  I like a lot of what Elder has done with the Halle and he is an interesting person when you hear him talk about music.  But too many of these symphonies suffer from fairly middle-of-the-road-good-but-no-cigar performances.  I did enjoy The Sea Symphony which has a large-sounding and engaged choir and good soloists.  Generally Elder seems to favour pretty "safe" tempi neither too fast or too slow.  The Pastoral was OK but I think Brabbins' recent was better.  Apart from anything else the solo soprano simply sings too loud and with an oddly offputting fast vibrato.  No.4 was pretty good - again well played but doesn't grab you by the throat.  No.5 has a lovely ROmanza and disappointing passacaglia and No.6 just bottles it from an underwhelming 1st movement, boring scherzo and just dull finale...... (By the way for No.6 I assume you know Handley's 1st recording);

the engineering is a bit harsh by modern standards but he really does attack the music.......

vandermolen

Quote from: Biffo on June 04, 2022, 02:58:58 AM
Sorry for the confusion, I have it a FLAC download and all the others as CDs. I looked at Amazon to see which symphonies Brabbins had recorded and obviously misread the webpage.

This is a second attempt at posting, hope it works this time.

Edit: The Elder/Halle album was featured on Radio 3 Record Review this morning and got a very favourable review from Andrew McGregor. He also described the complete Elder cycle as one of the best in recent years.
Interesting to know - I shall probably order it as its not much more expensive that the double CD featuring the Sinfonia Antartica and Symphony No.9.

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on June 04, 2022, 03:20:08 AM
I'm in the process of listening to the Elder cycle complete for the first time.  I was genuinely hoping to be more impressed than I have been so far (Nos.7-9 not yet heard).  I like a lot of what Elder has done with the Halle and he is an interesting person when you hear him talk about music.  But too many of these symphonies suffer from fairly middle-of-the-road-good-but-no-cigar performances.  I did enjoy The Sea Symphony which has a large-sounding and engaged choir and good soloists.  Generally Elder seems to favour pretty "safe" tempi neither too fast or too slow.  The Pastoral was OK but I think Brabbins' recent was better.  Apart from anything else the solo soprano simply sings too loud and with an oddly offputting fast vibrato.  No.4 was pretty good - again well played but doesn't grab you by the throat.  No.5 has a lovely ROmanza and disappointing passacaglia and No.6 just bottles it from an underwhelming 1st movement, boring scherzo and just dull finale...... (By the way for No.6 I assume you know Handley's 1st recording);

the engineering is a bit harsh by modern standards but he really does attack the music.......
I like that double album which features the best version (out of two) of the Prelude and Fugue. I thought that Handley's LPO version of A London Symphony (1936 version) was better than the Liverpool version on CFP but that the opposite was the case with Symphony No.6 - In my opinion you only have to compare the turbulent opening of the LPO and Liverpool versions to see what I mean. The Liverpool recording has much greater impact.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Biffo on June 04, 2022, 01:32:08 AMI have been collecting the Brabbins cycle at it was issued and while none of the issues were poor and I didn't find them outstanding. No 5 is due to be issued later this month and should be interesting given the stiff competition.

Brabbins already recorded the 5th and it was released in 2020. Could you be talking about the 6th? Also, I didn't see any announcement of this upcoming release. Could you provide a link where you found this announcement for this upcoming Brabbins recording?

Biffo

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 04, 2022, 06:01:41 AM
Brabbins already recorded the 5th and it was released in 2020. Could you be talking about the 6th? Also, I didn't see any announcement of this upcoming release. Could you provide a link where you found this announcement for this upcoming Brabbins recording?

I have already corrected that error, see above. I haven't seen any announcement either, I found it as a future release on Amazon.co.uk.