Vaughan Williams's Veranda

Started by karlhenning, April 12, 2007, 06:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: Biffo on June 04, 2022, 06:12:04 AM
I have already corrected that error, see above. I haven't seen any announcement either, I found it as a future release on Amazon.co.uk.

Again, a link please? I did a search for future releases under Vaughan Williams and found nothing.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 04, 2022, 06:01:41 AM
Brabbins already recorded the 5th and it was released in 2020. Could you be talking about the 6th? Also, I didn't see any announcement of this upcoming release. Could you provide a link where you found this announcement for this upcoming Brabbins recording?

there's no link but the latest Hyperion newsletter included in the "coming soon" section an image of Brabbins' Symphonies 6&8 and something else written/coupled on the cover that I can't decipher

Mirror Image

Quote from: Roasted Swan on June 04, 2022, 06:16:09 AM
there's no link but the latest Hyperion newsletter included in the "coming soon" section an image of Brabbins' Symphonies 6&8 and something else written/coupled on the cover that I can't decipher

Ah okay, thanks. Interesting. Can't wait for this new recording. The 8th is one of my favorites from RVW.

Biffo

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 04, 2022, 06:14:30 AM
Again, a link please? I did a search for future releases under Vaughan Williams and found nothing.

I just checked again and it has now disappeared, I didn't imagine it even if I misread it. We will just have to wait, other contributors think it is on the way.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: vandermolen on June 04, 2022, 04:10:57 AM
I like that double album which features the best version (out of two) of the Prelude and Fugue. I thought that Handley's LPO version of A London Symphony (1936 version) was better than the Liverpool version on CFP but that the opposite was the case with Symphony No.6 - In my opinion you only have to compare the turbulent opening of the LPO and Liverpool versions to see what I mean. The Liverpool recording has much greater impact.

I just dipped into the very beginning of Handley's RLPO No.6 you are quite right about the more impactful recording - but the spirit of the 2 versions is very similar (and better!) than Elder.

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on June 04, 2022, 06:40:53 AM
I just dipped into the very beginning of Handley's RLPO No.6 you are quite right about the more impactful recording - but the spirit of the 2 versions is very similar (and better!) than Elder.

Yes, I agree about No.2 although I marginally prefer the earlier (LPO) recording. Better is still is the Brabbins version of No.2 as he uses the 1920 version with the extended epilogue. Looking forward to the Brabbins versions of nos. 6 and 8.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Count me as being underwhelmed by all of Handley's recordings of this composer. He was let down especially by the poor sonics in his EMI cycle. I also just didn't think he had much to say in composer's music. Handley does better in repertoire that is more unknown or hasn't been well-served on disc.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 04, 2022, 07:31:13 AM
Count me as being underwhelmed by all of Handley's recordings of this composer. He was let down especially by the poor sonics in his EMI cycle. I also just didn't think he had much to say in composer's music. Handley does better in repertoire that is more unknown or hasn't been well-served on disc.
I rather agree with you John, thinking of his fabulous recordings of the Rootham symphonies, for example, or those by Bantock, Clifford and Bainton.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

ritter

This might be of interest to fans of RVW (although I suspect many will already own all the recordings included in the set)

Announced at jpc for September 30th. Some details here.

Maestro267

Buy the box set and the kind, the stuff you've bought before a million times

calyptorhynchus

Just listening to VW's 8th, and suddenly in the Cavatina movement the second subject made me think 'this sounds very much like Finzi, doesn't it?' (melody and harmony).

This is the thematic material a little way in, before the violin solo, which is recapitulated in the coda.

I wonder if VW was thinking of his friend GF when he wrote those passages.
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on June 04, 2022, 08:08:13 AM
I rather agree with you John, thinking of his fabulous recordings of the Rootham symphonies, for example, or those by Bantock, Clifford and Bainton.

I like his Bax, too, although I don't listen to Bax too often. :-\ But, yes, a BIG thumbs up for this Bantock. I also liked his recording of Bliss' A Colour Symphony. Beautiful.

Mirror Image

Quote from: ritter on June 04, 2022, 08:31:18 AM
This might be of interest to fans of RVW (although I suspect many will already own all the recordings included in the set)

Announced at jpc for September 30th. Some details here.

I probably own 99.9% of its contents already, although I suspect our Jeffrey may be picking it up as kind of a memento for the composer's 150th Anniversary. If I can get it at a discounted price, I may pick it up as I do rather like these boxes that Warner have been doing.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 04, 2022, 08:13:56 PM
I probably own 99.9% of its contents already, although I suspect our Jeffrey may be picking it up as kind of a memento for the composer's 150th Anniversary. If I can get it at a discounted price, I may pick it up as I do rather like these boxes that Warner have been doing.
The 'New Collectors Edition' looks rather like the 'Old Collectors Edition!'  ;D

I have the Hickox/Davis box mainly for the recorded interviews but may give this one a miss. May just get the Elder 7 and 9, although the extract from No.9 broadcast yesterday didn't sound anything special to me.

vandermolen

Quote from: Biffo on June 04, 2022, 02:58:58 AM
Sorry for the confusion, I have it a FLAC download and all the others as CDs. I looked at Amazon to see which symphonies Brabbins had recorded and obviously misread the webpage.

This is a second attempt at posting, hope it works this time.

Edit: The Elder/Halle album was featured on Radio 3 Record Review this morning and got a very favourable review from Andrew McGregor. He also described the complete Elder cycle as one of the best in recent years.
Thanks for the Elder alert. I listened to the relevant section on BBC Sounds yesterday with much interest.

Biffo

Quote from: vandermolen on June 05, 2022, 12:02:56 AM
Thanks for the Elder alert. I listened to the relevant section on BBC Sounds yesterday with much interest.

My copy is arriving today and the Amazon price has dropped from £19.63 to £16.36.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on June 05, 2022, 12:00:53 AM
The 'New Collectors Edition' looks rather like the 'Old Collectors Edition!'  ;D

I have the Hickox/Davis box mainly for the recorded interviews but may give this one a miss. May just get the Elder 7 and 9, although the extract from No.9 broadcast yesterday didn't sound anything special to me.

Ah, but the sleeve art might be rather attractive and you'll find yourself unable to resist. ;) I don't think I've seen a shot of this box set with all of its' contents.

JBS

Quote from: vandermolen on June 05, 2022, 12:00:53 AM

I have the OG Collector's Edition

It seems from the performer names in the JPC listing, the new version has almost the same recordings. I suppose if the packaging is consistent with Warner's recent trends, I might get it. The OG set has paper sleeves...

I have 1 or 2 installments of Elder's cycle. They did not impress me.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

vers la flamme

Earlier today I listened to the Menuhin/RPO recording of the 5th symphony that was discussed fairly recently in this thread. I liked it a lot. Very airy kind of performance which is fitting for that work.

Mirror Image

The Hurwitz ripped apart Elder's RVW recently and this is an opinion of his I whole-heartedly share:

https://www.youtube.com/v/jrrABqNJBYE

I could do without his diatribes against the British press, which are well documented, but the general jest of what he's saying about Elder I certainly agree with, although as I mentioned many times already, I do like his performance of A Pastoral Symphony. Something that is frustrating about this new RVW Elder box set is there aren't any of the couplings that originally appeared on the individual releases found in this set. What the hell? Lazy record label.

The box set in question: