Vaughan Williams's Veranda

Started by karlhenning, April 12, 2007, 06:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biffo

Quote from: vandermolen on June 23, 2022, 11:07:13 AM
Yes, you'd have to take Previn's No.3  ;D
Which Barbirolli recordings are you referring to; PYE or EMI?

I have both recordings of No 2 (duplicated in the Warner Barbirolli box); performance-wise I marginally prefer the earlier (originally PYE but I first bought it a remastered download from Pristine Classical) version though I listen to the later EMI stereo recording far more often; I also prefer the second movement in the EMI disc.

I have both versions of No 5 but usually listen to the second EMI recording. Most recently I listened to No 5 from Boult (HMV/EMI) on LP.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 23, 2022, 07:58:49 AM
Just bought:

This will complete my Elder RVW collection. I may have to go through his cycle again and see what sticks and what doesn't. As I mentioned before, A Pastoral Symphony is a gorgeous performance and one of the best versions I've heard of this symphony. His Tallis Fantasia and Five Variants on 'Dives and Lazarus' were also incredibly well-performed.
Very nice John. I'm still debating whether to get that one or the boxed set.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Biffo on June 24, 2022, 01:45:51 AM
I have both recordings of No 2 (duplicated in the Warner Barbirolli box); performance-wise I marginally prefer the earlier (originally PYE but I first bought it a remastered download from Pristine Classical) version though I listen to the later EMI stereo recording far more often; I also prefer the second movement in the EMI disc.

I have both versions of No 5 but usually listen to the second EMI recording. Most recently I listened to No 5 from Boult (HMV/EMI) on LP.
I marginally prefer the more recent recordings as well.
I think that the original plan was for Barbirolli and Boult to share the EMI (Stereo) cycle between them but Barbirolli's death in 1970 resulted in Boult recording the complete cycle himself.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on June 24, 2022, 04:27:00 AM
Very nice John. I'm still debating whether to get that one or the boxed set.

Looks like you went with the box set. ;D

vandermolen

vandermolen

Roasted Swan is right - this is a beautifully presented boxed set (for £30.00). You also get the individual CDs encased in cardboard sleeves featuring the original CD release images. The booklet, as RS pointed out, is also nicely produced featuring four photos of the composer, with or without Barbirolli, most of which were new to me. Also I noted with interest the signatures of Ursula Wood (soon to be Ursula VW) and Roy Douglas on the reproduced image of the score of Sinfonia Antartica. I'm now listening to 'A Sea Symphony' for the first time - seems like a very fine performance notwithstanding a rather shrill and in-your-face soprano soloist:

Biffo

Quote from: vandermolen on June 25, 2022, 06:27:38 AM
Roasted Swan is right - this is a beautifully presented boxed set (for £30.00). You also get the individual CDs encased in cardboard sleeves featuring the original CD release images. The booklet, as RS pointed out, is also nicely produced featuring four photos of the composer, with or without Barbirolli, most of which were new to me. Also I noted with interest the signatures of Ursula Wood (soon to be Ursula VW) and Roy Douglas on the reproduced image of the score of Sinfonia Antartica. I'm now listening to 'A Sea Symphony' for the first time - seems like a very fine performance notwithstanding a rather shrill and in-your-face soprano soloist:

I didn't find the soprano shrill just given to too much vibrato; she is at times 'in-your-face' but that might be a matter of taste.

For a real 'in-your-face' soprano you should here Renée Flynn in the composer's own recording (Somm) from 1936  - the opening really does rattle the window-frames. I am not sure how deaf RVW was by then, perhaps he didn't notice.

vandermolen

Quote from: Biffo on June 25, 2022, 07:36:51 AM
I didn't find the soprano shrill just given to too much vibrato; she is at times 'in-your-face' but that might be a matter of taste.

For a real 'in-your-face' soprano you should here Renée Flynn in the composer's own recording (Somm) from 1936  - the opening really does rattle the window-frames. I am not sure how deaf RVW was by then, perhaps he didn't notice.
Yes, 'too much vibrato' is more accurate; I found it really off-putting, although it did not stop me enjoying the symphony.

'Composer's own recording'  :o
I wasn't aware that there was a recording of VW conducting 'A Sea Symphony'. Do you mean Dona Nobis Pacem?

Roasted Swan

Quote from: vandermolen on June 25, 2022, 08:39:55 AM
Yes, 'too much vibrato' is more accurate; I found it really off-putting, although it did not stop me enjoying the symphony.

'Composers own recording'  :o
I wasn't aware that there was a recording of VW conducting 'A Sea Symphony'. Do you mean Dona Nobis Pacem?

Here's where personal taste is so different - I find her singing vibrant and alive.  yes the vibrato is pronounced but its also tightly controlled and focussed around the pitch centre of the note.  Teresa Cahill singing on the Gibson/SNO/Chandos/Elgar/Spirit of England sings with similar attack.

I have much more of a problem with vocal vibrato when the voice "flaps" and you have no real sense of where the pitch lies - the soprano who makes me cringe for that is Jeanne-Michèle Charbonnet who sang on the Foulds World Requiem performance/recording that I know both you and I attended - she is AWFUL!

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on June 25, 2022, 09:50:31 AM
Here's where personal taste is so different - I find her singing vibrant and alive.  yes the vibrato is pronounced but its also tightly controlled and focussed around the pitch centre of the note.  Teresa Cahill singing on the Gibson/SNO/Chandos/Elgar/Spirit of England sings with similar attack.

I have much more of a problem with vocal vibrato when the voice "flaps" and you have no real sense of where the pitch lies - the soprano who makes me cringe for that is Jeanne-Michèle Charbonnet who sang on the Foulds World Requiem performance/recording that I know both you and I attended - she is AWFUL!
I'd not noticed that but it's about time I heard that work again so I'll look out for it.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on June 25, 2022, 06:27:38 AM

Nice, Jeffrey. 8) I suppose it wouldn't hurt for me to revisit the Elder cycle. I wrote a scathing review of it on Amazon, but, in hindsight, perhaps I'm just being too harsh here. I generally like Elder's conducting. His Elgar is fantastic for example.

Biffo

Quote from: vandermolen on June 25, 2022, 08:39:55 AM

'Composers own recording'  :o

Yes I do! Sorry wasn't thinking the post through properly, didn't check it before hitting the button

Lisztianwagner

I've recently listened to all Vaughan Williams' symphonies, on the Boult box set, besides Elder's recordings of the Pastoral Symphony, 4th, 5th and Sinfonia Antartica (on youtube) for a comparison, after a long time I didn't deal with those works. I admit I was struck more than I had thought by the beauty of those compositions, Boult is an great conductor and an excellent interpreter of Vaughan Williams' music; he handled instruments, dynamics and rhythms very well. I appreciated all of them, but I particularly enjoyed the Sea Symphony (very glorious and powerfully emotional), London Symphony (darker toned, meditative and of rich orchestral colour), the Pastoral Symphony (somberly poetical and evocative), and especially the Sinfonia Antartica, that is a very captivating work and beautifully depicting the melancholy, mysterious and tragic atmospheres of the subject. Elder's interpretations are terribly good too in my opinion, maybe just the Moderato pesante in the Pastoral is a bit too fast as tempo, but compelling anyway; I'll provably go on with his other recordings to complete the set and have a better opinion.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

vandermolen

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on June 27, 2022, 03:45:43 AM
I've recently listened to all Vaughan Williams' symphonies, on the Boult box set, besides Elder's recordings of the Pastoral Symphony, 4th, 5th and Sinfonia Antartica (on youtube) for a comparison, after a long time I didn't deal with those works. I admit I was struck more than I had thought by the beauty of those compositions, Boult is an great conductor and an excellent interpreter of Vaughan Williams' music; he handled instruments, dynamics and rhythms very well. I appreciated all of them, but I particularly enjoyed the Sea Symphony (very glorious and powerfully emotional), London Symphony (darker toned, meditative and of rich orchestral colour), the Pastoral Symphony (somberly poetical and evocative), and especially the Sinfonia Antartica, that is a very captivating work and beautifully depicting the melancholy, mysterious and tragic atmospheres of the subject. Elder's interpretations are terribly good too in my opinion, maybe just the Moderato pesante in the Pastoral is a bit too fast as tempo, but compelling anyway; I'll provably go on with his other recordings to complete the set and have a better opinion.
Boult recorded the VW symphonies twice, for Decca (and Everest for No.9) and for EMI/Warner. I assume that you are referring to the latter set (EMI). Boult conducted the premieres of symphonies 3,4 and 6 and had a special authority with VW. I'd recommend Elder's excellent recording of 'Job'.

Karl Henning

Nice!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on June 27, 2022, 06:14:45 AM
Boult recorded the VW symphonies twice, for Decca (and Everest for No.9) and for EMI/Warner. I assume that you are referring to the latter set (EMI). Boult conducted the premieres of symphonies 3,4 and 6 and had a special authority with VW. I'd recommend Elder's excellent recording of 'Job'.

Job was dedicated to him as well. Not only RVW, for me Boult is the last word for Elgar and Holst too.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on June 27, 2022, 07:20:38 AM
Job was dedicated to him as well. Not only RVW, for me Boult is the last word for Elgar and Holst too.
I agree and arguably the finest Moeran Symphony as well.

Mirror Image

It's nice to see praise for Boult and he was, indeed, one of the finest interpreters of RVW and Elgar for example. But, thankfully, he's not the only voice in this music. I couldn't imagine being without Previn, Thomson, Hickox et. al. in RVW for example. Since I've received the last installment of the RVW Elder series today, I'll be giving this cycle a fresh listen today (and parts of tomorrow), so if I feel compelled, I'll post some impressions here.

Mirror Image

This is great to read, Ilaria. 8)

I do want to write a few things in response to what you wrote, I cannot imagine my life without RVW's music. He was one of the first composers I ever got into (I got into Sibelius and Nielsen around this time as well) and he spoke to me much more immediately than any composer I've encountered. It's like I felt him in everything I heard. The passion, atmospheric beauty and lyricism of his music is what drew me in first. As time wore on, I have explored so many other composers' music, but I always come back to RVW at some point or another.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 27, 2022, 08:14:57 AM
This is great to read, Ilaria. 8)

I do want to write a few things in response to what you wrote, I cannot imagine my life without RVW's music. He was one of the first composers I ever got into (I got into Sibelius and Nielsen around this time as well) and he spoke to me much more immediately than any composer I've encountered. It's like I felt him in everything I heard. The passion, atmospheric beauty and lyricism of his music is what drew me in first. As time wore on, I have explored so many other composers' music, but I always come back to RVW at some point or another.
Very nicely put John. That is largely my experience as well.