Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Biffo on October 12, 2022, 07:43:42 AM
Ralph Vaughan Williams (1872 - 1958)

Overture The Wasps
Fantasia on Greensleeves
Serenade to Music - version for orchestra, chorus & four soloists
Towards the Unknown Region

Sir Malcolm Sargent conducting the London Symphony Orchestra with chorus (unnamed) and soloists

This was the content of the first ever LP I bought and so the start of my RVW journey.
A famous old LP - although I have to say that it's largely a collection of my least favourite VW works!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Biffo on October 12, 2022, 07:43:42 AM
Ralph Vaughan Williams (1872 - 1958)

Overture The Wasps
Fantasia on Greensleeves
Serenade to Music - version for orchestra, chorus & four soloists
Towards the Unknown Region

Sir Malcolm Sargent conducting the London Symphony Orchestra with chorus (unnamed) and soloists

This was the content of the first ever LP I bought and so the start of my RVW journey.
Sweet!  :)

Quote from: vandermolen on October 12, 2022, 08:57:13 AM
A famous old LP - although I have to say that it's largely a collection of my least favourite VW works!
Must admit that I'm not a big fan of the Wasps overture (maybe because I'm allergic to their stings?).

PD

Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 12, 2022, 09:05:26 AM
Sweet!  :)
Must admit that I'm not a big fan of the Wasps overture (maybe because I'm allergic to their stings?).

PD
Haha - funnily enough I heard the Wasps live recently and really enjoyed it. I prefer the Serenade to Music without all the singing :o
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Martin Brabbyns talking about the VW symphonies today (may not be available outside the UK)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0017629

Karl Henning

Quote from: vandermolen on October 12, 2022, 01:18:58 PM
Martin Brabbyns talking about the VW symphonies today (may not be available outside the UK)

Thanks! Listening now.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

relm1

Fascinating idea of a first movement in search of a theme.  So Brabbins describes No. 8's first movement.  I will apply that to my own music too!  Wonderful traversal of a major symphonist.  This talk made me realize that No. 6's enigmatic ending is closely tied to No. 1's ending.

vandermolen

vandermolen

Quote from: relm1 on October 12, 2022, 05:12:30 PM
Fascinating idea of a first movement in search of a theme.  So Brabbins describes No. 8's first movement.  I will apply that to my own music too!  Wonderful traversal of a major symphonist.  This talk made me realize that No. 6's enigmatic ending is closely tied to No. 1's ending.
Yes, that really interested me Karim as did his comparison of the opening of No.1 'A Sea Symphony' and the ending of No.9 - as if Vaughan Williams had come full circle. I'm glad that the programme is available outside the UK. I thought that Brabbins came across well. I was interested in the choice of recordings including Andrew Davis's Bergen account of No.7, Previn's No.4 (considered by some to be the weakest in his cycle), Brabbins's own No.5 (excellent), Boult's EMI No.6, Jurowski's No.8, Elder's 'A Sea Symphony' etc.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: relm1 on October 12, 2022, 05:12:30 PM

to the bolded quote - that is the composer's own description of this movement

Biffo

Quote from: Roasted Swan on October 12, 2022, 08:00:20 AM
The original LP credits Peter Gellhorn as Chorus master - he directed the BBC Chorus from 1961 (this LP was first released in 1964) so I guess it was the BBC Chorus on this recording (RVW helped get Gellhorn released from detention on the Isle of Man during the War!)

Yes - the Angel listing for this LP on Discogs list it as;

Chorus Master – Peter Gellhorn (tracks: A1, B1)
Chorus [Uncredited] – BBC Symphony Chorus (tracks: A1, B1)
Composed By – Ralph Vaughan Williams
Conductor – Sir Malcolm Sargent
Orchestra – The London Symphony Orchestra
Producer [Uncredited] – Victor Olof
Soloist, Bass Vocals – Trevor Anthony (tracks: A1)
Soloist, Contralto Vocals – Marjorie Thomas (tracks: A1)
Soloist, Soprano Vocals – Elsie Morison (tracks: A1)
Soloist, Tenor Vocals – Duncan Robertson (3) (tracks: A1)

Thanks for the info, not all of it is on the CD release and I no longer have the LP.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on October 12, 2022, 09:18:37 AM
Haha - funnily enough I heard the Wasps live recently and really enjoyed it. I prefer the Serenade to Music without all the singing :o
I'll have to see if I have a recording of the Serenade without the singers--think that I do.

Thank you for mentioning that BBC Radio program.  I just saw your posting about it and clicked on it.  It's available for another 29 days to listen to.

PD

Pohjolas Daughter

Peter Power Pop

I'm in Australia and it plays A-OK.

vandermolen

vandermolen

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0017dqr

Yesterday there was another programme, about the composer's relations with his two wives Adeline and Ursula (with whom I communicated by letter a few times). He was married to Adeline for 50 years, but she remains a somewhat shadowy figure. I heard a bit of the programme on the car radio yesterday but didn't hear it all. There are some quite extended relevant musical extracts. I'll try to listen properly over the weekend.

Roasted Swan

I've been listening to SOMM's Vaughan Williams Live Vol.2 disc;

The version of "Thanksgiving for Victory" is important as its the performance that was recorded/broadcast to celebrate victory in Europe so its a historical document aside from any musical merits
Serenade to Music is in the 4 soloists and chorus version and was broadcast on the inaugural evening of The Third Programme (good performance but the worst audio on the disc so not as interesting)
Job - this is a stunning live performance - very dramatic and powerful.  Very well played by the Boston SO (Boult also conducted this work with the Vienna PO, Concertgebouw & Chicago!).  Apparently the original tapes were very poor and suffered from pitch variations.  Restoration engineer/wizard Lani Spahr has done a tremendous job.  There is still some distortion and carrier wave interference but this is now very listenable and the performance carries the day.  This was recorded only 2 months before Boult's first studio recording of the work with the BBC SO for EMI.  That's the only Boult version I don't know but I'm guessing they are similar.  Love the cover image - RVW & Boult on the last day of the Decca sessions for Symphony 1 in 1954 (same image on Simeone's new - excellent - book).

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on October 13, 2022, 11:22:56 PM
I've been listening to SOMM's Vaughan Williams Live Vol.2 disc;

The version of "Thanksgiving for Victory" is important as its the performance that was recorded/broadcast to celebrate victory in Europe so its a historical document aside from any musical merits
Serenade to Music is in the 4 soloists and chorus version and was broadcast on the inaugural evening of The Third Programme (good performance but the worst audio on the disc so not as interesting)
Job - this is a stunning live performance - very dramatic and powerful.  Very well played by the Boston SO (Boult also conducted this work with the Vienna PO, Concertgebouw & Chicago!).  Apparently the original tapes were very poor and suffered from pitch variations.  Restoration engineer/wizard Lani Spahr has done a tremendous job.  There is still some distortion and carrier wave interference but this is now very listenable and the performance carries the day.  This was recorded only 2 months before Boult's first studio recording of the work with the BBC SO for EMI.  That's the only Boult version I don't know but I'm guessing they are similar.  Love the cover image - RVW & Boult on the last day of the Decca sessions for Symphony 1 in 1954 (same image on Simeone's new - excellent - book).
How come you always receive these CDs before I do!  ;D
Most interesting, especially re. 'Thanksgiving for Victory' and 'Job'. Of course, Job was dedicated to Boult so he probably recorded it more than any other VW work. Yes, great cover image. It also features on an old book about letters to and from Boult.

vandermolen

Just noticed this - includes Boult's complete Decca VW symphonic cycle + Job, Old King Cole in their original sleeves:

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on October 14, 2022, 12:15:04 AM
Just noticed this - includes Boult's complete Decca VW symphonic cycle + Job, Old King Cole in their original sleeves:

Do I hear the wheels spinning in your head:  "I must buy this set.  I need it desperately!  But where will I fit it in my man cave?!  No matter, I will find the room!"?

I have this set of his early recordings of the symphonies:

PD

Pohjolas Daughter

Roasted Swan

Quote from: vandermolen on October 14, 2022, 12:15:04 AM

Just to tempt you further - this set also includes the NEVER BEFORE RELEASED Holst recordings by Boult ...... go on ...... press that order button ......... you know you want to ........need to ........... (not that I'm a devil sitting on your left shoulder or anything......... >:D