Vaughan Williams's Veranda

Started by karlhenning, April 12, 2007, 06:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biffo

Quote from: Roasted Swan on October 13, 2022, 11:22:56 PM
I've been listening to SOMM's Vaughan Williams Live Vol.2 disc;

The version of "Thanksgiving for Victory" is important as its the performance that was recorded/broadcast to celebrate victory in Europe so its a historical document aside from any musical merit
Serenade to Music is in the 4 soloists and chorus version and was broadcast on the inaugural evening of The Third Programme (good performance but the worst audio on the disc so not as interesting)
Job - this is a stunning live performance - very dramatic and powerful.  Very well played by the Boston SO (Boult also conducted this work with the Vienna PO, Concertgebouw & Chicago!).  Apparently the original tapes were very poor and suffered from pitch variations.  Restoration engineer/wizard Lani Spahr has done a tremendous job.  There is still some distortion and carrier wave interference but this is now very listenable and the performance carries the day.  This was recorded only 2 months before Boult's first studio recording of the work with the BBC SO for EMI.  That's the only Boult version I don't know but I'm guessing they are similar.  Love the cover image - RVW & Boult on the last day of the Decca sessions for Symphony 1 in 1954 (same image on Simeone's new - excellent - book).

Am I correct in assuming that this is the same performance that is on the Dutton disc from Vaughan Williams' attic - Boult/BBCSO, Elsie Suddaby (soprano), Valentine Dyall (speaker) & childrens choruses - recorded 15/11/44?

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Biffo on October 14, 2022, 02:17:29 AM
Am I correct in assuming that this is the same performance that is on the Dutton disc from Vaughan Williams' attic - Boult/BBCSO, Elsie Suddaby (soprano), Valentine Dyall (speaker) & childrens choruses - recorded 15/11/44?

correct - but it will be a new/different mastering...

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 14, 2022, 01:01:14 AM
Do I hear the wheels spinning in your head:  "I must buy this set.  I need it desperately!  But where will I fit it in my man cave?!  No matter, I will find the room!"?

I have this set of his early recordings of the symphonies:

PD
You understand my thinking process very well PD.  8)
I also have the remastered Decca set and I suspect that the only advantage to acquiring the new Boult box is that you get the symphonies set in mini versions of their original sleeves. However, for someone like myself, this is not without considerable appeal. Also, you get one of the best versions of Bax's Tintagel, and some classic Holst and Arnold recordings as well. A pity that Boult's LPO recording of Walton's First Symphony is not included (my brother had the LP) but that was recorded for Pye and not Decca.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on October 14, 2022, 05:26:30 AM
correct
Interesting. I have the 'VW's attic' CD as well. It has a nice 'Old King Cole' as well.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

JBS

Quote from: vandermolen on October 14, 2022, 06:55:23 AM
You understand my thinking process very well PD.  8)
I also have the remastered Decca set and I suspect that the only advantage to acquiring the new Boult box is that you get the symphonies set in mini versions of their original sleeves. However, for someone like myself, this is not without considerable appeal. Also, you get one of the best versions of Bax's Tintagel, and some classic Holst and Arnold recordings as well. A pity that Boult's LPO recording of Walton's First Symphony is not included (my brother had the LP) but that was recorded for Pye and not Decca.

Is this the Walton recording?

The LP had a nice cover (imo)

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

vandermolen

I'm enjoying this CD ('a Vaughan Williams Hotchpotch') which was released on the composer's 150th birthday earlier this week. The organ version of 'The March Past of the Kitchen Utensils' from 'The Wasps Suite' is a highlight - a hoot!

vandermolen

Quote from: JBS on October 14, 2022, 11:58:11 AM
Is this the Walton recording?

The LP had a nice cover (imo)

Yes, it is Jeffrey. That's the LP that my brother had. You can also find it in this impressive transfer:

Biffo

Quote from: vandermolen on October 14, 2022, 11:58:54 AM
I'm enjoying this CD ('a Vaughan Williams Hotchpotch') which was released on the composer's 150th birthday earlier this week. The organ version of 'The March Past of the Kitchen Utensils' from 'The Wasps Suite' is a highlight - a hoot!

I will have to try and find that on Spotify, meanwhile, listening to an organ transcription of The Wasps Overture played by David Briggs on Albion Records album Bursts of Acclamation

aligreto

Vaughan Williams: Symphony No. 2 [Barbirolli]

The opening movement is a terrific kaleidoscope of sound which was well marshalled by Barbirolli. The movement finishes in a terrific blaze of glory.
The slow movement is a much more sedate affair but it is very atmospheric, intense yet sensitive presentation.
The third movement is a strong portrayal of this movement. It is energetic and it moves along very well. Barbirolli gives a very good account of this music's scoring.
The final movement is a strong but somewhat dark version of this movement. It is also quite an assertive and powerful presentation with Barbirolli unleashing the full power of Vaughan Williams' emotional writing.

vandermolen

Quote from: aligreto on October 15, 2022, 08:00:19 AM
Vaughan Williams: Symphony No. 2 [Barbirolli]

The opening movement is a terrific kaleidoscope of sound which was well marshalled by Barbirolli. The movement finishes in a terrific blaze of glory.
The slow movement is a much more sedate affair but it is very atmospheric, intense yet sensitive presentation.
The third movement is a strong portrayal of this movement. It is energetic and it moves along very well. Barbirolli gives a very good account of this music's scoring.
The final movement is a strong but somewhat dark version of this movement. It is also quite an assertive and powerful presentation with Barbirolli unleashing the full power of Vaughan Williams' emotional writing.
I think that it's a fine performance Fergus. I seem to recall that there was some criticism of the scherzo being controversially slow but I rather like the performance.

aligreto

Quote from: vandermolen on October 15, 2022, 02:27:27 PM
I think that it's a fine performance Fergus. I seem to recall that there was some criticism of the scherzo being controversially slow but I rather like the performance.

I rather like the performance too, Jeffrey, and if we like it that is all that matters. I think that Barbirolli did a fine job here.

vandermolen

Quote from: aligreto on October 15, 2022, 02:45:43 PM
I rather like the performance too, Jeffrey, and if we like it that is all that matters. I think that Barbirolli did a fine job here.
As he did with his second recording of the 5th Symphony Fergus (one of my first encounters with his symphonies as my brother had the LP). I think that the original plan was for Barbirolli and Boult to share a VW symphony cycle (for EMI) but Barbirolli's death in 1970 (having only recorded the 2nd and 5th symphonies for EMI) put an end to that idea and Boult ended up recording a complete cycle himself.

Karl Henning

Quote from: vandermolen on October 13, 2022, 10:32:47 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0017dqr

Yesterday there was another programme, about the composer's relations with his two wives Adeline and Ursula (with whom I communicated by letter a few times). He was married to Adeline for 50 years, but she remains a somewhat shadowy figure. I heard a bit of the programme on the car radio yesterday but didn't hear it all. There are some quite extended relevant musical extracts. I'll try to listen properly over the weekend.

Thanks some more!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vandermolen

From WAYLTN thread:
Vaughan Williams: Symphony No.6 LPO Boult
This is the Pristine remastering of the greatest performance (IMO) of VW's greatest symphony (IMO).
I'm enormously attached to this performance partly for nostalgic/sentimental reasons as I impulse bought it in 1971 (aged c.16) from W H Smiths in the Earl's Court Road on my way home from school and it was a huge turning point for me in relation to classical music generally and Vaughan Williams in particular. I think that I bought that particular LP (Decca Eclipse Label - see below) as I was curious because it featured a 'short speech from the composer' - thanking Boult and the orchestra 'including the lady harpist'. I have to say that the Pristine CD sounds a bit shrill to me. I'm looking forward to comparing this version with the same recording in the Decca remastered VW symphonies boxed set and the Boult British Music Eloquence set.
PS The Epilogue is much louder than on my old LP (when I first played the LP I thought that something was wrong as I could hardly hear anything in the last movement). Boult takes this movement much slower than everyone else (and more slowly than the score indicates) but he had VW in the studio with him, who clearly thought it was right as evidenced in his short speech of thanks to Boult and the orchestra.

vandermolen

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on October 16, 2022, 11:45:01 AM
From WAYLTN thread:
Vaughan Williams: Symphony No.6 LPO Boult
This is the Pristine remastering of the greatest performance (IMO) of VW's greatest symphony (IMO).
I'm enormously attached to this performance partly for nostalgic/sentimental reasons as I impulse bought it in 1971 (aged c.16) from W H Smiths in the Earl's Court Road on my way home from school and it was a huge turning point for me in relation to classical music generally and Vaughan Williams in particular. I think that I bought that particular LP (Decca Eclipse Label - see below) as I was curious because it featured a 'short speech from the composer' - thanking Boult and the orchestra 'including the lady harpist'. I have to say that the Pristine CD sounds a bit shrill to me. I'm looking forward to comparing this version with the same recording in the Decca remastered VW symphonies boxed set and the Boult British Music Eloquence set.
PS The Epilogue is much louder than on my old LP (when I first played the LP I thought that something was wrong as I could hardly hear anything in the last movement). Boult takes this movement much slower than everyone else (and more slowly than the score indicates) but he had VW in the studio with him, who clearly thought it was right as evidenced in his short speech of thanks to Boult and the orchestra.
Looking forward to hearing your reviews of the two.

I recall reading some rather strange things about the three of theirs relationship (VW, Adeline and Ursula) ....I'll leave it at that.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 17, 2022, 01:20:56 AM
Looking forward to hearing your reviews of the two.

I recall reading some rather strange things about the three of theirs relationship (VW, Adeline and Ursula) ....I'll leave it at that.

PD

It was a sort-of ménage a trois. More information has come out in recent biographies/documentaries.

relm1

Quote from: vandermolen on October 17, 2022, 10:49:24 PM
It was a sort-of ménage a trois. More information has come out in recent biographies/documentaries.

Good for him.  As an old man, working his magic and still having a good ol' time.  :laugh: 8)

vandermolen

Quote from: relm1 on October 18, 2022, 05:32:48 AM
Good for him.  As an old man, working his magic and still having a good ol' time.  :laugh: 8)
;D

Spotted Horses

Quote from: vandermolen on October 17, 2022, 10:49:24 PM

That's the same thing I don't need to know about. Musicians produces music. I am not interested in anything else they do, unless I feel that my purchases might support abusive behavior. That is not a factor if the musician is no longer living.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington