Vaughan Williams's Veranda

Started by karlhenning, April 12, 2007, 06:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr_espansiva

Quote from: vandermolen on May 19, 2008, 03:27:27 AM
Yes, Thomson is very underrated. Agree that Handley is very consistent but not my first choice in any symphony...well, maybe No 9 for those harps at the end :)

I haven't heard 5 done better than by Handley, but then I haven't heard quite a few of those mentioned. Let me rephrase - I can't imagine it being done better than by Handley ...
Espansiva - the Inextinguishable desire for chocolate.

vandermolen

BBC Music Magazine is featuring Vaughan Williams next month (not the current issue). The cover CD will be Symphony No 5 with Andrew Davis conducting. On BBC 4 (UK TV) this Friday (23rd May) there is a documentary "The loves of Vaughan Williams", apparently about his relationship with his two wives, Adeline and Ursula.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Dundonnell

Quote from: mr_espansiva on May 20, 2008, 06:08:48 AM
I haven't heard 5 done better than by Handley, but then I haven't heard quite a few of those mentioned. Let me rephrase - I can't imagine it being done better than by Handley ...

Yes, I too think that Handley in No. 5 is a great performance.

Quote from: vandermolen on May 20, 2008, 07:33:32 AM
BBC Music Magazine is featuring Vaughan Williams next month (not the current issue). The cover CD will be Symphony No 5 with Andrew Davis conducting. On BBC 4 (UK TV) this Friday (23rd May) there is a documentary "The loves of Vaughan Williams", apparently about his relationship with his two wives, Adeline and Ursula.

Thanks for this info', Jeffrey.

sound67

BBC Music Magazine is featuring Vaughan Williams next month (not the current issue). The cover CD will be Symphony No 5 with Andrew Davis conducting.

If that's the same performance as in his cycle, then forget it. It was very weak.
"Vivaldi didn't compose 500 concertos. He composed the same concerto 500 times" - Igor Stravinsky

"Mozart is a menace to musical progress, a relic of rituals that were losing relevance in his own time and are meaningless to ours." - Norman Lebrecht

vandermolen

Quote from: sound67 on May 20, 2008, 10:47:12 PM
If that's the same performance as in his cycle, then forget it. It was very weak.

Probably not as they tend to issue live recordings rather than previously commercially issued discs (although not always). I agree with you that it wasn't a good performance. The cycle did not live up to the promise of  the great recording of Symphony 6, which was the first issue in that series.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Thom

Does BBC 4 offer the option of internet replay? Unfortunately my cable only provides BBS 1 and 2.

Th.

vandermolen

Quote from: Thom on May 21, 2008, 12:47:57 AM
Does BBC 4 offer the option of internet replay? Unfortunately my cable only provides BBS 1 and 2.

Th.

Yes, I think BBC iPlayer does this if you look at the BBC website.

Thom

Thank you! I hope this documentary will make it to the playlist. Didn't know about the iPlayer. Great!

Th.

vandermolen

Quote from: Thom on May 21, 2008, 02:33:51 AM
Thank you! I hope this documentary will make it to the playlist. Didn't know about the iPlayer. Great!

Th.

If you click on the link below you will see the i Player on the right hand side.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/

Jeffrey

J.Z. Herrenberg

A pity this only works for UK residents.  :'(
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

vandermolen

Quote from: Jezetha on May 21, 2008, 03:16:17 AM

Yes, but serves you right for suggesting that Wellesz's "English Symphony" is (I quote) "a critique". Actually it is a loyal tribute to the realm of Her Majesty  ;)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: vandermolen on May 21, 2008, 03:20:24 AM
Yes, but serves you right for suggesting that Wellesz's "English Symphony" is (I quote) "a critique". Actually it is a loyal tribute to the realm of Her Majesty  ;)

;D
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Thom

This is very unfortunate   :'(

Hector

Quote from: Jezetha on May 21, 2008, 03:16:17 AM

Because we pay for it through our TV licences and quite expensive it is too. Almost the cost of a gallon of petrol ;D

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Hector on May 21, 2008, 04:32:33 AM
Because we pay for it through our TV licences and quite expensive it is too. Almost the cost of a gallon of petrol.

"The loves of Vaughan Williams" = gallon of petrol.

Seems fair.

Dundonnell

Quote from: vandermolen on May 21, 2008, 03:20:24 AM

Hmm! I don't know about that :) Wellesz was making a small effort to assimilate himself to the country to which he had fled after the Anschluss. According to those who studied with him at Oxford Wellesz never showed any great interest in the works of contemporary native British composers, retaining instead his debt to the music of Bruckner, Mahler and Schoenberg. He was the great authority on Byzantine music. Now there's a whole world we have yet to explore!!! :)

Tapio Dimitriyevich Shostakovich

Quote from: Hector on May 21, 2008, 04:32:33 AMBecause we pay for it through our TV licences and quite expensive it is too. Almost the cost of a gallon of petrol ;D
We also do, but the stations are available everywhere. But hey. I heard germany and the netherlands are the only idiots left in europe, who don't take tolls for their highways. Sometimes I almost only see eastern Europe trucks and cars on our A2 highway, travelling towards the west. We could become millionaires...

vandermolen

Quote from: Thom on May 21, 2008, 03:57:12 AM
This is very unfortunate   :'(

Not sure if you mean the non-availability of the BBC iPlayer to non-UK residents or my comments to Jezetha.  If it is the latter, please know that I was only joking (as Johan knows). I may just be being (characteristically) hyper-sensitive, but I just wanted to clarify this in case it is what you were thinking  :)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: vandermolen on May 21, 2008, 06:57:59 AM
Not sure if you mean the non-availability of the BBC iPlayer to non-UK residents or my comments to Jezetha.  If it is the latter, please know that I was only joking (as Johan knows). I may just be being (characteristically) hyper-sensitive, but I just wanted to clarify this in case it is what you were thinking  :)

Thom lives in the Netherlands, too. He was simply crying shoulder to shoulder with me.  ;D

Thom

Right you are Jezetha. And maybe we in the Netherlands and our German neighbours are indeed gradually the exception to the rule as far as internet televison is concerned. Lucky we are as long as it lasts.