Vaughan Williams's Veranda

Started by karlhenning, April 12, 2007, 06:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: vandermolen on June 24, 2008, 05:36:14 AM
Yes, it's a really good CD. Personally I'd have preferred them to use the old British Composers cover art (landscape photo of stormy scene) rather than a photo of a wasp's nest, but it's the music that counts. Having said that my work colleague likes the wasp photo. (my life is really boring isn't it  ::)).

I could listen to you all day. Don't stop.  ;D
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Dundonnell

Quote from: vandermolen on June 24, 2008, 12:34:58 AM
Karl, Johan, Thom, Lethe.

THANK YOU  :)

Berglund's Vaughan Williams Symphony No 4 is just back, with his terrific sibelian Symphony No 6 (one of the few successful recordings, much better than the Hickox in my view) and Gibson's underrated Symphony No 5. I did a review on Amazon. Here is a link:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vaughan-Williams-Symphonies-Nos-6/dp/B0018OAP2U/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1214296116&sr=1-7

Jeffrey

Sir Alexander Gibson in Vaughan Williams?? Astonishing! I cannot remember him programming much Vaughan Williams during his tenure as Principal Conductor of the Royal Scottish National Orchestra(the SNO as it was then). But, of course, VW was very much out of fashion in those days.

Gibson was a fine conductor but suffered from a lack of charisma, a lack of self-confidence and-very sadly-a decline in his later years after giving up his Scottish post. His contribution to music in Scotland-particularly Scottish Opera-was incalculable however.

At a time when only one British symphony orchestra is under the direction of a British conductor(the Halle under Mark Elder) it is worth recalling the glory days of conductors like Boult, Barbirolli, Groves, Pritchard, Del Mar, Gibson, Rignold and Thomson.

vandermolen

Quote from: Dundonnell on June 24, 2008, 06:58:13 AM
Sir Alexander Gibson in Vaughan Williams?? Astonishing! I cannot remember him programming much Vaughan Williams during his tenure as Principal Conductor of the Royal Scottish National Orchestra(the SNO as it was then). But, of course, VW was very much out of fashion in those days.

Gibson was a fine conductor but suffered from a lack of charisma, a lack of self-confidence and-very sadly-a decline in his later years after giving up his Scottish post. His contribution to music in Scotland-particularly Scottish Opera-was incalculable however.

At a time when only one British symphony orchestra is under the direction of a British conductor(the Halle under Mark Elder) it is worth recalling the glory days of conductors like Boult, Barbirolli, Groves, Pritchard, Del Mar, Gibson, Rignold and Thomson.

V good points Colin. Gibson's VW No 5 is excellent (as is his Sibelius box on Chandos).

Good review of concert I attended:

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/stage/opera/article4192745.ece
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Dundonnell

Quote from: vandermolen on June 24, 2008, 03:28:53 PM

V good points Colin. Gibson's VW No 5 is excellent (as is his Sibelius box on Chandos).

Good review of concert I attended:

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/stage/opera/article4192745.ece

Well said, Richard Morrison-a really sensible music critic! I am jealous of you living so near to London and being able to access such concerts :(

Dundonnell

Gibson was a particularly fine Sibelian. I have a number of the Sibelius Tone Poems conducted by Gibson and his version of Symphony No.5.

I was told by an orchestral manager that in his later days he was difficult to engage as a conductor because he appeared to have lost confidence in his own ability to conduct. We all know of composers who ran out of inspiration or who felt that this was the case(Sibelius himself, Bax to an extent) but perhaps we forget that some conductors may feel the same way.

Hmm...think I ought to reflect more on this...

vandermolen

Quote from: Dundonnell on June 24, 2008, 04:03:44 PM
Gibson was a particularly fine Sibelian. I have a number of the Sibelius Tone Poems conducted by Gibson and his version of Symphony No.5.

I was told by an orchestral manager that in his later days he was difficult to engage as a conductor because he appeared to have lost confidence in his own ability to conduct. We all know of composers who ran out of inspiration or who felt that this was the case(Sibelius himself, Bax to an extent) but perhaps we forget that some conductors may feel the same way.

Hmm...think I ought to reflect more on this...

Good point Colin; sad about Alexander Gibson. You're up late tonight!

Dundonnell

Quote from: vandermolen on June 24, 2008, 04:12:02 PM
Good point Colin; sad about Alexander Gibson. You're up late tonight!

The advantages of retirement, Jeffrey :) :)

vandermolen

Quote from: Dundonnell on June 24, 2008, 04:14:01 PM
The advantages of retirement, Jeffrey :) :)

Yes, and I'm jealous of that! (back at work now >:()

vandermolen

I find that I am listening to the Pilgrim's Progress all the time now since seeing it live last Sunday (Hickox, Chandos recording). I am surprised that I ignored this work for so long.

karlhenning

There's one I still know by title only.

Dundonnell

Quote from: vandermolen on June 26, 2008, 11:02:25 AM
I find that I am listening to the Pilgrim's Progress all the time now since seeing it live last Sunday (Hickox, Chandos recording). I am surprised that I ignored this work for so long.

I have the old Boult recording on EMI although I did read the rave reviews of the Hickox. One aspect of the older version are the rehearsal excerpts included on the CD. It is fascinating to listen to Sir Adrian rehearsing the work. What a marvellous English gentleman he was! A type probably now virtually extinct in this country-courteous, polite, old world charm. But what a magnificent musician! His contribution to British music in the 20th century will never die. Almost single-handedly he preserved the traditions and the reputations of many composers who might otherwise have sunk without trace. Ok I am being unfair to Barbirolli but you probably know what I mean :)

vandermolen

Quote from: Dundonnell on June 26, 2008, 11:32:28 AM

I have the old Boult recording on EMI although I did read the rave reviews of the Hickox. One aspect of the older version are the rehearsal excerpts included on the CD. It is fascinating to listen to Sir Adrian rehearsing the work. What a marvellous English gentleman he was! A type probably now virtually extinct in this country-courteous, polite, old world charm. But what a magnificent musician! His contribution to British music in the 20th century will never die. Almost single-handedly he preserved the traditions and the reputations of many composers who might otherwise have sunk without trace. Ok I am being unfair to Barbirolli but you probably know what I mean :)

Yes, I know exactly what you mean. I was lucky enough to see Boult conduct most of the VW symphonies live. His Lyrita Rubbra 7th Symphony is an especial favourite. I have the Boult Pilgrim's Progess too but in some ways the best CD version I have heard is the (unavailable ) Igor Kennaway Northern Opera version in front of an audience. It has the atmosphere of the live performance missing elsewhere (a work colleague lent it to me).

vandermolen

Quote from: karlhenning on June 26, 2008, 11:04:18 AM
There's one I still know by title only.

If you like the 5th Symphony you should like the Pilgrim's Progress.

Dundonnell

Quote from: vandermolen on June 26, 2008, 11:46:14 AM
Yes, I know exactly what you mean. I was lucky enough to see Boult conduct most of the VW symphonies live. His Lyrita Rubbra 7th Symphony is an especial favourite. I have the Boult Pilgrim's Progess too but in some ways the best CD version I have heard is the (unavailable ) Igor Kennaway Northern Opera version in front of an audience. It has the atmosphere of the live performance missing elsewhere (a work colleague lent it to me).

I am sure that I saw Boult conducting once but I cannot recall what or where. Tall, ramrod erect, looking like an Edwardian Colonel.

Sir Malcolm Sargent-who did some VW rather well but whose reputation is still sunk in the slough-conducted the first orchestral concert I attended: Holst's Planets back in the 50s.

vandermolen

Quote from: Dundonnell on June 26, 2008, 12:29:28 PM
I am sure that I saw Boult conducting once but I cannot recall what or where. Tall, ramrod erect, looking like an Edwardian Colonel.

Sir Malcolm Sargent-who did some VW rather well but whose reputation is still sunk in the slough-conducted the first orchestral concert I attended: Holst's Planets back in the 50s.

Sargent is underrated. His BBC Planets is one of the best+excellent Walton No 1, Tallis Fantasia, VW No 4, Sea Symphony+ my favourite Sibelius No 5.

rubio

Are there some recommended recording of his string quartets? What do you think of these works?
"One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain" Bob Marley

Christo

Quote from: rubio on June 28, 2008, 09:47:38 AM
Are there some recommended recording of his string quartets? What do you think of these works?

Both are quintessentially Vaughan Williams: the First from his `French' years, 1908, around the time of his short private study with Maurice Ravel, and indeed sounding as if he had had a tea with Debussy, the Second in his `mature' style, from the time of the Second World War, contemporary with the Fifth Symphony.

One of the best versions is by the Maggini Quartet for Naxos, offering an extra advantage in their coupling with the equally interesting Phantasy Quintet from 1912.

Recommended!   

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

vandermolen

Quote from: rubio on June 28, 2008, 09:47:38 AM

The Naxos is v good and, coincidentally, I just wrote some notes for a CD of the String Quartets and Phantasy Quartet coming out on 1st August on the budget label Alto. The is with the English String Quartet and was a highly regarded CD when it originally appeared on the Unicorn Kanchana Label. Johan is right, the First Quartet shown the influence of Ravel, whom VW had recently studied with, but such an influence is assimilated into VWs early style and the quartet shows the influence of Folk song too. The Second Quartet, a great work in my view, comes from a crucial transitional phase in VW's musical development, between the 5th and 6th symphonies. It is a turbulent wartime work, for three movements and then the finale (Epilogue) returns to the benedictory mood of the finale of the 5th Symphony. The Phantasy Quartet is a lovely early work c 1912.

J.Z. Herrenberg

I see this at eMusic. Worthwhile? How does it compare with the Naxos? Listening to a sample of the first movement of the Second SQ the Medici take things slower than the Maginni.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato