Vaughan Williams's Veranda

Started by karlhenning, April 12, 2007, 06:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Camphy and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

scarpia

Quote from: drogulus on September 24, 2008, 01:13:59 PM
      The only complete set I have is Boult II, and I can't think of any better starting point, unless you don't mind antique mono sound in the first 7 of Boult I (8 & 9 are stereo).

I can't imagine any worse starting point.  That's the one I had first, and it more or less convinced me that I hated Vaughan Williams.  Haitink is far superior (at least to the extent that I enjoy V-W now). 

karlhenning

Very interesting, scarps. The first I'd heard of the symphonies, it was Previn, who seems well-regarded. Yet, FWIW, similarly, I came away from Previn thinking that, perhaps, RVW as a symphonist was not for me.

pjme

great opportunity!

RVW's "Hodie" will be performed in Eindhoven 19/12, Breda 20/12,Tilburg 21/12 en s'Hertogenbosch 22/12

Christopher Seaman conducts the Brabant orchestra & soli

More details later

Peter

Christo

Quote from: pjme on September 25, 2008, 03:02:08 AM
great opportunity!

RVW's "Hodie" will be performed in Eindhoven 19/12, Breda 20/12,Tilburg 21/12 en s'Hertogenbosch 22/12

Christopher Seaman conducts the Brabant orchestra & soli

More details later

Peter

Thanks for telling us! The same orchestra, but onder Petri Sakari, once played the Sinfonia Antartica for me in 's Hertogenbosch - the only performance of it I ever attended. Now it's Hodie. I actually heard a performance of Hodie in Utrecht, somewhere in the early 1990s, and enjoyed it life much more than I had done before, with only two recordings available (in those days). Hope to see one of these in December!

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Archaic Torso of Apollo

the concerto for one or more pianos

I haven't had time to wade through this whole thread, but I don't see much discussion of VW's Piano Concerto.

I've never heard it, but it seems that VW fans rate it highly. I am also aware that it exists in two versions, for either 1 or 2 pianos. So I'd like to get some feedback from those who know it:

1. In your opinion, is this one of VW's better or best works?

2. Which version do you prefer and why?
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Mark G. Simon

Ralph Vaughan Williams upon scoring the last movement of his 8th symphony:

I beat the gongs that make the whole world sing
I beat the 'spiels, the 'phones and everything.
I beat the drums that make the calfskins cry.
I beat the gongs, I beat the gongs.

sound67

Quote from: ChamberNut on September 24, 2008, 08:50:21 AM
I saw the Naxos complete set of Vaughan Williams symphonies for $39.99 CDN at a book store last night.  (w/ Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra and Chorus, conducted by Paul Daniel (1,4) and Kees Bakels (2,3,5-9)

Value for money?    :)

No. The Bakels readings are highly uneven (solid London and 3rd, mediocre 5th and 9the, appealing 8th, excellent 7th (despite the use of an electronic organ), hopeless 6th, and Daniel's 1st and 4th are only so-so. The weakest cycle of them all, except maybe Andrew Davis' which only has a strong 6th going for it.

The Boult I and Handley sets are great value for money. The Boult 1-7 from Set I (Decca) are mono, but superior to his later set, with the possible exception of the "Sea" Symphony, in which both Boult I and II are the yardsticks for every other conductor. Handley's set is super-budget-priced, too, and has no real weak spots, and good to excellent sound.

Thomas
"Vivaldi didn't compose 500 concertos. He composed the same concerto 500 times" - Igor Stravinsky

"Mozart is a menace to musical progress, a relic of rituals that were losing relevance in his own time and are meaningless to ours." - Norman Lebrecht

Tapio Dimitriyevich Shostakovich

Quote from: drogulus on September 20, 2008, 08:29:10 AMNot lossless, but really worth having. I mean really:
[Hodie]
OK, no protesters here: I ordered it from an amazon-seller... :)

drogulus

Quote from: scarpia on September 24, 2008, 02:20:04 PM
I can't imagine any worse starting point.  That's the one I had first, and it more or less convinced me that I hated Vaughan Williams.  Haitink is far superior (at least to the extent that I enjoy V-W now). 

I don't think very many listeners will be inspired to hate Vaughan Williams based on any of these sets. Anyway, no recommendation will satisfy everyone.

Quote from: Wurstwasser on September 25, 2008, 08:18:08 AM
[Hodie]
OK, no protesters here: I ordered it from an amazon-seller... :)

The chance to hear Baker and Lewis sing Hodie after hearing them in Elgar's The Dream of Gerontius was just impossible to resist. I think you'll like the version of the Christmas Carols, too.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:126.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/126.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

vandermolen

Quote from: Spitvalve on September 25, 2008, 07:21:08 AM
the concerto for one or more pianos

I haven't had time to wade through this whole thread, but I don't see much discussion of VW's Piano Concerto.

I've never heard it, but it seems that VW fans rate it highly. I am also aware that it exists in two versions, for either 1 or 2 pianos. So I'd like to get some feedback from those who know it:

1. In your opinion, is this one of VW's better or best works?

2. Which version do you prefer and why?

I like the Piano Concerto and was sorry to miss it at the Proms this year (it is rarely performed). IMHO it is a great work, with a craggy/poetic quality which appeals to me (like the Fantasia on the Old 104th psalm). My favourite version is the one for two pianos (Vronsky/Babin/Boult on EMI), coupled with my favourite recording of Job (which is one of his greatest works). An excellent CD.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

drogulus

Quote from: vandermolen on September 25, 2008, 12:50:15 PM

I like the Piano Concerto and was sorry to miss it at the Proms this year (it is rarely performed). IMHO it is a great work, with a craggy/poetic quality which appeals to me (like the Fantasia on the Old 104th psalm). My favourite version is the one for two pianos (Vronsky/Babin/Boult on EMI), coupled with my favourite recording of Job (which is one of his greatest works). An excellent CD.

Have you heard the Handley recording with Piers Lane? It's very good, I think, and it comes with the Delius Piano Concerto and Finzi's Eclogue, altogether a very interesting combination.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:126.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/126.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

hautbois

Was it because i performed in the orchestra and am being nostalgic about it, or was it because the performance was damn good (which was probably not), or was it because the 2nd symphony is really a masterpiece, whatever the reason, 5 minutes onwards the 2nd movement, my goosebumps come every single listening, and yes, with this crappy low quality recording...thought i should share it with everyone here who is a VW fan...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KrtnTmecAE

M forever

drogulus

Quote from: hautbois on September 29, 2008, 09:36:17 AM
Was it because i performed in the orchestra and am being nostalgic about it, or was it because the performance was damn good (which was probably not), or was it because the 2nd symphony is really a masterpiece, whatever the reason, 5 minutes onwards the 2nd movement, my goosebumps come ever single listening, and yes, with this crappy low quality recording...thought i should share it with everyone here who is a VW fan...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KrtnTmecAE

Thank you. The performance was outstanding! You captured the magic of this nocturnal music with great fidelity! And though this symphony is not one of my favorites among the Vaughan Williams symphonies, it would easily be considered a masterpiece if written by anyone else. This movement in particular can be seen as looking forward to the truly great 3rd and 5th symphonies, though it can be appreciated for itself and not for that alone. And I get goosebumps too when I hear this music!  :)

hautbois

Quote from: M forever on September 29, 2008, 01:24:39 PM
Can you be seen in the video?

Yes indeed, principal oboe on this video.  ;D

Howard

hautbois

Quote from: drogulus on September 29, 2008, 01:41:49 PM
     Thank you. The performance was outstanding! You captured the magic of this nocturnal music with great fidelity! And though this symphony is not one of my favorites among the Vaughan Williams symphonies, it would easily be considered a masterpiece if written by anyone else. This movement in particular can be seen as looking forward to the truly great 3rd and 5th symphonies, though it can be appreciated for itself and not for that alone. And I get goosebumps too when I hear this music!  :)

Thanks for the comment and for viewing! Glad you enjoyed it!

Howard

M forever

That's a pretty respectable performance for a youth orchestra, especially with that horrible conductor. Next time you see him, tell him to take his &*(#*&#()!@! head out of score and the stick out of his @@*.

I am not sure I could see you though. Are you the guy with the rectangular glasses and the Mr Spock haircut?

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: hautbois on September 29, 2008, 07:34:44 PM
Yes indeed, principal oboe on this video.  ;D

Howard

Excellent performance, Howard. I'm very impressed. It's nice to see, and hear, you too!

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

hautbois

Quote from: M forever on September 29, 2008, 09:11:10 PM
That's a pretty respectable performance for a youth orchestra, especially with that horrible conductor. Next time you see him, tell him to take his &*(#*&#()!@! head out of score and the stick out of his @@*.

I am not sure I could see you though. Are you the guy with the rectangular glasses and the Mr Spock haircut?

Indeed i am the Asian reincarnation of Spock. Not exactly a very impressive comment Mr M. Hah....and anyhow, i dont understand why you are so pissed with our conductor? He contributed a lot in the Malaysian music scene, despite whatever individual might doubt in his artistic capabilities. And definitely, he was inspiring the youngsters, which included me, in that particular performance if not all before. Still, thanks for viewing.  ;D

Howard

vandermolen

Quote from: drogulus on September 26, 2008, 12:39:24 PM
     Have you heard the Handley recording with Piers Lane? It's very good, I think, and it comes with the Delius Piano Concerto and Finzi's Eclogue, altogether a very interesting combination.

Yes, I have that CD too. It is a very good programme. The Piano Concerto is well-served on record.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).